looking to buy a 2011 180 Fisherman

second time

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am going to look at a 2011 Grady 180 fisherman with 150 four stroke up here in NJ. The boat was seasonally kept in water. Are there any common problems I should keep an eye out on my inspection and sea trial. I have bought and sold many boats but this will be my first Grady in a long time.

Thanks for any advice!

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I have the 180, 2000 model year and it has been a great boat for me. The boat you are looking at isnt that old so make sure everthing works. Check the condition of the wiring under the console. About the only thing I've had to mess with on mine is replace the bilge pump, royal pia, and fix some electrical connections now and then. Mine is kept on a trailer and used less than 100 motor running hours a year. My boat shines like new when waxed and polished. You can usually tell the condition and how meticulous or not the boat was kept in about 10 minutes, especially a small boat.
Good luck!
Pat

Reactions: mhinch

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I'm putting a new to me, 2004 into the water this year. My first "large boat" ;).
Things I would look at...
  1. Check the transom for water intrusion and the "bang cap" area, the top of the transom under the aluminum angle stock. Just do a search here for bang cap and you'll find plenty. Mine is being repaired now in a shop, I didn't have the means to lift the engine off.
  2. Bilge and live well pumps, as stated, PITA to service.
  3. See if you can get any info about how long the gas has been in the tank.
  4. Mine was trailered and had a clean bottom, I had to prep, 2 coats barrier and Hydrocoat so I got a good look at the hull. I'd ask if the seller knows what's under the antifouling paint, what system was used.
  5. May sound trivial but cushions can be expensive to replace, check them out too.

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I have a whole set of 180 cushions for sale on the for sale page if you need any. Yes they can be very expensive.