Looking to buy a Sailfish or Marlin - Washington State

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Sailfish or Marlin for the Washington State area (I'm in Point Roberts). If you're thinking of selling please let me know.

*** I've updated this since I'm now interested in a Marlin too. I intend to re-power so I'm mostly interested in a good boat. The rigging & motors would be re-done. Something likely in the 2000 - 2010 range.

Kevin Dempsey 919.780.0806

Last edited:

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter

EhGrady

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had been looking for five years on and off and finally found a very clean 05 with new power in Washington last October. Obviously this is a very popular boat in the pacific NW and good ones don't come up often. There are currently two in BC in the 01 to 07 year range. One is cleaner than the other. Goodluck.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240219_100823_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240219_100823_Chrome.jpg
    945.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20240219_100807_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240219_100807_Chrome.jpg
    816.7 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: KevinPointRoberts
Reaction score
Thanks for this. The U.S. prices are lower (as expected). It seems an ideal design.

Northern Lass

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Kevin,
Have you found the Grady you were looking for? My husband purchased a Sailfish 25S, as a project back in 2018. She is named Spare Time and is a 200???? something. He intended to clean her up and re-rig her but just has had no time. His business is thriving and we since purchased a lake lot moving his priorities. This major project no longer is doable.
I would love your thoughts on how to use this forum to see if someone else might appreciate her and take this daunting project on.
Carol - Northern Lass Prince George, BC

Attachments

• IMG_3619.jpeg
    IMG_3619.jpeg
    990.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3620.jpeg
    IMG_3620.jpeg
    705.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3622 (2).jpeg
    IMG_3622 (2).jpeg
    563.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_3622.jpeg
    IMG_3622.jpeg
    892.9 KB · Views: 20

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hi Kevin,
Have you found the Grady you were looking for? My husband purchased a Sailfish 25S, as a project back in 2018. She is named Spare Time and is a 200???? something. He intended to clean her up and re-rig her but just has had no time. His business is thriving and we since purchased a lake lot moving his priorities. This major project no longer is doable.
I would love your thoughts on how to use this forum to see if someone else might appreciate her and take this daunting project on.
Based off the pictures of your boat, I'd say it's a late 1980's to mid 1990's model, especially since Grady White discontinued making the 25 Sailfish and changed it up in the late 1990's to a 272/282 Sailfish. While there isn't really anything necessarily wrong with that, it wasn't until 1992 where GW came out with their SeaV2 hull design, which replaced the older SeaV1 hull design. If it's a 1991 or older boat, which you can pretty easily find this information out by looking at the hull number on the stern of the boat, then it'll be the older SeaV1 hull design which isn't as popular or sought after. Still not a dealbreaker for some, and I'm sure there might be a few people out there looking for a project. That being said, it's definitely not a 2000's boat. Of which looking on the Grady White website in their brochures, they made the vessel up until 1994 it appears, and then it became the 272 Sailfish after that in 1995. Again either way, it's not a dealbreaker for some that might be looking for a project, I just wanted to clarify the vintage of the vessel. Good luck with the sale.

To Kevin the OP, I'd list a few wants and wishes that you're looking for in regard to the boat as well as your budget. Those things can help narrow down a lot of boats that aren't going to be contenders. Also, I'd say the maximum amount of distance you want to travel to get the boat. I live in the Seattle area and have a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer that I bought on the east coast and then trailered her 3,009 miles out here to Seattle back in October of 2021. I always buy on the east coast because as I'm sure you well know by now, prices for everything out here are ridiculous. I bought my boat in Maryland for $26.5k and have seen multiple almost identical boats sell in that time out here for $55k-$65k. I'd consider looking back east and then either doing the drive yourself or having a shipping company trailer the boat out here for you. If you can find one for the right price, you can buy the boat, have it shipped out here and save quite a bit of money in the process.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
CA been listed a while and price reduced

I'm going to assume with there not being any mention of hours on the ad, as well as the length of time it's been for sale and the price reduction that it's because there are substantial amounts of hours on the motors.

Reaction score
Based off the pictures of your boat, I'd say it's a late 1980's to mid 1990's model, especially since Grady White discontinued making the 25 Sailfish and changed it up in the late 1990's to a 272/282 Sailfish. While there isn't really anything necessarily wrong with that, it wasn't until 1992 where GW came out with their SeaV2 hull design, which replaced the older SeaV1 hull design. If it's a 1991 or older boat, which you can pretty easily find this information out by looking at the hull number on the stern of the boat, then it'll be the older SeaV1 hull design which isn't as popular or sought after. Still not a dealbreaker for some, and I'm sure there might be a few people out there looking for a project. That being said, it's definitely not a 2000's boat. Of which looking on the Grady White website in their brochures, they made the vessel up until 1994 it appears, and then it became the 272 Sailfish after that in 1995. Again either way, it's not a dealbreaker for some that might be looking for a project, I just wanted to clarify the vintage of the vessel. Good luck with the sale.

To Kevin the OP, I'd list a few wants and wishes that you're looking for in regard to the boat as well as your budget. Those things can help narrow down a lot of boats that aren't going to be contenders. Also, I'd say the maximum amount of distance you want to travel to get the boat. I live in the Seattle area and have a 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer that I bought on the east coast and then trailered her 3,009 miles out here to Seattle back in October of 2021. I always buy on the east coast because as I'm sure you well know by now, prices for everything out here are ridiculous. I bought my boat in Maryland for $26.5k and have seen multiple almost identical boats sell in that time out here for $55k-$65k. I'd consider looking back east and then either doing the drive yourself or having a shipping company trailer the boat out here for you. If you can find one for the right price, you can buy the boat, have it shipped out here and save quite a bit of money in the process.
Thanks so much for this. You've provided some good ideas. I think that the Prince George boat is too old for me. I'd also noticed that the east coast prices were lower. I've heard different stories on trailering. Do you need a commercial (CDL) drivers license since the trailer rating on most is in the 14K lb range? I went to see the sailfish in Madera CA earlier this week and transport became an issue. I'm now thinking more of a Marlin. I don't mind a little work (and am not concerned about the motors since I want to re-power) but do want all else to be in good shape. Thanks. Kevin

Reactions: Mustang65fbk
Reaction score
Hi Kevin,
Thanks for this. I'm still looking for a boat but something newer and maybe more ready to go (except the motors & rigging that I intend to re-power). Kevin

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Thanks so much for this. You've provided some good ideas. I think that the Prince George boat is too old for me. I'd also noticed that the east coast prices were lower. I've heard different stories on trailering. Do you need a commercial (CDL) drivers license since the trailer rating on most is in the 14K lb range? I went to see the sailfish in Madera CA earlier this week and transport became an issue. I'm now thinking more of a Marlin. I don't mind a little work (and am not concerned about the motors since I want to re-power) but do want all else to be in good shape. Thanks. Kevin
See if you can negotiate a price reduction and get a quote from uship to get it delivered to you

Northern Lass

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

Great Information. I will look harder for our Inspection report that we paid for when we brought Spare Time to PG. I'm sure it has all the pertinent details we need to properly advertise her for sale. Most appreciated.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No problem. I've never heard of anyone having an issue for personal use and towing under 20k lbs. I think where you start to have an issue or a gray area is when you're doing it for a profit and I think it's over like 23k or 26k lbs that you're hauling. Which you'd be well short of that at only 14k lbs. They do still make the 300 Marlin, which might make it a bit more of a popular or readily available model to choose from. East coast prices are generally quite a bit lower for what you get, though with Spring "hopefully" approaching in the distant future, I think the prices are only going to go up from there. So, I'd be looking right now into what you're going to buy for this Spring/Summer. What was the transport issue with the California boat? Southern California is only about 1,300 miles south of the Seattle area, and then maybe another 100 miles or so up to where you are? Of which a transport, or even yourself doing the drive should only take 2 days total to do something like that. In one of my boat purchases on the east coast where I did the roundtrip out there and back, there were two days where I put in 1,100-1,200 miles of driving each day. Not that I'd recommend anyone doing something like that, but with only about 1,400 miles of driving, you could easily do around 700 miles of driving each day. If going 700 miles and driving 70 mph, that's 10 hours, which if you left on day one at around 7-8 in the morning, you should be done around probably 7 at night. And that would include stops for fuel, food, bathroom breaks and so forth. Or You could even make a long weekend out of it by doing 3 days and driving fewer miles each day. In fact, looking on Boat Trader as we speak, there are 43 different 300 Marlin's as opposed to only 19 different 282 Sailfish for sale. Good luck with whatever you do decide on doing. I'd recommend going to your local Grady White dealer, of which there is one up in Vancouver BC, and then walk around on a 300 Marlin to see how you like it compared to the 282 Sailfish. I'd also recommend that with any boat you purchase, that you always have an accredited marine surveyor inspect the boat, motors and trailer for you to make sure you're getting them in the condition they're advertised to be in. Good luck and keep us up to date with what you decide on doing.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great Information. I will look harder for our Inspection report that we paid for when we brought Spare Time to PG. I'm sure it has all the pertinent details we need to properly advertise her for sale. Most appreciated.
No problem. The hull number is stamped onto the outside rear or stern of the vessel as well, so you should be able to see it just from walking behind the vessel. Usually it's located on I believe the starboard side of the vessel, or at least I believe that's where it is at on my boat. On Google, as well as this site, they have a Grady White hull number decoder to where you can find out what the letters and numbers mean on your particular boat or in regards to your particular hull number. Good luck.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
See if you can negotiate a price reduction and get a quote from uship to get it delivered to you
I'm assuming they'll probably charge him at least $3k-$4k to do the drive. Of which I imagine the drive could be done for half of that or less if he were to do it himself. That's what I'd do anyway because as mentioned above, you could fly down on a Friday afternoon or evening, leave Saturday morning and be back by Sunday night. I know that Enterprise in the past has done one way pickup truck rentals from some of their locations for a pretty reasonable price. If you could find a cheap flight down and a decent deal on a rental truck, you could save a bit of money.

Reaction score
No problem. I've never heard of anyone having an issue for personal use and towing under 20k lbs. I think where you start to have an issue or a gray area is when you're doing it for a profit and I think it's over like 23k or 26k lbs that you're hauling. Which you'd be well short of that at only 14k lbs. They do still make the 300 Marlin, which might make it a bit more of a popular or readily available model to choose from. East coast prices are generally quite a bit lower for what you get, though with Spring "hopefully" approaching in the distant future, I think the prices are only going to go up from there. So, I'd be looking right now into what you're going to buy for this Spring/Summer. What was the transport issue with the California boat? Southern California is only about 1,300 miles south of the Seattle area, and then maybe another 100 miles or so up to where you are? Of which a transport, or even yourself doing the drive should only take 2 days total to do something like that. In one of my boat purchases on the east coast where I did the roundtrip out there and back, there were two days where I put in 1,100-1,200 miles of driving each day. Not that I'd recommend anyone doing something like that, but with only about 1,400 miles of driving, you could easily do around 700 miles of driving each day. If going 700 miles and driving 70 mph, that's 10 hours, which if you left on day one at around 7-8 in the morning, you should be done around probably 7 at night. And that would include stops for fuel, food, bathroom breaks and so forth. Or You could even make a long weekend out of it by doing 3 days and driving fewer miles each day. In fact, looking on Boat Trader as we speak, there are 43 different 300 Marlin's as opposed to only 19 different 282 Sailfish for sale. Good luck with whatever you do decide on doing. I'd recommend going to your local Grady White dealer, of which there is one up in Vancouver BC, and then walk around on a 300 Marlin to see how you like it compared to the 282 Sailfish. I'd also recommend that with any boat you purchase, that you always have an accredited marine surveyor inspect the boat, motors and trailer for you to make sure you're getting them in the condition they're advertised to be in. Good luck and keep us up to date with what you decide on doing.
I checked with the Washington State DMV and you are correct. No CDL required. Either the California seller was wrong or the regulations are different there. I see more Marlins and so am focused now on them.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I checked with the Washington State DMV and you are correct. No CDL required. Either the California seller was wrong or the regulations are different there. I see more Marlins and so am focused now on them.
They're crazy, as a simple Google search could've cleared that up. " You must have a CDL to operate: Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more. Any single vehicle with a GVWR less than 26,000 pounds which is designed, used, or maintained to transport more than 10 passengers (including the driver)." So... it sounds like it's pretty similar to Washington state. Either way, sounds like you've move on to a bigger boat. Good luck with your search.