Looking to buy a used 208 Adventure

Ruddyhair

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Hi everyone,

First time posting. Much love and thanks for having me. It’s a great forum. Been doing a fair bit of reading and appreciate all of the knowledge on here. However, even after all the reading, I am still feel a little overwhelmed on where to begin finding a GOOD 208 Adventure. And/or whether I should go right to the 228 for the bigger cabin.

A bit of background. Last boat I owned was a Boston Whaler 17’, so this would be a nice step up in function and space. We have a small 3 person family - and live in North Carlolina. We would like to use it as a weekend+ overnighter in and around Cape Lookout in the sound, and Atlantic side on good days. We are not large people. Casual fishing, exploring, adventure and memories will be the primary purpose.

I contacted the closest dealer to me down in Columbia SC, and was informed they have no used boats, and that prices are through the roof on them. He also mentioned buying used would be the smart option. I tend to agree. So firstly, would you wait to purchase when prices stabilize? Say in a year or so? Or would you continue the search? From what I’ve read, best place to locate something will be on the For Sale section here, Facebook, Craigslist, dealers and boattrader.com. Unfortunately, I’m not experienced enough to know a good one vs bad other than by appearance and age. I read some advice that I will want an independent review of the boat, should I find one I’m interested in by a non-biased professional. I know I want a Grady walk around. Plus, I love the fact they are a home state builder. As far as price, top end budget is 35k, but happier at 30k and below. Boat will be towed with a 1988 Ford F-250 HD 7.3 idi diesel (44k original miles). She’s geared to pull with weighted plates, so no problems there. We’re about 3 hours to the coast. Any and all advice is welcome, thank you all.

seasick

Reaction score
My advice is to look at what's available if any are, but don't set your sights on buying one for this season. That doesn't mean you won't buy but taking that attitude will help keep you from making a decision you may regret later.
As you are aware, this is close to the worst time to buy a used boat and as gas prices stay high, it is even worse for the buyer. I expect larger boat used prices to stabilize and even drop over the year.
In general this is also not the best time to buy being the start of the season. The best time to buy is usually right at the end of the boating season ( in areas with seasonal boating) when folks who are thinking of selling are faced with paying for winterization and winter storage.
So look at as many candidates that you can and over time you will learn what to expect for your dollar. Use that knowledge to help you make a buy decision in the near-term or longer term.
You may also find a boat that you like but it is way over priced. If may not sell and as the season ends, you may be able to get a reduced price.

Ruddyhair

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
That’s great advice. Thank you seasick. That’s kind of what I was thinking too. It’s hard because I want to be able use it this year and not lose summer/fall memories (13 yr old daughter). However financially - I get that it makes sense to be prudent. Anyone have thoughts on 208 vs 228? I believe they are both in my price range, but I’m sure there are trade off’s based on my budget. My thinking is, I would rather have a newer 208 well powered than an older 228; but would love thoughts based on my price range. Thank you.

seasick

Reaction score
Cabin wise the two hulls are very similar. The aft deck is larger on the 228 and may be better for fishing with more people. On my 208, we can fish 3 people comfortably but 4 is tight. With a 13 year old, I expect she will want to invite friends out for a 'sail'. A larger boat may be an advantage. You need to prioritize your needs also. If you think you want to pull a tube or a wakeboarder, that can shift your boat needs.
Both boats are tight for an overnight and that is for 2 people.
Both hulls can handle rough seas better than you and your family can or at least want to:)
With respect to hull age, I would always go for the newer hull over an older one, even to the point of opting for a newer 208 over an older 228 all else being equal.
For Gradys, A boat that is 5 or so years old, is basically new. !0 years is still pretty young assuming the boat was cared for.
Going from the 17 ft BW to a 20 ft or 22 ft Grady will be a dramatic change but then again, after a while you may find yourself and family thinking about going bigger.

MA208

Reaction score
I had a 208 for a number of years. Great boat. Buying in this market you just need to be fast. Have your cash readily accessible and deposit ready to go.

In the 30k price range I’d say Craigslist is a good bet, as well as Facebook. Searchtempest to search Craigslist out farther. Probably more near the coast. Listings should increase every day now as we get into spring.

Read up on all common issues: Yamaha F150 harmonic balancers, F200-250 exhaust corrosion, transom and bang plate issues. None are deal breakers just be informed.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I apologize for the long winded reply in advance, although I actually just went through this entire search dilemma before finally buying my 2004 Grady White 228 Seafarer last October and personally I like the 228 Seafarer much better than the 208 Adventure. I like the fact that the 228 Seafarer is a bigger boat, heavier, most of them have the hardtop, it has an enclosed transom as well as transom bracket on it and is an incredibly versatile boat in that you can fish, crab, cruise, overnight, pulls the kids on an inner tube or waterski behind it. It has a large enough cabin that you can overnight and put all of your fishing gear in and fishing or whatever you do on the boat is plenty comfortable with 3-4 people or even more. I've only had my boat out once since I got her back home last fall but fished with myself, my uncle and my father and all three of us weigh over 250 lbs and are all over 6'2" tall. I also have a pretty fair complexion so it's nice having the hardtop to keep you out of the weather and elements like the sun, rain, wind and everything else. With the hardtop and the canvas installed, it'll keep you dry and fairly warm unless it's freezing or snowing outside.

I personally live in the Seattle area and found my boat on BoatTrader.com back in Maryland, bought a plane ticket, flew out to look over the boat with a forum member, made an offer on it, did a sea trial run and then trailered her back 3009 miles from Maryland to Seattle in 4.5 days. My boat is a 2004 with the hardtop, she has a 2004 Yamaha F225 motor with under 1k hours on her and a 2009 aluminum I-beam trailer. For the boat, motor and trailer package I paid $26.5k and feel like I got a steal on the price as I haven't seen one that new, in the condition, with a newer aluminum I-beam trailer and a 4 stroke motor under 1k hours in quite sometime. I personally had been looking for over a year before finally finding my boat, of which I put offers down on several and even paid a surveyor to go out and inspect one that had damage and several issues to the boat, which I ended up passing on altogether. Lots of boats in your price range are going to potentially have the dry exhaust corrosion issues found on the early to mid 2000's Yamaha 4 stroke motors, most commonly is the F225, but even the others have had it as well. I was fortunate in that my boat didn't have the issue on the motor, even though it isn't too incredibly expensive to fix, but it still does cost $2k per motor. Which includes all of the parts and labor, but if you inspect a boat that does have the issue, you can always deduct that from the sales price.

I always recommend having a marine surveyor inspect the boat with/for you so that hopefully you don't get any surprises after purchasing the boat... such as the dry exhaust corrosion issue, transom rot and so forth. Most marine surveyors are $350 on up, I spent right around $600 on mine for the boat that I ended up not buying. Which was rather frustrating but it did help in that I didn't end up with a can of worms and someone else's issues that they're passing on to someone else. I didn't have the time to have a surveyor inspect my boat this last fall because I was in from out of town and pretty much all of the surveyors in the area were still 2-3 weeks out from being able to look over the boat. The dealer that I bought the boat from is also a Grady White dealer, which made me feel a bit more comfortable doing business with them as opposed to a private party or other dealer, and they had very good reviews online. When I got my boat back to Seattle I had it winterized by a local GW dealer, of which I had them drop the lower unit and inspect for the dry exhaust corrosion issue since the dealer I bought it from said they did and said it looked great, as did the local dealer when they pulled it. So, I'm very happy with my purchase and have been waiting 6 months to get her back out on the water. I honestly wouldn't wait if you're serious about buying a boat, your budget of $35k is definitely in the ballpark and should get you something decent at least and I'm honestly not sure if/when the prices on these boats are going to go back down again. In the for sale section of this forum, another member just sold his boat which is I believe a year older than mine back in Virginia for $52k. Which tells me the market hasn't softened at all, but is only going up.

The big sites are where you're going to find the most traffic like Boat Trader, Boats.com, YachtWorld, Facebook marketplace, Craigslist and so forth. Unfortunately you just missed this one that has been for sale on BT since December and was in your price range at $33k, and appeared to be a decent looking boat. I don't really have any opinion on the 208 Adventure as I've never owned one, nor have I ever been on one before. But I do like the idea of the enclosed transom much more for both safety as well as looks considering that I have a 6 year old niece and parents in their early 70's. The idea of having an open or notched transom was somewhat concerning to me considering who might be going for a ride on my boat, and my parents and I share a beach cabin with a mooring buoy on it, and I didn't want to have an issue with regards to the boat taking on water through the transom while on the buoy. Not saying that it would, but I just didn't want to have to deal with that possibility. Good luck with your search, here are a couple of websites for accredited marine surveyors if you do find a boat you're seriously considering buying. As mentioned above, these boats can sell very quickly, so it's best to have your money or finances all in order so you can jump at a moments notice. Good luck!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Also, I'm not sure if you're interested in a 226 Seafarer but here's one for sale just outside of your price range in Virginia.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Both are great boats and in the end you'll be happy either way. However, if one has the choice I think they would almost always lean towards the 228. It's a bigger boat, closed transom, and you can easily tow it with your truck. So the only real consideration at that point would be price and whether it fits in your driveway as it's longer. Having young kids (4 and 7 now) I did not want the open transom and feel so much safer with them in the 228.

seasick

Reaction score
I have no big issues with the lower transom. Sometimes water will overflow the transom ( usually my own wake or motoring in reverse) but is stopped by the fold down (and up) barrier between the motor well and aft deck. In addition, the motor well and aft deck are self draining should water overflow the motor well.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mustang, apart from being "Great Grady Hunter.com", you must be fast on the keyboard. It would take me a good part of a morning to type out your valued responses to some of us who are of the slow fingered persuasion. But I never had a problem with my thought process keeping up with the fingers. :D Apologies Ruddyhair for the distraction!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Mustang, apart from being "Great Grady Hunter.com", you must be fast on the keyboard. It would take me a good part of a morning to type out your valued responses to some of us who are of the slow fingered persuasion. But I never had a problem with my thought process keeping up with the fingers. :D Apologies Ruddyhair for the distraction!
Haha! I used to be a police dispatcher and 911 call taker for the county that I live in, so I've always needed to be able to type quickly at close to 70 words per minute.

Ruddyhair

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thank you all for your advice and responses. So appreciate the long posts and everyone’s thoughts. It’s nice to be in good company. You all we’re so very kind, and informative! Guess I’ll just have to keep my eyes open and powder dry for either boat really. Guess I’ll see what materializes. BTW Mustang, will definitely be checking out that 228 in Virginia Beach, looks nice - thank you. I also see that m&m sales out of Baltimore, has a 208 listed, and am tempted to inquire. Looks like a fairly nice 2004 at 24k.

So with either the 208 or 228, looks like I’m on the right track based on my needs. Just need to find a good one! It’s nice to be able to voice ones concerns to a knowledgeable group. Especially when looking to get into something they may not know all that much about. And yes, one that comes with considerable cost. I appreciate you all helping me ease into this with some head smarts. And for that, I thank you. Cheers!

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you all for your advice and responses. So appreciate the long posts and everyone’s thoughts. It’s nice to be in good company. You all we’re so very kind, and informative! Guess I’ll just have to keep my eyes open and powder dry for either boat really. Guess I’ll see what materializes. BTW Mustang, will definitely be checking out that 228 in Virginia Beach, looks nice - thank you. I also see that m&m sales out of Baltimore, has a 208 listed, and am tempted to inquire. Looks like a fairly nice 2004 at 24k.

So with either the 208 or 228, looks like I’m on the right track based on my needs. Just need to find a good one! It’s nice to be able to voice ones concerns to a knowledgeable group. Especially when looking to get into something they may not know all that much about. And yes, one that comes with considerable cost. I appreciate you all helping me ease into this with some head smarts. And for that, I thank you. Cheers!
The one I linked in Virginia Beach is a 226 Seafarer and they make two models, a 226 as well as a 228 Seafarer, of which the 226 Seafarer has an open or notched transom whereas the 228 Seafarer has an enclosed transom as well as a transom bracket. So, if you're considering the 208 Adventure then I'd also consider the 226 Seafarer as well since it's a similar designed transom but is a considerably bigger boat. I personally like the 228 Seafarer better for the reasons listed above like safety, having a live-well built into the transom instead of it being open or notched and not taking water in from the stern of the boat either. I like that the transom bracket on the 228 Seafarer also extends the length of the boat out some and makes it a bit more stable for fishing and boating on. It sounds like almost either would work for you with your particular application as well as interests. I think your best bet would be to go and look at all three models in person and see which boat works out best for you. Good luck with your search!

Reactions: Ruddyhair

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The 2003 GW 228 Seafarer that I listed above as pending, no longer has a "pending offer" flag on it. It appears to still be available for sale, if anyone is interested. No, I don't have any affiliation with the boat, just passing it along to anyone that's interested.

Ruddyhair

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Thank you Mustang. I had planned on inquiring about that boat. A revoked offer makes me wonder... That said, does anyone have experience/opinions on m&m boats? Plan on inquiring on a 208 they have for sale.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you Mustang. I had planned on inquiring about that boat. A revoked offer makes me wonder... That said, does anyone have experience/opinions on m&m boats? Plan on inquiring on a 208 they have for sale.
I know that this particular 228 Seafarer has had two "Pending Offer" flags on it that have since been removed for one reason or another. The first was I believe from a member on here that for some reason made an offer on the boat prior to having the proper sized tow rig? I'm not sure why one would make an offer on a boat when they don't have a large enough tow rig to transport said boat with, or factor that into their budget. But the member on here mentioned he made an offer on a very similar boat in a very similar location for a very similar price that also coincidentally the same boat had a "Pending Offer" flag posted on it the same day that he made the post on here. Coincidence? Maybe? Anyway, that is I'm thinking the reasoning for the first pending offer being rescinded or revoked but I have no idea about the second one. Typically imo at least, it seems like 9 times out of 10 it's because the "buyer" or more like "potential buyer" either can't secure the funds or has some sort of issue with regards to their finances. Or they have "buyer's remorse" on a boat or whatever it is that they haven't even technically purchased yet. Either way, I'd say it's at least worth a 5-10 minute phone call to inquire on the boat and see if it's something you'd be interested in potentially buying.

With regards to M&M boats, I've seen most of their boats advertised on Craigslist off and on over the past several years when I've been looking for boats on the east coast. I don't have any direct correspondence or feedback for them as a business, but I've seen their boats listed on Craigslist off and on over the years. They've got fantastic reviews on Google, that being said the boat they've got listed at $25k looks somewhat rough in some of the pictures. The pictures don't appear to be that great, which is odd because they usually have larger, clearer pictures on their site or on Craigslist. In some of the pictures there appear to be a few scratches, scrapes and it even looks like some fiberglass repairs that have been done. It also doesn't mention anywhere in their descriptions of the boat as to whether it comes with a trailer or not, as well as the trailer that is in the video and some of the pictures, is a single axle trailer. Which I'm assuming means it's not included with the boat since most single axle trailers are made for smaller boats like 19' and under, also both ads say that they're a Venture trailer dealer. Lastly, the motor is a Yamaha 175 hp HPDI motor, which means it's a 2 stroke motor and not a 4 stroke motor, which for me is a deal breaker. They've got the boat listed at $25k and if it doesn't come with a trailer, there's another $4k or more, and it comes with a 2 stroke motor as opposed to a 4 stroke... I think it's very, very much overpriced and is the reason why it's been for sale as long as it has been. My 2004 GW 228 Seafarer that I bought last October also in Maryland for $26.5k included the boat, motor and trailer. I'd pass on the 208 Adventure and look at the 228 Seafarer that I've linked above instead, or at least that's what I'd personally do. Also, not sure why they'd have a 2 stroke motor on a 2004 model year boat, they obviously would've come with a 4 stroke new from the factory, of which I'm guessing they did a re-power on this one and went cheap by going with a used 2 stroke. Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:

Ruddyhair

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
So very much appreciate your opinion Mustang. That all makes perfect sense. I did notice the 175hp. Based on money and everything, much better going with the better, larger boat. For sure want the 4 stroke. That would be a deal breaker, plus trailer as well. Will call on the 228 tomorrow to get the skinny.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So very much appreciate your opinion Mustang. That all makes perfect sense. I did notice the 175hp. Based on money and everything, much better going with the better, larger boat. For sure want the 4 stroke. That would be a deal breaker, plus trailer as well. Will call on the 228 tomorrow to get the skinny.
If you, or anyone else is looking for a 226 Seafarer, here's a 2006 for only $28k. Looks like a screaming deal and has a trailer as well as a hardtop.

versfeldp

Reaction score
I was in your exact position a little over a year ago - although looking at CCs. Ended up with a 209 Escape after a year on the lookout. Like you, I checked dealers, Boat Trader.com sites, even traveled to New England, as many of my models seemed to be in the NE. I’m out of central North Carolina and ended up finding my boat on the lot of a broker in Morehead City! After my discovery I realized that I should probably have started with a broker - provided them with my specs and allowed them to help in the search. They had much more time and knowledge of the markets and vessels to shop, but in the end they made it a very easy process when getting the surveys, registration, etc, etc.

Best of luck - and when you get all squared away, maybe I’ll see you at Lookout or Shackleford.

Reactions: Ruddyhair

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I know that this particular 228 Seafarer has had two "Pending Offer" flags on it that have since been removed for one reason or another. The first was I believe from a member on here that for some reason made an offer on the boat prior to having the proper sized tow rig? I'm not sure why one would make an offer on a boat when they don't have a large enough tow rig to transport said boat with, or factor that into their budget. But the member on here mentioned he made an offer on a very similar boat in a very similar location for a very similar price that also coincidentally the same boat had a "Pending Offer" flag posted on it the same day that he made the post on here. Coincidence? Maybe? Anyway, that is I'm thinking the reasoning for the first pending offer being rescinded or revoked but I have no idea about the second one. Typically imo at least, it seems like 9 times out of 10 it's because the "buyer" or more like "potential buyer" either can't secure the funds or has some sort of issue with regards to their finances. Or they have "buyer's remorse" on a boat or whatever it is that they haven't even technically purchased yet. Either way, I'd say it's at least worth a 5-10 minute phone call to inquire on the boat and see if it's something you'd be interested in potentially buying.

With regards to M&M boats, I've seen most of their boats advertised on Craigslist off and on over the past several years when I've been looking for boats on the east coast. I don't have any direct correspondence or feedback for them as a business, but I've seen their boats listed on Craigslist off and on over the years. They've got fantastic reviews on Google, that being said the boat they've got listed at $25k looks somewhat rough in some of the pictures. The pictures don't appear to be that great, which is odd because they usually have larger, clearer pictures on their site or on Craigslist. In some of the pictures there appear to be a few scratches, scrapes and it even looks like some fiberglass repairs that have been done. It also doesn't mention anywhere in their descriptions of the boat as to whether it comes with a trailer or not, as well as the trailer that is in the video and some of the pictures, is a single axle trailer. Which I'm assuming means it's not included with the boat since most single axle trailers are made for smaller boats like 19' and under, also both ads say that they're a Venture trailer dealer. Lastly, the motor is a Yamaha 175 hp HPDI motor, which means it's a 2 stroke motor and not a 4 stroke motor, which for me is a deal breaker. They've got the boat listed at $25k and if it doesn't come with a trailer, there's another $4k or more, and it comes with a 2 stroke motor as opposed to a 4 stroke... I think it's very, very much overpriced and is the reason why it's been for sale as long as it has been. My 2004 GW 228 Seafarer that I bought last October also in Maryland for $26.5k included the boat, motor and trailer. I'd pass on the 208 Adventure and look at the 228 Seafarer that I've linked above instead, or at least that's what I'd personally do. Also, not sure why they'd have a 2 stroke motor on a 2004 model year boat, they obviously would've come with a 4 stroke new from the factory, of which I'm guessing they did a re-power on this one and went cheap by going with a used 2 stroke. Just my opinion, of course.
When I sold my old boat, I had one guy come check it out and he drove a small sedan. He asked if I could tow it to his house 45 minutes away. That was a very quick no and that he would need to figure it out if he wanted the boat. I didn't need that hassle when I had many others interested.