Looking to buy Marlin any advice?

teaklejr

Reaction score
Wife and I are starting to look for what I think we have settled on and it’s going to be a Marlin. I really like the 2000-2003 with the molded in bench seat since we really don’t fish much the lack of a big fish box is not a big deal to us. We looked at 3 so far and each one had chipping around the edges of the hardtop is that an easy fix? They also had some staining on the inside headliner carpet from I assume the cabin windows leaking at some point and was wondering if new windows are available and has anyone ever replaced the carpet around the ceiling? Two were nothing I would consider but one 2000 had 2016 Yamaha 300 digital motors and was in very nice shape for the age of boat. Just wondering what we should be looking for even before we get a survey done. We are looking to hopefully spend less than 100k and realize it won’t be perfect but I am sure we can find something. Is buying a almost 20 year old boat that we will probably keep for at least 10 years smart or try and find something around a 2005-2007 even if it cost a little more? Any advice would be great.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Some things to consider:
- Molded seat is fine, had one on my 282. If you get a newer one, the fishbox makes a great cooler or storage spot. Don't count it out.
- Chipping around the hardtop and lids is a problem with gradys - especially those not shrinkwrapped. Water makes its way in on the bottom side and expands and chips it. Make sure you cover it for winter layup if in cold areas.
- Windows can be changed if you locate and same with the monkey fur on the sides. With your budget, I think you can find something newer.
- Companion seat gives extra seating and helm room. The only negative is the seat is a little lower than the helm seat. Some can't see out the windshield easily.
- Well proven design and layout.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Best bang for your buck.....A 2000-2003 boat in good shape with original 2 stroke motors, old electronics.... and spend your money on brand new repower and updated electronics.

Boxster964

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have to tell you I just purchased a 2000 Marlin and it only has 90 hrs on it runs great. But not sure if I would do it again. This boat barely has a scratch on it cabin never was used generator has 20hrs on it. But I have all of these issues you described and more. I have made certain this boat only has 90 hrs and spent what little time over the water on a lift then covered on land for 9 years. The walk through step to the helm is so bad I had to remove it. It is absolutely disgraceful the hatches literally are falling apart. This happened because they and the hard top were not sealed properly when any hardware was attached to them. The hardtop is trashed of an embarrassing disaster giant chips or pieces of Gel coat literally flys off as your driving. The other disaster are the hatches and a hard top that looks like the Moons surface hatches balsa core shot and questionable manufacturing they should not use any of the body filler type material to make corners smooth. its crap. They should just use fiber/resin keeps expansion rates the same . The worst part Grady White not helpful at all. Do not count on them for anything. I continue to own a old boat from 1976 Sea ray 300 it doesn't have any of these issues hatches are perfect. I bought the Marlin because a perceived reputation for quality please tell were this reputation was earned. Hopefully I will not experience the transom issues I do not even want to look ? All of these issues with this 2000, I have never seen these issues on any other boat I have owned. I don't get it everyone seems to know about these issues but I guess they don't care. Last week I was docking and leaned the boat on a piling to swing into a slip wouldn't you know it a found a stress crack when I got back to my dock. I cant imagine keeping this for long. The 26 center I have that this was to replace has 2 huge fish boxes 75 gallon on the deck sole this has none I really was surprised were do you guys put your catch? There is some kind of storage on the port side behind the helm but weirdly designed. Not loving it so far! I chose it for the cabin other than that I was think Regulator would be a better fit.

seasick

Reaction score
Being stored for 9 years covered and I assume outside can kill a boat especially if it was covered all year and the location experiences hot summers. It is like putting the boat in an oven
In addition, if systems were exercised for those years. I am surprised it runs 'great'.

Fishtales

Reaction score
It sounds like someone really didn't bed things correctly at all, neglected the boat and let it sit covered for years. All of these are on the owner or caretaker. I will give you the fishbox lid and hardtop edge issue. Personally I'm not a fan of the manufacturing process and think it trades off robustness and durability for smoothness and ease of manufacturing. If you don't keep the water out of the porous flat side (the only way is to cover or shrinkwrap) there is the opportunity for water to get into the edge of these items and during the freezing weather you will have chips on the edges. I'm guessing the covered for 9 years means probably 1-2 seasons properly and the balance of the time it really wasn't.
Not being a MMQB, but did you really think an 18 year old boat that basically has been neglected for 9 years wouldn't have its share of issues? For me the older the boat is, the more how it was treated over the years versus how it was built is more of a factor for long term performance.

hinmo

Reaction score
I bought a 99 last year, and repowered it this year. It is not a perfect boat, but having owned alot of boats, see it as a mid level production boat. My hardtop needs alittle chalking and a paint job, but nothing too serious. My fish box lid is chipped, I will replace with starboard next season. The sole (above the tanks) needed new backing, the original was wet and the floor flexed. I had it done prior to the season this year.

And, all the other things you have to deal with with a 20 yr old production boat.
Happy with it - yes.
Can't wait till next year.

hinmo

Reaction score
Best bang for your buck.....A 2000-2003 boat in good shape with original 2 stroke motors, old electronics.... and spend your money on brand new repower and updated electronics.

Hey Skunk - how do you like your V20? Talk about good old boats - had two of them, loved em.

Boxster964

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I did expect work and the reputation that Grady WHITE's were a quality boat .I purcashed the reputation of the manufacturer and a boat . This boat was not neglected it was owned and properly winterized by the extremly wealthy owner. He had I'm guessing multiple homes and this was the smallest of his fleet. But the boat was covered and vented. There is very little snow in florida and when covered when moved up to MD ice should not be an issue. If I did not read any reports of these issues I would have thought the same thing one off issue or neglected ownership. But check the internet and there are so many gel coat issues transom issues and hatches should not crumble. There is no wear on the floor anti skid so gel coat shows no wear why cant you make a hatch or Hard top last. Balsa core needs to be sealed there is another thread on here that shows a 5 year old Grady getting a hard top replaced for the exact same reason. If its nnormal to replace a hard top every 5 years please! I did rebuild the fuel pump replaced VST filters and replaced all fuel separators and had injectors cleaned it started and runs great. Im not a big fan of 2 strokes but I will run her to see if I like the boat and maybe repower. The boat is only rated for 500hp so I would prefer twin 300hp to get closer to the power to weight ratio I have now with twin 250 ox66. Like I said 1976 sea ray has better hatches but Vdrives are no good in shallow water I love the 12ft beam. The Grady rides nice, but really is a very high priced but at best a mid level quality boat. I dont think your getting what your paying for. Who puts a swim ladder on the opposite side of a boat and makes people walk accross the transom and engine control lines and hydralic steering hoses to get to the transom door? DA not a good idea besides it being a trip hazard it is dumb.Im trying to see what cost would be to move it. It was taken care of and winterized very well the fuel in one tank still good who would have thought. The othert tank was empty looked like new in the bildge and on top of the fuel tanks.I will post pictures

georgemjr

Reaction score
I think the ladder is to port so that the transom door can be used as a tuna door and you can slide a fish in without damaging it (the fish). If you dont intend on doing that then add an armstrong removable ladder on the starboard side.

Reactions: jiavarone

georgemjr

Reaction score
I have owned the 24 offshore, 28 sailfish, 33express,30 marlin and now the 33express again. Ihave found their customer service to be second to none. Better than sea ray when i owned one. I have had little issue with any of my boats that i wouldnt chalk up to age/wear and tear. I am not just a grady owner. Have had sea ray, fomula, boston whaler, and regulator. Grady is as good or better than any of those in build. If your boat was properly stored, you wouldnt of had those issues. I havent (including my 2000 marlin).

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sounds like you should clean her up and sell it.

teaklejr

Reaction score
I don’t expect a boat that is close to 20 years old to perfect and the one 2000 we looked at was very nice and could tell the owner took good care of her. The other 2 just looked like the owners did not really care to maintain them properly. No boat is going to be perfect, our 1997 Tigercat has a few chips on edges on hatches, aft section of hardtop is getting soft(previous owner apparently did not seal outriggers properly) but for a 23 year old boat she still looks very nice and still love her. Our boat has been in Maryland most of its life but has been cared for, shrinkwrapped every year, washed and waxed regularly and all other maintenance taken care of and you can tell as soon as you look at her. Just going to take our time to find the boat that is right for us and that I feel will hopefully last us a long time.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Get it surveyed. I had to pay for a failed survey on a 2000 hull with 2014 F-250 Yamaha’s. Thought it was the perfect boat for the perfect price. What I learned, and what the surveyor already knew, is wide beam Grady’s up to about 2005 have hull side delamination problems due to excess moisture in the balsa core. I finally found a 2003 Marlin 30 with a “dry” hull, but it had 2003 Yamahas with the F-225 Four strokes. What i learned is Yamaha 6 cylinder 4-strokes up until 2006 had a design flaw called Dry Exhust Corrosion. Yamaha has a repair kit but it’s expensive to buy and expensive to install. So make sure the repair kits were installed or plan on having it done. Also look at the headlines net to make sure it’s in good shape. All that said we are happy with our Marlin and I don’t have any of the other issues listed in this thread. The Marlin 30 is the most popular boat own d by the members of our local GW Club

Last edited:

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Brand new to the forum, Parker CC owner, looking to upgrade to 282 Sailfish or 300 Marlin also. Good info on what to look for and consider now.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Brand new to the forum, Parker CC owner, looking to upgrade to 282 Sailfish or 300 Marlin also. Good info on what to look for and consider now.

If you can swing it, go to the 300.