Looking To Move To Cape Cod

NiceBass 272

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Update to Cape Cod search after 3 rd visit. Today we are making an offer on a 2 bedroom located in West Yarmouth at Lewis Bay, a few streets up from Edgewood Beach. Any issues about the ramp there? We looked hard in the upper Cape, Falmouth, Pocasett, & Cataumet, but very little to choose from, some good, some too $$$ , work etc etc. As this is an offer and still needs home inspection, I would really appreciate pros and cons of this location. We will be there full time in summer for next 3 or 4 years, so most of our activity will not be on weekends to avoid crowds and traffic. Further from Martha's Vineyard than I prefer, but still doable from Lewis Bay in an Adventure 208? Is it impractical to do fairly often? Follow the coast and a straight shot out from Falmouth? Do any of you fish Lewis Bay or close by and or suggest other ramps? Going to put my name on the list for a mooring of course, for my great grandchildren. Any and all input on this particular location appreciated.
congrats on the new place but cant provide any info i rarely venture beyond the Mashpee rotary

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I live in Sandwich (north side). My boat is at Crosby's in Osterville (south side). The Bay will be a bit flatter more often than the south side due to winds out of the south. From Yarmouth you can easily trailer to either side. On a good day yes the Vinyard is duable. You can hug the coast till you get to Mashpee/Falmouth area and then buzz over if you need to. Good luck with the sale welcome to the Cape!

Reactions: langski93

Daybreak

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I think Falmouth, Mashpee and Cotuit are nice on the south west side. Not a big fan of the mid cape but anything on the 6A side is nice and less summer hustle and bustle. If you are going further Chatham, Brewster and Harwich Port. One issue is the seals and sharks. If you really want quiet, access to the national seashore and a feel of old cape cod Eastham is nice.

There are some down sides on the cape. It empties out after labor day and can be too quiet for some. There is drug problem on the cape, worse in some spots better in others, but it does exist. Traffic during peak times is brutal on the bridges and RTs 6 and 28. Lots of people, traffic and general activity in peak summer months. Rentals are usually Sat to Sat, so that day can be a tough travel day.

Agree with Fishtales. Might look at S Plymouth or Sagamoe Beach ( mainland ) side. Sandwich marina launch for Bay side or Taylor Point marina for south side launch. Plymouth Marina 20 minutes north as well

Fishtales

Reaction score
Agree with Fishtales. Might look at S Plymouth or Sagamoe Beach ( mainland ) side. Sandwich marina launch for Bay side or Taylor Point marina for south side launch. Plymouth Marina 20 minutes north as well

He just bought a place mid Cape. He'll be all set!

battles2a5

Reaction score
Martha's Vineyard is a snap from Lewis Bay, your boat will do fine. Add all the caveats about checking weather, knowing the charts, etc. etc. etc. There are a good amount of rocks in Lewis Bay and the seas can really stand up on the windward side with our prevailing SW. But you have great access to Nantucket and the Vineyard. Steer clear of Bishop and Clerks en route to ACK and horseshoe shoal during low tide on the way to the vineyard. Just around the bend from Bass River, lots of good spots to tie up on the shore and a few restaurants with dockage. I'm two towns over in Harwich Port and couldn't ask for a better spot. Going in that direction you will have access to Pleasant Bay and the tuna grounds through Fool's Cut in Monomoy. Saves a lot of time and keeps you in protected waters for much longer.

langski93

Reaction score
Hello All,
Our offer for West Yarmouth was accepted today, so Englewood boat ramp will be home base unless something goes sideways on the home inspection. We are tentatively scheduled for end of Feb. closing. Thank you again for all the input from all you Captains on this “Great Grady” website.

Reactions: igblack87

Fishtales

Reaction score
Good luck on the cape. Post if you have questions or seek input once you arrive. Lots of folks avail in the area to assist.

SCW

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
Hello All,
Our offer for West Yarmouth was accepted today, so Englewood boat ramp will be home base unless something goes sideways on the home inspection. We are tentatively scheduled for end of Feb. closing. Thank you again for all the input from all you Captains on this “Great Grady” website.
Outstanding! perhaps see you out there this summer! good luck!