Looking to purchase a '96 Marlin

jerseytiger10

Reaction score
Website
www.townmotors.com
Model
Express 360
with '02 225 yamaha 4-strokes. What issues did these boats have and what things should I be looking for when I go to check her out. This is not my first Grady by the way. Thanks in advance.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
You must be looking at the one out at POE. I keep my boat there ( for a long time) and have seen that boat around. POE is top notch and take great care of customer boats. It is a 96 so I would do a survey and have the tanks and transom checked. I'm sure the boat is fine as the owners are POE regulars and the boat has always looked to be in good shape. Motors have hours on them so I would have them checked over. The hull is a good hull and you should be fine. Price is right for that much boat. I loved my Marlin ( 2000 with Ox 250's). The four strokes should be even better. Good luck!

festae

Reaction score
Hi Jerseytiger,
I looked at this boat as well at POE six weeks ago. They dropped the price $2000.00 I see. As Fishermanbb said, you should have a surveyor look it over. Have those engines scoped. Some of these engines from 2002-2005 had corrosion issues. Great boat. I did pass on this one. I managed to find a 1998 marlin in South Jersey 2 weeks ago.

jerseytiger10

Reaction score
Website
www.townmotors.com
Model
Express 360
I love the internet. That is the exact boat that I am looking at. I am hammering out the details on this boat currently. I am calling tomorrow to set up a survey. Looking to be in this boat by the end of May early June. Looking forward to being back in a Grady. I appreciate the posts fellas. I am new to fishing in this area as I grew up fishing Massachusetts. Any advice on some spots would be much appreciated.

festae

Reaction score
I found a better deal on the one in South Jersey. I literally stole it. Deals are out there if you really look. $36,000.00 I paid. The ox66s had 680 hours on them, and ran beautiful. A very good pair of engines. The boat its self did not need that much work.The fact that this boat also came with a 2012 trailer, I could not pass up the deal. I think the owner paid over $9,000.00 for it last year. If I was to sell the trailer for say $7,500.00, that means I paid $28,500 for the boat. Its sitting in my driveway, ready to go to the marina within the week. A beautiful 96 Marlin, I saw sell for $26,000.00 a few months back. The boat at POE will be all set for you to go. Im sure they will take$4- $5,000.00 less. Do a search on the 225 corrosion issues. Lots of info out there.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
While you are there you ought to look at the 98 they have as well. It has 2005 engines and only 219 hours. If you can swing the difference that is a no brainier for a 2 year newer hull and three year newer engines with low hours. Just sayin'