Looking to purchase a Grady

jigstrike

Reaction score
I am looking to move up to a 30' Grady Marlin. I have looked at a few which all seem in good shape. Aside from the exhaust corrosion issues on the 225's, is there anything I need to be looking for as far as problems?
Also about how many hours can I expect out of the 4 stroke 225's or 250's?
Thanks

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Jig: first, welcome to the forum. Others will chime in who know the Marlin well. Regarding engine hours, I had 1,300 flawless hours on my F250 when I traded it in. A guy I get live bait from swapped his out after 3,000 hours.

Good luck in your search.

Rob

wjs3

Reaction score
Hi--I'm a current Marlin owner and PM'd you. Let me know how I can help.

I do think you want the boat to have 250s. Mine has 250s and it is reasonably powered...I feel like if I had 225s the fuel efficiency, speed, etc. would not make me as happy as I am with the 250s.

Those Yamahas just RUN...they are great. I wouldn't sweat a lot about them.

Best of luck.

WJS3

jigstrike

Reaction score
I have it narrowed to a couple of Marlins. One is a 98 with 2012 Yamaha 250's. I cant seem to find much in the way of guys having problems with these. Does anyone have any input on these engines? Also what can I expect for fuel burn?
Thanks

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2007 Marlin with F250s. Engines have 1124 hours on them and run perfectly, however I do all the recommended maintenance on them myself except that I had a Yamaha tech replace the timing belts and tensioners at 1000 hours. I get exactly what Grady White predicted I would get at best long range cruise: which is 4100 RPM, 25knots/29 mph, burning 20.7 gal per hour, (boat loaded, full of fuel, fishing gear loaded, iced and live well full of bait). I have owned 4 boats, two other Grady's, a Seafarer, and a Sailfish. The Marlin is by far my absolute favorite, and the best boat I have ever owned. It is a great fishing machine, and comfortable when the "CINC" wants to spend the night or weekend on the boat.

Daman858

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
To dispel any fear, I have traveled all over Central America. There are many F250s on fishing boats down there. Some look like they did two tours in Afghanistan. These boats go out everyday, taking tourists fishing or diving or whatever. Maintenance seems little or non existent. They just keep running and running.

fischer

Reaction score
The term most commonly used to describe the Yamaha F250 is "bullet proof". Mine (2005) has around 900 trouble free hours and I expect it will go many times that. Recently returned from a 900+ mile trip in my Marlin and averaged 1.22 mpg in all kinds of conditions, from very placid to very snotty. The Marlin handles anything you throw at it.

jigstrike

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I am told the boat I am interested needs a macerator. I can ask that it be repaired before I buy it, or the guy will lower the price. My question is are these expensive, and/or difficult to fix? I am pretty mechanically inclined, but I have not owned a boat with a head on it before.
Thanks

Bonnie Blue

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
Hello jig strike- I can't speak for the Marlins but I just replaced the macerator pump and sending unit on my 265 express. I got a lot of good feedback on the site when I asked for recommendations, including a good picture and description of an outside the tank pump setup that one guy did on his. I wound up going back with the factory Groco pump and sender. The pump was $470 from Defender. 2 hoses, 2 wires and 12 bolts and it was done. The worst part was standing on my head, sort of, to do the job. I just don't bend like I used to. The sender was $190 and it was easy, except for the reach to do it. Good luck.

jigstrike

Reaction score
I looked at a1998 Marlin with 2013 Yamahas with the extended warrantee. Boat is in fair shape, engines run great. Question is that there is some water in the compartment under the mid berth. There is a drain hole there, but its not draining. My thought is a plugged drain pipe. Could it be something else??
Thanks

jigstrike

Reaction score
Im a Grady owner
30' marlin cant wait to fish it!!