Looks Like I'm the Newest Member to the Club-Transom Restoration Begins

SeaVee

Reaction score
OP- off topic but how do you like those new Merc’s? I hear great things about them ( other than the 53 week lead time currently). Would be a perfect match for my 265 Express.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
Boat is rated for 500hp, at least the 1998 is. Mine with heavy old 2005 F225s has all the power it would ever need.

I was wondering if any of the "pourable" products would make an appearance. Those seem really appealing. (I too will probably be doing this job in the next year or two...)

Yes, these are great materials if they are done correctly. They will actually fill better on many applications, but I have seen some bad chain saw artists--lol. Hollowing out between 2 skins is for boat flippers. Building a skin from the inside or outside with the appropriate dam will have better contact on transoms that aren't true or have a convex/concave curve. Check out Classicmako--they have had a few good projects using pourables.

Paul_A

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
Yes, these are great materials if they are done correctly. They will actually fill better on many applications, but I have seen some bad chain saw artists--lol. Hollowing out between 2 skins is for boat flippers. Building a skin from the inside or outside with the appropriate dam will have better contact on transoms that aren't true or have a convex/concave curve. Check out Classicmako--they have had a few good projects using pourables.

Are you saying that to get a good result from a pourable you have to remove one of the skins to clean out the old wood and then build a new skin, and then pour?

Wouldn't that negate any advantage of using a pourable?

I mean, if I'm going through the trouble to remove part of the cap and motor well or the outer skin if I attack it from the outside I'm using epoxy and coosa.

I ask because I thought on a cut transom boat like my 208 the chainsaw prybar dig it out from the top technique was acceptable.

blindmullet

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I ask because I thought on a cut transom boat like my 208 the chainsaw prybar dig it out from the top technique was acceptable.

The boat flippers run a chain saw between two skins and hope for the best. Is it acceptable? Not in my book but in Craiglist boat flippers it's spot on--lol.

With some transoms it turns into a jig saw puzzle or like I mentioned before some of the curved transoms. Cleaning the surface and rebuilding a skin will produce a better trransom in the long run. Those pourables shouldn't be thought of as an "easy" fix unless you want to flip a boat on Craigslist-- Lol I'm sure some of those boat flips never had a problem--but I'll pass.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Originals were 200 hp. Added roughly 250 lbs to transom. Transom is about 2" thick.

BTW...I installed the only engine Grady said would work on my boat.
1994 Sailfish was rated for a max of 450 HP. Not sure what year they went up to 500.

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.littleriversportfishing.com
Model
Sailfish
OP- off topic but how do you like those new Merc’s? I hear great things about them ( other than the 53 week lead time currently). Would be a perfect match for my 265 Express.
I think they are a perfect fit for the older Grady's that were not designed for todays heavy fourstrokes. The perform great on the boat and I went from 1.0 mpg with the old 2strokes to 1.5-1.7 mpg with the new Mercs.

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
Model
Sailfish
Latest pics. 99% bad wood has been removed. Should finish up first of next week and then start laying in the Coosa board. Only one stringer needs to be replaced (center) and that will be all coosa board. Remaining stringers although are still plywood, the are strong and still incapsulated in glass. They will however be sistered with coosa board on both sides and all encapsulated with resin and cloth. Also adding half inch additional thickness to transom. Original was 2" and going to 2 1/2" thick. One last thought...also going to replace all thruhulls that I can get to while the back end is cut open.

Attachments

• 20210903_145914.jpg
    20210903_145914.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 72

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
From a quality control aspect have the Scientist in the transom design and fabrication department done anything different to remedy this problem other than installing a plastic bang plate on new builds vs the aluminum one ?? What year are we in now ? ( sarcasm ) sorry I couldn’t help myself.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I don't mind telling. Estimate is $5K plus about 1500.00 for engine removal and replace. Going back in with coosa board instead of wood.
sounds fair. I paid 2X that in MA and felt I got screwed.

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
Model
Sailfish
Transom has been repaired and looks pretty good. Hopefully engines will be installed this week. While I was at it, I decided to change out all of the thru hulls around the stern. Changed out the deck drains as well. Also, had the old oil fill caps removed and covered. Sprayed the complete inside of the transom with gelcoat. Final tally 7.5k.

Edit: Shop owner was good enough to walk me through rebuilding my deck hatch as well.

Attachments

• 20211018_143525.jpg
    20211018_143525.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 52
  • 20211018_143539.jpg
    20211018_143539.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20211018_151014.jpg
    20211018_151014.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20211018_151533.jpg
    20211018_151533.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • 20210915_155108.jpg
    20210915_155108.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:

jmain

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Transom has been repaired and looks pretty good. Hopefully engines will be installed this week. While I was at it, I decided to change out all of the thru hulls around the stern. Changed out the deck drains as well. Also, had the old oil fill caps removed and covered. Sprayed the complete inside of the transom with gelcoat. Final tally 7.5k.

Edit: Shop owner was good enough to walk me through rebuilding my deck hatch as well.
Wow! That all looks great! Maybe I should have mine hauled up to SC. It would probably still be cheaper than having it done down here in SWFL. I am going to seriously consider that, when I have time to get back to this project.

Reactions: Late Again Grady

Late Again Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
Model
Sailfish
Wow! That all looks great! Maybe I should have mine hauled up to SC. It would probably still be cheaper than having it done down here in SWFL. I am going to seriously consider that, when I have time to get back to this project.
This guy does really good work. He has the best reputation in our part of the world. And as I said, he let me work through all of my thru hulls and deck drains while the boat was opened up saving me a lot of undo contortions on the body.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sorry to see the pain. But looks as though you're on your way towards getting through it. I'm another one who is wondering just how mine looks inside. I'm going to look for those rust stains coming off the bolts this weekend.

Reactions: Late Again Grady