Loosing motivation

Weso

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I acquired my 1990 22 Seafarer knowing it needs some tlc work. As I'm digging into it I'm finding more and more It needs. Has a 1990 two stroke yamaha trim ram leaking. Hydraulic steering leaking under the wheel original lines. I'm pretty sure I should replace gas tanks or at least main. I'm looking at these 225 fourstrokes and blown away on price. What's guys thoughts

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You can handle it! Once you knock off each of those issues you will feel great about it!
You don’t have to do it all at once, just make some consistent progress and do your research so you fix em right the first time

Reactions: MLangley

Fishtales

Reaction score
What about a Suzuki and poly tanks? Parts are expensive for boats even if you are doing the work yourself. I'd step back review what you need to do and do a solid bottoms up analysis for cost and your time. If it comes out that you shouldn't do it, I'd either sell or part it out and try to recoup as much as you can.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

seasick

Reaction score
If the trim ram is leaking, that is easier to reseal than the tilt piston. Seals are not too expensive but a good quality tool to unscrew the cap will cost a few bucks. If on the other hand the unit itself is shot or the rams are corroded, repairs can be costly assuming you can find a tilt mechanism, either new or in good shape.
The helm leak may be a simple as a shaft seal. Again an inexpensive part. Getting the wheel off may require a puller.
At that age, the helm pump may be shot can say for sure. You need to see exactly what is leaking.
The bottom line is that if the motor runs well even with some leaks, don't spend big bucks on a new motor. You probably will find more things that need attention on the hull.
If you don't see gas leaks or smell gas in the tank locker, don't pull the tank . Get her running, not leaking and then see if you like her. If so, pamper the girl.

Norcoastal

Reaction score
Hang in there. I’m also restoring a Seafarer (1988) and TRUST ME, I feel your pain.

I started with electrical. I removed all old wiring and kept the original GW harness. Replaced the switch panel with a new custom one from New Wire Marine, relplaced the steering helm and lines, removed the rotted bulkheads and now I’m completing the new dash.

I’m working on small projects at a time. When all electrical is completed and tested, I’ll make new bulkhead panels.

I agree that it’s a bit overwhelming; set realistic expectactions of what you can do over a period of time. Finishing even small tasks I always take as a win.

I thought I’d be in the water this year, but it appears that it will most likely be next spring.

Be patient, tackle small tasks at a time, create a “to do” list to keep you on task and drink a lot.

Here are some before and “progress” pictures to motivate you.

Attachments

• E5EA0593-F983-4C24-AAA6-C7684C1AEAB7.jpeg
    E5EA0593-F983-4C24-AAA6-C7684C1AEAB7.jpeg
    988.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 77B2BA5A-8C56-4721-8421-D8FF2C4FF01F.jpeg
    77B2BA5A-8C56-4721-8421-D8FF2C4FF01F.jpeg
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: PointedRose

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
When I bought my '82 Offshore it had been so neglected the cabin had dirt and leaves packed in it....the outboard had not been serviced in so long that the levers to take the cover off were seized up.....electronics were ancient....no trim tabs.....seat pedestals were all messed up.....aux fuel tank out of service....it was overwhelming.
Each season I made a list prioritizing what I wanted to do....time and money prevented a total overhaul. Into my 3rd full season with the boat and I get a great sense of fulfillment when I trim the boat with the trim tabs I installed....or navigate to the Mudhole using the chartplotter I installed....or fuel up with 150 gallons because both tanks are now operative....or my wife and I are both comfortable in the new seating I installed....or my friends recline and have a beer on the swingback cooler seat I installed. The water pump is new....the thermostats have been changed......the spark plugs and wires are new....it feels good.
In the summer when I was not in the boat I refurbished the trailer.
It took a while but I pretty much have her fitted out the way I wanted......don't give up.....the rewards are well worth it.

Kizuna

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
There should be a "Fixer Upper" or "Holmes on Homes" type of show for restoring boats. I know I'd watch it. Heck, there's a ton of car restoration shows as well.

It's a labor of love just to maintain them. Keep it going, build it the way you want it, and love it.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
There should be a "Fixer Upper" or "Holmes on Homes" type of show for restoring boats. I know I'd watch it. Heck, there's a ton of car restoration shows as well.

It's a labor of love just to maintain them. Keep it going, build it the way you want it, and love it.
There is a YouTube channel for ‘Making it Metan’ and I think it’s getting a tv pilot. They refurb whalers in MA - some pretty interesting content. Did a full overhaul of a ‘79 formula recently https://youtube.com/user/metanmarine

UCPA111

Reaction score
Reactions: Kizuna

Weso

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hang in there. I’m also restoring a Seafarer (1988) and TRUST ME, I feel your pain.

I started with electrical. I removed all old wiring and kept the original GW harness. Replaced the switch panel with a new custom one from New Wire Marine, relplaced the steering helm and lines, removed the rotted bulkheads and now I’m completing the new dash.

I’m working on small projects at a time. When all electrical is completed and tested, I’ll make new bulkhead panels.

I agree that it’s a bit overwhelming; set realistic expectactions of what you can do over a period of time. Finishing even small tasks I always take as a win.

I thought I’d be in the water this year, but it appears that it will most likely be next spring.

Be patient, tackle small tasks at a time, create a “to do” list to keep you on task and drink a lot.

Here are some before and “progress” pictures to motivate you.
What steering helm did you buy? Mine is leaking like crazy I'm thinking of running all new. Is your top mount shifter the stock one? What that new switch board run you. Thanks for the reply

seasick

Reaction score
In case you're bored...I'm not a professional videographer but hopefully the content is meaningful.
There is something like that. Check out the Youtube channel for Born Again Boating. They do a lot of 'restorations', not total do overs, mostly just the things that are needed to make an older boat dependable and usable. That includes simple fixes all the way to transom replacements. That site has a lot of technical videos also on repair and general boating info.

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I acquired my 1990 22 Seafarer knowing it needs some tlc work. As I'm digging into it I'm finding more and more It needs. Has a 1990 two stroke yamaha trim ram leaking. Hydraulic steering leaking under the wheel original lines. I'm pretty sure I should replace gas tanks or at least main. I'm looking at these 225 fourstrokes and blown away on price. What's guys thoughts

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Take your time check out books , you tube get as much info & research you can Take { 1 } step at at time don’t get overwhelmed you will feel good Good Luck Brother

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If you work on it constantly without a break,,,yep, it would get old. Sometimes best to walk away for awhile and recharge. Do a little at a time and keep moving forward. Once it's completed and you're out cruising/fishing, it'll all have been worth it.

Reactions: JJMag

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore

If you work on it constantly without a break,,,yep, it would get old. Sometimes best to walk away for awhile and recharge. Do a little at a time and keep moving forward. Once it's completed and you're out cruising/fishing, it'll all have been worth it.

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
How are you making out with it give us up dates , Pics

Crazyfish1

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You can do it NEVER say I can’t OR I quite !!!