Loss of steering control...need guidance.

StoryTime

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2001 Seafarer with Sea Star system and while backing out of slip yesterday for the first time this season I had no response to the steering wheel turning. Engine turned to one side while backing out and then wouldn't respond when turning other direction. Fortunately this happened in the marina. I'm now on a trouble shooting mission.

I'm certain there has been no steering fluid added in a handful of years. Reading the forum it looks like I should start with bleeding the steering fluid and refill? Looks like a 2 person job getting fluid into helm and draining out the back but is there anything else I should be thinking about while doing this? Hopefully it's an inexpensive fix.

Wheel turns freely-or it did yesterday. Could this be a bigger issue than I'm thinking?

Thanks in advance for any pointers/guidance for a completely incompetent boat guy:). Learning lots as I get through each season!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I would start by just adding hydraulic fluid to the system. Not sure of the particulars of your system but if fluid is added and the wheel controls the engine, some systems self bleed by turning all the way to the right and then the left. Once you have the system corrected I would do a thorough check to inspect for any signs of leaking fluid. Good Luck

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
It could be as simple as fluid but if it doesn't move at all in one direction it is probably more.
There is info on the SeaStarSolutions site.

First, make sure there isn't a leak somewhere.
Check fluid and top off.

Try disconnecting the Seastar linkage from the motor so that you can see if it works without the resistance of the motor.

While disconnected from the SeaStar, see if you can move the motor left/right by hand easily

You have an old motor and even if you grease it each season, over time the grease inside at the bushing dries out and it becomes very difficult to turn.
Hopefully, this is not part of your problem because it can be a bear to fix.

StoryTime

Reaction score
Good stuff and thanks for the input. I'm heading back over there tomorrow to investigate further. Fingers crossed....I'll post the outcome.

Thanks!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Fluid check as stated. Look for evidence of leaks. Do you have a power assist unit - they can go. May just need a bleeding to get air bubbles out - usually a leak but not always.
Finally the hydraulic cylinder on the motor...

StoryTime

Reaction score
Hey guys....thanks for the help here. Fortunately, I added steering fluid and miraculously my steering came back to life! :) Evidently fluid is needed for turning! Ha! Thanks all. Can't wait for it to warm up so I can take it out.....

seasick

Reaction score
StoryTime said:
Hey guys....thanks for the help here. Fortunately, I added steering fluid and miraculously my steering came back to life! :) Evidently fluid is needed for turning! Ha! Thanks all. Can't wait for it to warm up so I can take it out.....
That's great but you still should go through the bleeding process. You can find the steps online as text or a you tube. And yes, you need two sets of hands to do it properly.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Same thing happened to me once and now I check the fluid regularly to make sure it is full. I always carry a tube of fluid just in case. It's not fun losing steering. I would double check for a leaks bc the fluid must be going somewhere, it does not just evaporate . Mine ultimately had a leak at the steering cylinder by the engines.

Oceanbean

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If no signs of leaks and fluid is full and you still have no steering, or it takes many turns, the check valves in the helm are shot.

One sign they are going is, when motor is tilted up and you leave it centered. You come back the next day and it has turned to one side.

this happened to me. Replaced the helm in the fall.

Yes - always carry a qt of seastar fluid, the filler tube and seal wrench. I have also had a seal go 25 miles offshore.

Oceanbean
2004 GW 282 F225

L.R.

Reaction score
If it's the original steering,I'd bite the Bullet and replace it..Helm and Cylinder.. I have a 2005...Rebuilt the Helm,then the Cylinder went..Had a small spot in the cylinder that would bypass fluid..Don't play around with the Steering,Bad things can happen if there is a malfunction at the Wrong time!

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
L.R. said:
If it's the original steering,I'd bite the Bullet and replace it..Helm and Cylinder.. I have a 2005...Rebuilt the Helm,then the Cylinder went..Had a small spot in the cylinder that would bypass fluid..Don't play around with the Steering,Bad things can happen if there is a malfunction at the Wrong time!

Think I'm going the replacement route myself. I've flushed and bled but still have slop that I can't get out. I'm sure mine is the original to the boat.

seasick

Reaction score
Ky Grady said:
L.R. said:

Think I'm going the replacement route myself. I've flushed and bled but still have slop that I can't get out. I'm sure mine is the original to the boat.

If you flushed and bled by yourself, you didn't bleed correctly. It take two people to do it right. The bleeding process can use more than one bottle of fluid even though the actual capacity of thee system is less. It is OK to catch the new fluid that bleeds out in a clean container and reuse the fluid. After you experienced the same issue, did you open the filler and look at the level of the fluid. It it went down, you either have a leak or there was still air in the system. If during the bleed process ( using the fill tube attachment is a must) the tube ran empty, you have to use more fluid and start all over.