Lost a trim tab on 330 need replacement

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Had the boat pulled from the water after the first week of ARS season - surprise, the port trim tab was missing.

My year they used a 12" x 20" Bennett tab. Bennett now only makes 18" & 24" tabs.

Talked to Grady & they gave me a phone number for Bennett which only gets you to voicemail system that doesn't allow leaving messages.

Called Taylor Marine, their suggestion was to use the 24" and have a machine shop cut it to 20". Went ahead and ordered a set of 24" standard (classic) hydraulic trim tabs.

My technician is skeptical about them working as he thinks the ss plate is a thinner gauge. Have any 330 (or +/- 3') owners changed out their tabs and what worked best for you?

seasick

Reaction score
Had the boat pulled from the water after the first week of ARS season - surprise, the port trim tab was missing.

My year they used a 12" x 20" Bennett tab. Bennett now only makes 18" & 24" tabs.

Talked to Grady & they gave me a phone number for Bennett which only gets you to voicemail system that doesn't allow leaving messages.

Called Taylor Marine, their suggestion was to use the 24" and have a machine shop cut it to 20". Went ahead and ordered a set of 24" standard (classic) hydraulic trim tabs.

My technician is skeptical about them working as he thinks the ss plate is a thinner gauge. Have any 330 (or +/- 3') owners changed out their tabs and what worked best for you?

The Bennett web site under the sections 'parts'. 'trim plane assemblies' . 'TPA 2412' lists the availability of the 12 x 20 replacement tab.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The Bennett web site under the sections 'parts'. 'trim plane assemblies' . 'TPA 2412' lists the availability of the 12 x 20 replacement tab.

Thanks seasick - I found the 20" plane under the parts section which I hadn't seen when I was on the site before.

Unfortunately, I need the entire trim tab system and it doesn't appear to be offered in 20" size. Plus Overton's offered a 30% discount which brought the delivered price close to $400 - plus the cost of a machine shop cutting the 24" down to 20"

It is good to know that Bennett does sell all the components individually

Steiss

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 326
I also lost a trim tab on my 2005 Express 330! Luckily the bilge pump kept up with the leak until we could get it in the lift 24 hours later…
Does anyone know where to find a replacement tab? I searched Bennett 2412 but couldn’t find it.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also lost a trim tab on my 2005 Express 330! Luckily the bilge pump kept up with the leak until we could get it in the lift 24 hours later…
Does anyone know where to find a replacement tab? I searched Bennett 2412 but couldn’t find it.

Curious -- did it just fall off? Were you backing down hard or something? How did you know it was missing?

Steiss

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 326
Curious -- did it just fall off? Were you backing down hard or something? How did you know it was missing?
I honestly have no idea how/when it came off. My guess, after looking at the other side, is the screws came lose/rusted out, and the bracket just ripped off.
Good news is that Bennett emailed me the part # and said they are available!

Attachments

• 575F02FE-A13C-48C9-B8D6-E8CA7F7247E2.jpeg
    575F02FE-A13C-48C9-B8D6-E8CA7F7247E2.jpeg
    843.1 KB · Views: 32
Reactions: Mustang65fbk

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I honestly have no idea how/when it came off. My guess, after looking at the other side, is the screws came lose/rusted out, and the bracket just ripped off.
Am I reading their correspondence correctly - 90 day availability?

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Am I reading their correspondence correctly - 90 day availability?
Probably so. I have some pieces of SeaDek on order and have been given a 5 month window. That's the way of the world nowadays it seems.

Take Yamaha for my repower, going on 17-18 months and no idea when I'll see one.

So 90 days is quick comparatively speaking.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I replaced mine on a 2003 330 Express a couple of years ago - hinges started to go bad. The part numbers being referenced here are correct. I'm glad to hear that Bennett is still providing them. Also, make sure to drill a hole and install a button zinc to abate electrolysis. Also, wise to exercise them if the boat has been sitting idle in the dock for a while.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd be cancelling that order bright and early tomorrow morning and buy it from these guys instead as they show that they have one left in stock. On top of that, it's almost $20 cheaper through them and it comes with free shipping. If for some reason they sell out between now and then, here's another link to a company on eBay that says they have two in stock for $1 less than what Autoplicity has it for, free shipping as well.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Nice of you to search Mustang, but Autoplicity is notorious for claiming something is in stock, when in fact it isn't. Been there, done that. I even called directly to verify and they claimed it was available. Once the order was placed, the real story was revealed.
FWIW, companies like Autoplicity don't stock squat. They are a shell company that pulls inventory from a plethora of warehouses at wholesale prices and direct ship. Unfortunately many of the "no name" discount vendors follow this business model. Buyer beware.

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No worries, haha I take “90 days out” as a challenge to find something somewhere else where the item is actually in stock. I ordered a couple of Scotty downriggers from Autoplicity a couple months back and had completely the opposite experience. I ordered them on a Saturday or Sunday and it said I’d get them by the next Friday. They showed up on Tuesday, 3 days ahead of time. That might not be typical of them but I didn’t have any issues. Also, there’s a second link to Boat ID on eBay that claims they have two if someone is hesitant about using Autoplicity. Just throwing it out there and giving some options to those who don’t want to wait 3 months and then maybe have to wait longer when that time comes.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Pretty sure Boat ID is Autoplicity.
Glad your order worked out. I'm 1 for 3 with Autoplicity. I will say that unlike some of the other lesser known vendors, they do at least pay to have people answer the phone. I wouldn't hesitate to order common high volume auto parts from them, but the low volume items haven't worked out - for me at least.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Well... it looks like someone ordered the two on eBay as they're no longer in stock and are sold out. I'm honestly not exactly sure what companies are intermixed together but I suppose it's worth a shot to order it from Autoplicity as I don't see how it could be worse than waiting the 3 months to get the one from the manufacturer. While I was looking at the Autoplicity website a chat box popped up and someone asked if I needed any help and I asked them if the part number was in stock, of which they did confirm that their warehouse does have one left in stock. And I mean the worst thing it sounds like they could do is that they call him up a couple of days after he places the order and tell him that they're out of stock. Which again, you're still 90 days out from getting the part from the manufacturer, although I would definitely wait to cancel the order with Bennett until you actually get your parts in person if you're that worried about it...

Last edited:
Reactions: family affair

Steiss

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 326
Well... it looks like someone ordered the two on eBay as they're no longer in stock and are sold out. I'm honestly not exactly sure what companies are intermixed together but I suppose it's worth a shot to order it from Autoplicity as I don't see how it could be worse than waiting the 3 months to get the one from the manufacturer. While I was looking at the Autoplicity website a chat box popped up and someone asked if I needed any help and I asked them if the part number was in stock, of which they did confirm that their warehouse does have one left in stock. And I mean the worst thing it sounds like they could do is that they call him up a couple of days after he places the order and tell him that they're out of stock. Which again, you're still 90 days out from getting the part from the manufacturer, although I would definitely wait to cancel the order with Bennett until you actually get your parts in person if you're that worried about it...
Very interesting. I actually bought 2 available on BoatID.com and they were delivered today! I wonder how much cross marketing happens on these parts. I’m thrilled to have found them, especially a pair! I’ll have one used one available (painted with antifoul) after my install.

Attachments

• F67445C8-D935-4356-9AAD-2B96A17B6E84.jpeg
    F67445C8-D935-4356-9AAD-2B96A17B6E84.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • B65CEF56-F57B-4342-AFE7-9EDD3C928201.jpeg
    B65CEF56-F57B-4342-AFE7-9EDD3C928201.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Very interesting. I actually bought 2 available on BoatID.com and they were delivered today! I wonder how much cross marketing happens on these parts. I’m thrilled to have found them, especially a pair! I’ll have one used one available (painted with antifoul) after my install.
Great to hear you got it all sorted out as waiting months on end for something that’s backordered isn’t ever fun.

Steiss

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 326
I have an old single trim tab available from my 2005 Express 330. I am in St Pete FL and do not want to ship it. Let me know if you need it.

Attachments

• 09165865-D186-439B-8228-7DCAD42AD09F.jpeg
    09165865-D186-439B-8228-7DCAD42AD09F.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 13
  • 2504576A-A909-4548-BF66-6B39FDD65EB8.jpeg
    2504576A-A909-4548-BF66-6B39FDD65EB8.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 13