lost reverse on '90 250 Yamaha

LI Grady

Reaction score
I'm going to be handing this problem over to my mechanic on Monday but figured I'd through this out to the group and see if anyone has any ideas. Curiosity and apprehension of the mechanics bill makes for a long weekend (at least the Jets have a bye this week so thats one less thing to aggravate me :roll: )

After a full day of fishing with the motors running great I got back to my slip and could not get my starbard motor to shift into reverse. Forward was perfect. After docking and cracking a cold one I popped the cover on the control binnicle and the motor.

Ultimately, I disconnected the cable at the motor and attempted to shift the motor manually. No go. With the motor running and off I was able to shift into forward but could not engage reverse.

I assume the problem is in the lower unit but thats about it for my troubleshooting...any ideas?

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
Sounds like a Yamaha problem with the shift rod. I had the same 'no reverse' stuck ness in mine last year. I used CRC to loosen things up and all was well. Took about 30miutes but it worked.

With a broken shift rod you wouldn't be able to go into forward either.

Try and work it loose with CRC or WD40.

seasick

Reaction score
If the shift level at the motor doesn't go as far as it should for reverse (check the working motor) then the shift rod may be bent,binding or out of adjustment. You need to check with the control cable both connected and then disconnected. If the shift level moves as far as it should but reverse is not engaged then the problem is more serious I suspect. Could be the clutch dog or the reverse gear. I hope it is just an adjustment or binding issue.

uncljohn

Reaction score
this happened to me a few years ago and it was the shift rod/shaft. Yamaha didn't make them out of stainless until early 90s, so my 87 had a non stainless rod that had corroded.

Considering the age of my engine and cost of the repair, I repowered. This was 2 years ago.

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Does reverse feel really spongie? Wants to go in but won't?This happened to me about a month ago but I lost it at the mooring on a nice windy day! The plastic housing that the shift cable fits into vibrated loose off the side of the block. Thankfully the bolt fell down into the cowling and I was able to retrieve it but they all needed to be tightened. PM if you have any questions.

LI Grady

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, opinions and info. Unfortunately with the site down for a few days I didn't get to check the thread.

The mechanic was afraid it was a broken shift rod but turns out its "just" the lower unit. I'm sure I'll screw up the description and I don't have the SELOC book in front of me so forgive me.....but I beleive its the dog clutch, etc. Bascially the reverse gear isn't sycronizing

I'm just going to replace the whole bottom unit ($$$$) but faster then having him rebuild it. On the plus side forward works and since its a twin engine set up I can use the other motor for docking and not lose any fishing time.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Are you going used or new/reman unit? I can't see dumping the money on a new unot on a 1990 motor. Plus the shift rod is probably steel not stainless and may not last much longer, definitely check it out.

LI Grady

Reaction score
Actually it now looks like we're just going to open her up and replace/rebuild whats needed.

I agree with your views regarding the motors. While they do check out fine (compression, etc) my thought process is to run them for a season and if I like the boat I'll repower (yes a lot of $$$ but a whole lot cheaper then a new boat). The boat itself is a tank, rides great so far but I still need to see how she does on the open ocean and I have to get used to close quarters handling. I'm used to inboards so I'm spolied when it comes to dockside manuvers.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
post pics of the clutch dog
if i is worn out it is due from
slow shiffting
not adjusted shift shaft

LI Grady

Reaction score
Will do once the mechanic gets it apart.

When you say "slow shifting" do you mean it wasn't properly adjusted as far as the gear engaging or are you referring to the actual speed that I shift the motor?

Dumb question but I just got this boat (only used it 3X so far) and have never had outboards before.

Thanks

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Baby'ing it into gear (foreward or reverse). When you ease it into gear, it grinds and does more damage then when you just put into gear.

As I said in an earlier post, be sure the shift rod is in good shape. Changing it will require removing the engine (a major PIA for older motors) and some bolts are bound to break off inside the block.

LI Grady

Reaction score
Gotcha. The shift rod was our first fear since as you said the powerhead has to be removed.

I'll work on being more deliberate with my shifting

Thanks

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
NIGHTIDES said:
Sounds like a Yamaha problem with the shift rod. I had the same 'no reverse' stuck ness in mine last year. I used CRC to loosen things up and all was well. Took about 30miutes but it worked.

With a broken shift rod you wouldn't be able to go into forward either.

Try and work it loose with CRC or WD40.

ill second that except in my case the shift rod was so waisted away it wouldnt shift into reverse.

LI Grady

Reaction score
Idiot Mechanic

I probably should start a new thread on the subject...but I lost patience with the original mechanic I was using and who diagnosied my problem/inability to shift into reverese.

Finally (after having 3 seperate mechanics pull "no-shows" on me) a new guy came down. Besides finding that the original guy never synched the carbs on one motor (which he fixed obviously) but he also fixed by shifting problem.

Seems the original mechanic never tightened the srews for the air filter...so wanna guess what migrated out and worked there way into the shift mechanism?

Worse yet the original mechanic came down and went over all of that before anouncing that I would need a lower unit (or dog clutch at the least)!!

It literally took the new guy 30 seconds to figure out what the problem was and fix it.

JUST-IN-TIME

Reaction score
it is hard to find a good tech these days
because the good ones are locked up somewhere good and will not leave!

i knew something had to be an easy fix!!

good job!

LI Grady

Reaction score
Thanks. I got so annoyed the other week I posted the boat for sale. I can't take credit for finding him either. My wife and fishing crew all went crazy trying to find someone good for me before I did something stupid like sell the boat.

And thanks again for all of your help and advice on this issue and the others that I have posted