Love my Marlin, so 'Sell' me on getting a 330!

Gary M

Reaction score
Getting to the age where I may want to make that last move up in size while I can and want to enjoy it.

We've enjoyed our 2001 Marlin for 11 summers now. Made about 16 trips to the northern Bahamas including two, 18 day sleep-aboard trips!

We'd like a bigger cabin and being about the last guy on Earth to still be buying Yamalube, a pair of 4-strokes would be nice!

The HEY MON! now has about 1,100 hours on her and the engines. A re-power of F-250s would run about $50,000 total. I realize that the slight increase in economy will never pay for the engines nor will we re-coup the costs at re-sale. The engines are still tight and well maintained.

We LOVE the Pursuit OS 345s but there are only a few of them around and prices used are still $200k and up. :bang

We are both luke-warm with the 330s. The tight helm area, the bow access, the Admiralette sitting lower and behind me (making her useless to help me keep an eye out the window while running) and no cabin side windows making it more 'cave like' down below.

But, we have a hard time thinking about re-powering a Marlin that is so old. With genset, A/C, etc there are many things that can (and already have!) break so moving up in years and size is attractive. We also have a hard time spending an extra $80k to get a newer model of what we already have....... and still end up with a 30 footer.

Would love to hear from any guys who have made the jump from a Marlin to a 330. Ride? Cabin? Comfort? Overnights? I'm not worried about economy as I'm still only getting about 1.1 mpg AND burning $18/gallon Yamalube!

Thanks in advance!

HMBJack

Reaction score
You seem to have analyzed your situation quite well. Congratulations...

I have a pal who loves his Marlin and no doubt, it is a very well laid out boat.
I have owned my 330 for over 6 years now and can say you raise good points on the few negatives of the 330.
As a non-walk around, the 330 of course, offers a bigger and more appointed cabin than the Marlin. And the center helm of the 330 is a personal preference for most - I happen to like it very much. One thing we do, is when cruising or even in the slip, I can remove my helm chair and stow it forward temporarily up on the dash area. I then mount a 24" X 18" Teak panel to the helm post (with a single SS bolt) and this teak panel serves as an excellent little table. This enables us to serve dinner or have cocktails in the helm area for 4-5 people in any weather condition. It makes my 33 footer seem like a 40+ footer. You can't do this on anything except a center helm boat. See the below photo taken during Christmas for an example of this.

Anyway, keep in mind, if you were to dish out another $80K to upgrade to a 330, there will be things on that boat that will need updates and replacement - just like on your Marlin.

Then, there is the transaction cost issue - such as sales tax, advertising and boat moving costs associated with changing from your Marlin to a 330 (or Pursuit, etc.). The sales tax alone will be steep.

So, perhaps your best option is to repower with a set of brand new Yamahas and update electronics, etc. as you wish. Moving from a Marlin to a 330 is a bit of a shade of gray and I'd kinda rather have a boat with brand new engines + other cool upgrades than to buy a used, bigger, boat with a list of things to work on and spend money on in the first year you own it. And if you decide to re-power - you will have money left over in your pocket by not buying a 330 (I'm a retired CPA so I look at the $ aspect in these sort of things...).

Good luck in your decision and I hope my inputs are of some help to you.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
New F250s are closer to 60K installed if you are going with electronic controls. There is a mechanical control option introduced in 2016 available for around 50K installed.

Good Luck with your choice

Gary M

Reaction score
HMBJack said:
Good luck in your decision and I hope my inputs are of some help to you.

Great photo and you have made myself and the Admiralette smile at the great idea about the helm seat!

On our long Bahamas trips there are many days where we don't take the boat out so in and out of the cabin a dozen times a day would be hassle with the seat in the way! Thanks!

Fishtales

Reaction score
It works to create the space that should be there by design...

seasick

Reaction score
You didn't mention what year 330 you were considering or your budget other than the sticker shock of $200k for a Pursuit.
I too did the whole eval of larger boats and I have to be honest that although I am a big Grady fan, I was not impressed with the space /layout on the Express 330. I like the center helm for vision and I like the retracting electronics box but the helm pass through is crowded and I didn't think the cabin was a spacious as a 33 could be.
Now when I looked at the Pursuit OS 325, I was really impressed with the cabin. I didn't like the colors of the helm but could live with it. I was also quite impressed with the newer model Whaler Conquests. My wife fell in-love with the 30-32 foot model. To be fair, I have no hands on experience driving any of these boats and that would be a big factor.
All this happened around the time of last year's NY boat show. I didn't really consider the larger Pursuits or BWs since they are too much boat for my style of boating. They are significantly heavier ( good for stability but not for economy). So a year later and still looking I made the big decision....... I bought a second summer home on the water with a dock. The bigger boat purchase is off the table until I win Lotto. I actually am looking for a second smaller runabout style for the new waters.
If you go bigger, the bow thruster is a handy tool especially if you dock in narrow or windy conditions. If you win Lotto go for the joystick option too:)
Good luck

Gary M

Reaction score
We'd probably be looking in the $125-$150k zone.

I'd lean toward a 330 because:

1) It would be my 4th Grady so it's familiar
2) Not a Merc fan so Whalers are out
3) The Pursuit 325 cabin is basically what we have now, with less access to the mid berth.

I prefer a side helm as I still like to lean out the window on occasion! (docking and for birds, etc)

I bent Grady President Chris Carroll's ear at the Lauderdale Boat Show a few years back about coming out with the 341 Swordfish! Same as the Marlin but bigger (34-11 LOA), wider, more fuel, side helm, bigger cabin, F-350s, etc. I reminded her that the Marlin was Grady's best seller ever and that the 341 would fall nicely in between the 330 and the 370...... but it fell on deaf ears. :bang

Reactions: Sticko

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Pick up pair of late model used 4 strokes, 25-30K. I recently saw a pair in Maine for 18K. Your pair of OX 66 is probably worth 7-9. Your marlin will have much better resale value with the 4S if you should change your mind down the road. It sound like you're pretty happy with the Marlin.

Gary M

Reaction score
Good point......

The engine 'options' are many........

The Marlin is based in the Keys, but we may be moving up to Stuart, Fla and that puts the northern Bahamas, Abacos back in play. We've done about 16 Bahamas trips with many stay-aboards and we'd like to get back to that again so the bigger cabin in the 330 appeals to us a lot............

liinw8

Reaction score
I used to fish on my friend's 330 and the helm area is definitely tight. It's just a matter of whether that bothers you or not and whether that's outweighed by the benefits. I find the cockpits and fishability are pretty similar. As far as the cabin and overnighting, I have a '99 Marlin and checked out the new 330 at the NY Boat show a few weeks ago because I've always assumed that maybe one day I'd move into a 330. I was surprised how cramped the cabin felt as I was expecting a much bigger difference compared to my Marlin. While it's probably due to industry trends generally, the more Grady squeezes extra stuff into the cabins (e.g., more built-ins, larger cabinets, larger countertops...etc), the more cramped they feel, even as compared to older versions of the same model. I haven't been on a new Marlin yet but I suspect it may be similar. I felt similar cramped when I went aboard a neighbor's 305 last year, and down below it felt a lot smaller than my Marlin even though the 305 was newer, is an express and is supposed to have a larger cabin (maybe in sq.ft. but not in open usable space). I like the more open feeling of my older Marlin cabin, which I'm in the process of modernizing, Even the steps down to the cabin of the new 330 seemed more cramped. I also like what seems to be more headroom in the main birth on my Marlin as compared to the main birth on the 330, although I was eyeballing things and didn't measure anything so maybe I misjudged the headroom. It just appeared to me the main birth on the 330 was more raised to accommodate the 1/2 mid-birth, and closer to the headliner. I don't mean to offend any 330 owners as they're fantastic boats all around and they may ride better than the 300 (not 100% sure). The main advantages I see for the 330 over the Marlin are larger/heavier for better ride, the mid-birth, more cabin amenities, center helm (if you prefer that, not everyone does), and the gutters for draining water coming over the bow before it gets back to the cockpit. The main advantages I see for the Marlin over the 330 are that it's more trailerable, better gas mileage, faster, recessed walkaround (an advantage overall, but doesn't drain water over the sides in big seas and instead funnels water back into the cockpit), bow seating, and more spartan and open, at least older year models. I'm sure most people would rather have the 330. If I could get a 330 for the same price I'd opt for the 330.

Comfortably Numb

Reaction score
Hi Gary. We haven't spoken in awhile since Politics on FS was shut down, but if I were still over there, I'd now be grady33wa. :wink: We made the jump from a 2001 Marlin to a 2017 330 Express in December. I loved the Marlin, but with 5 in our family, we outgrew it. The additional seating at the helm under the hardtop, the ability to sleep 5 in the cabin, and the safely-encased Fischer Panda diesel generator providing AC in the cabin and at the helm while underway, were the things that made us jump up to the 330. I love that I can access the generator and batteries easily now without cutting the deck sealant. The 330 uses 2 hinged access panels, one that is removable, and the other that is hinged, with a gutter that drains overboard.

The 5 of us have already done a 2 night overnight on the hook, and are planning a 4 night stay in the Keys in a few weeks.

The ride is far, far superior. Not that the Marlin was bad, but you had to adjust the Marlin's speed and trim tabs to match the conditions. The 330 weighs nearly 4000 lbs more, and it's in the rougher stuff where you feel it. It also rides more bow-high than the Marlin, providing a much drier ride. I've been out in 20 and 30 knot winds already, and the windshield barely got a drop unless I really pushed it hard.

I do miss the recessed walkaround of the marlin, where the kids could fish from the sides on calmer days. But getting to the bow on the 330 isn't as difficult as I expected, as the areas for walking are quite wide, with great handholds. I also preferred the recessed rear bench on the Marlin (which they got rid of 2002 or 2003 for some reason) and the transom livewell. On the Marlin, we could step up on the rear recessed bench to fight a fish around the motors easier. But just about everything else is better on the 330. The transom fishbox is huge (and refrigerated)!

The helm seating rocks. My wife absolutely loves the starboard helm seat/lounge, so much so that she's afraid that she won't get as tan this summer because she loves that seat so much compared to the cockpit seating. Another benefit on the 330 is that least 4 people can sit comfortably in AC under the hardtop. Sight lines were improved in 2008 when they raised the helm area, and ergonomics for moving around the helm were improved in 2015. I went with the platinum deluxe helm seat, and the electronics on the pop up console are all within easy reach, instead of having to stretch over the steering wheel to reach the electronics on the Marlin. (I bruised my chest often on the Marlin's steering wheel in rough seas while reaching for the fishfinder and chartplotter.) There is a refrigerated freezer box under the port side seat.

Where the boat really shines is the ride. There is simply no comparison. The Marlin rode well if you adjusted your speed and trim tabs for the conditions. The 330 doesn't care about the conditions. It rides well at much higher speeds in the same conditions that would have the Marlin crawling along at 18 knots. This past Saturday, I was running 30+ knots in white-capping 2-3' gulf seas in 20 knot winds. It didn't matter if I was running with the seas, against them, or parallel. The boat rode well, and it was DRY. The Marlin would have been soaked, with the windshield wiper going non-stop.

The side curtain design on the 330 is better, providing zippers for rolling up the side curtains, instead of snaps. The cabin is much more luxurious, with a dedicated settee and table for dining. Your wife can stay sleeping while you sit up and read or have a cup of coffee. There's also far more cabinetry and drawers in the cabin for storage of provisions. The head has far more room (you can actually stand in a normal stance while using the toilet instead of bracing one foot up against a slanted contour on the Marlin).

The 330 handles better around the docks, because the motors are spaced out quite a bit farther...but I also have a bow thruster.

Overall, I would not consider going back to a Marlin, mostly due to the improved ride, and the helm configuration of the 330. If Grady offered a true walkaround like the marlin in a 33', I might consider it.

liinw8

Reaction score
Ok so comfortablynumb has nearly sold me on moving from my Marlin into a 330 if the opportunity and finances allow based on his description of the ride alone!! One remaining question though, was I imagining things or is there a lot less headroom in the main birth, and if there's less headroom do you find that annoying at all?

Gary M

Reaction score
Thanks CN! That's some VERY valuable info there that I will share with Jenn! She needs a bit more of a nudge to move up to a 330 than I do so this will help.

Hopefully, my custom made Bow Bimini will fit on a 330. I had it made with extra long straps, just in case we moved up to a bigger, wider boat. It drops the cabin temp about 6-8 degrees on a hot, Bahamian summer day! And you'll never hear rain beating on the cabin at night while sleeping aboard! :goodjob

031.jpg

With regards to changes and improvements that Grady made to the 330 over the years, is 2008 an important year? I know that F-350s were put on some boats then. But are there any advantages to various other year 'models' to look for?

Thanks........ and I know there is another 330 thread going here that also has some great info.......

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I keep looking for a window to jump in here and I don't find one. I can't improve on any points that have been made.

I will say that if your ever contemplating a Bahama run, Gary M is a great source of pics & info. I have enjoyed his stories and photos over the years.

Comfortably Numb..A Floyd fan, I must assume?

Comfortably Numb

Reaction score
liinw8,

I found no noticeable height difference in the forward birth of the 330 vs the Marlin when the center table and cushion were in place. Also, remember that you are sitting in the V birth area of the Marlin when dining. The 330 has a separate dinette area.

GaryM,

That's a cool bow bimini!

2008 they raised the helm deck, and reinforced the transom to hold 350s
2015 they reconfigured the seating at the helm
2017 they redid the cabin with all indirect LED lighting and upgraded appliances

Fishtales

Reaction score
Gary M said:
We'd probably be looking in the $125-$150k zone.

I'd lean toward a 330 because:

1) It would be my 4th Grady so it's familiar
2) Not a Merc fan so Whalers are out
3) The Pursuit 325 cabin is basically what we have now, with less access to the mid berth.

I prefer a side helm as I still like to lean out the window on occasion! (docking and for birds, etc)

I bent Grady President Chris Carroll's ear at the Lauderdale Boat Show a few years back about coming out with the 341 Swordfish! Same as the Marlin but bigger (34-11 LOA), wider, more fuel, side helm, bigger cabin, F-350s, etc. I reminded her that the Marlin was Grady's best seller ever and that the 341 would fall nicely in between the 330 and the 370...... but it fell on deaf ears. :bang

I'd like to see that boat too. Could be in the 330 hull to save some redesign time but a 34 would be just fine too. Maybe when the dual console rage runs out of steam they will consider it. Till then the BW or the Pursuit are the choices.

Gary M

Reaction score
I'm afraid that boat builders are fully on board with bigger cabins and that means 'goodbye' to the restrictions in the cabin that the walkaround 'troughs' take away........

On the HEY MON! the bow seating and the factory cushions are VERY popular on boat rides...... can't do that on the 330/370.....

But to me, that's a very small sacrifice......

Fishtales

Reaction score
If they want to get rid of the big walks, ok. But please don't only have the center helm option. Look at the Pursuit Offshore series, much better layout IMHO.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
I went on a new 330 yesterday in Boston for the first time. $449,900.

I now think making the jump from my marlin to a 330 isn't as big of a size jump as I had thought. I assume its because I've over hyped the 330 into something that it could never be.

Love the 330 though! Just buy it, you can always sell it!!