Low A/C voltage readout on Panel

Aquanut2

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I’m restoring an 2004 Marlin which has a few electrical gremlins. One of which when hooked to shore power the panel reads around 60-70 volts a/c but if I put a volt meter on any outlet it reads fine at 120v. This is on the shore power side I wont share the generator side issues yet.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Mike

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Turn power off, disconnect shorepower cable. Remove the panel. Check for V at the power side of the gauge. Inspect all connections. Not just a cursory glance. Remove, inspect connectors and the visible, exposed wires. Clean connectors and contacts with a brass or SS detail brush. Put a very small/thin (do NOT go heavy here) smear of dielectric grease on the connectors and reinstall.

seasick

Reaction score
If the meter reads low but the outlets have proper voltage, the meter and or panel is bad.
To be sure, plug in an ac device that draws some power to see if it works.

Aquanut2

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the tips I pulled the panel cleaned all the connections on both the 120 & 12v sides adding dielectric grease. Found the biggest offender the shore power plug was melted last owner must have been pulling too many amps.
IMG_9106.jpg

seasick

Reaction score
It may not be excessive draw. More likely the plug got wet and wet with salt water. If you drop an end into the briny it may be terminal for the chord. If power was on when the boat end got dunked, you can bet it will be terminal eventually.

That said, I would not expect an outlet IN the boat to read normal AC voltage but have the panel meter read low.
Let us know what you get when you replace the chord.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Those meters are not the most accurate either. Good that you found that issue to resolve. If the meter is a little low and the actual voltage measurements are good, you can likely just live with it.

seasick

Reaction score
60-70 volts instead of 115-120 is not ' a little' low:)