Low rider 222 Fisherman

Mannyboum

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum so bear with me. I have owned my 2004 222 Fisherman w/250 Yamaha HPDI since Oct 2004. There is only one problem I have been having with my boat. I bought it used in '04 with 45 hours on it. When I first splashed the boat the waterline at the transom was an inch below the scuppers for the deck. It has been sitting lower over the last few years and now the waterline is almost covering the scupper flaps completly. The dealer I purchase it from recently told me that it was normal. Iwent throught the vessel head to toe,stem to stern and there were no chips or cracks in the hull, no leaks from the thruhulls and there is never more than 1/2 inch of water in my bilge at anny given time that i have checked. Dont know what to do and any help would be Greatly appreciated.

Manny
Port Washington, NY

Mannyboum

Reaction score
Would't know where to go and scale it. If i did where would i find to proper weight amount?

gregsnow

Reaction score
Website
www.NauticalHeadquarters.com
You have extra weight somewhere on the boat. If you havent added anything new to the boat that is heavy then water in the hull/transom is the only other possibility. Weight is the only thing that will sink a boat deeper in the water. Thats not normal, call the plant or another dealer.

Barlow46

Reaction score
This is going to sound far-fetched but has it been in the same body of water since you bought it? You did't go from salt water to fresh water by chance?

Mannyboum

Reaction score
The only weight that was added since I purchased it was the radar. I routinely check to see if there is excess tackle or equipment on board. I also dont have a livewell either. What I dont understand is that a friend who is about 300lb gets on and the boat sits an inch lower. How much water could my hull be holding?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Have you removed or relocated any weight that was up front before, or additional batteries, or bigger batteries added to the stern? Was windlass removed? Anchor kept on pulpit removed?
If you had weight up forward that was removed, big impact on stern height.

The only place to hold water is the stringer grid outside the tank area where Grady foams the emply grids, can't be water logged - boat is too new. The other area is theh tank compartment that can hold water, drains would have to be plugged.

I don't know how to access the foam grid area to inspect it on your model.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Here's another idea, drop the dock hose into the anchor locker, turn on full bore, go to bilge at stern, is the water level rising ?

Mannyboum

Reaction score
No weight added to the stern guys, and the is no windlass, the anchor is the same weight. Only thing removed from the boat were the cushions.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Then do the hose test thru the anchor locker, the water should reach the bilge promptly if properly draining.

catch22

Reaction score
Just wondering... if you have duel fuel tanks, the amount of gas you have in each tank will effect how the boat sits. Small amount in rear tank and large amount in the front would allow it to sit higher in the stern. Vice-versa and it will sit lower in the stern.
I don't think 3/4's of the way up the scuppers is anything to be too concerned about. That does sound about normal.

jdr2

Reaction score
i am looking at a sister ship with same set up and problem. Is this engine to heavy for this boat?
jdr2

gw204

Reaction score
If the motor was too heavy, it would have been too heavy from day one. Besides, I'm sure they were building that boat to hold a F225 as well which is much heavier than a 250 HPDI.

Can you tell if all items mounted to the outside of the transom have been sealed properly. If you have screw or scupper holes leaking, that could possibly saturate your transom core and add a fair amount of weight.

My advice is to check w/ another dealer and if their diagnosis is not to your liking, hire a surveyor to chech the hull with a moisture meter.

I normally agree w/ BobP, but in this case I have to respectfully disagree with his advice. If you have blocked drains somewhere, simply adding water to the boat will only make the situation worse.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi Brian, the advise was for the purpose of determining if water entering the anchor locher like it normally does was draining properly from the entire bilge space. It's something the Grady dealer should have already checked out with the complaint, but you know how it is. 2004 is too new to have saturated foam, and seems to new to soak out a transom.

It has been reported here and elsewhere, and a buddy of mine with a new 20 footer walkaround, Grady quality issues resulted in the PVC tube being plugged or mostly plugged with errant resin/cloth. The water collected and built up over the years. Rain and heavy seas water normally enters the anchor locker not to mention wet rodes dripping. My buddy had to add another deck plate in order it access the tube opening to verify it was that end plugged and to get the plug out.

If the water get trapped along the way, not much means a lot since it's 8.5 lbs per gallon.

So, if the member didn't see water at the stern bilge with the water test, he has somethinhg to tell Grady to investigate, and email this to Grady HQ customer service, so they will call the dealer to get him cranked up.

Since the member didn't report one side or the other being lower, then I bet it's along the middle of the boat something is happening, exactly where the bilge water lays and the various compartments that are NOT foam filled, like the fuel tank, FW tank.

I don't think the member is so inclined to do much of what I recommended, I understand, no problem, that's why there are dealers.
Me, I just want to "get it done" and don't have much patience for hired hands who don't .

I'm not sure how the anchor locker drains on his model, but that's how it was on my 204C, and 252GT (to forward bilge).

Surely Bassey

Reaction score
I bet the salinity level has dropped relative to where it is docked now vs before.
Someone else suggested this and it's a good call.
Most of our boats are traveling in saltwater but are docked in bays that are fed by rivers. The salinity level is much different than full strength saltwater therefore the boat will sit lower in fresh and higher in saltwater.

seasick

Reaction score
Salinity change is a possibility. Several hundred pounds of barnacles is also:)

I assume you have checked the bilge for water. If there is any, check to see if the bilge float switch needs adjustment.
I would like to know what you find out. This past spring I had to up the bottom paint water line about an inch from the original line at the transom. I suspect that I keep the fuel tank fuller than the previous owner. He told me how much fuel was left when the last bar flashed on the display. I have never gotten that low on fuel and never have seen that bar flash..

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
We never heard back from MannyB.

GG to MannyB, GG to MannyB , are you out there? come in, come in.

Must have his radio off, hopefully wetting line.