Low Torque Specs

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Hey can any of you guys recommend a torque wrench for tightening spark plugs? I need to do both my outboard and truck, my truck spec is 11 ft/lbs and the click type I have, even though the low end starts at 5 doesn't work. Thanks

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Snap-on makes several that are high quality. You may have to convert ft/lbs to inch/lbs if you have a large range of torque requirements. eg: 11 ft/lbs = 132in/lbs

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A 1/4" wrench should do it.

BUT... I have changed a loh-ha-LOT of plugs - probably more than most because I work in the industry. I have NEVER used a torque wrench on plugs. It's too easy to do it "by feel" to warrant the wrench. Just a thought.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Get a Craftsman 3/8" torque wrench at Lowes. It's a lot cheaper than repairing a stripped cylinder head. Safer for the occasional mechanic - which I am too. Comes in handy for other Yamaha service projects.

I also use a copper antisieze sparingly on the plugs. Not in the service manual but I do it anyway.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
A 1/4" wrench should do it.

BUT... I have changed a loh-ha-LOT of plugs - probably more than most because I work in the industry. I have NEVER used a torque wrench on plugs. It's too easy to do it "by feel" to warrant the wrench. Just a thought.
I hear ya, I never have either but this is mainly for my truck. It has those iridium plugs with no compression rings and it is highly recommended to torque these type.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I hear ya, I never have either but this is mainly for my truck. It has those iridium plugs with no compression rings and it is highly recommended to torque these type.
Gotcha. Yeah, I think your best bet then is with the 1/4", given the torque spec is so small. Be sure to calibrate it - which should be done every so often, anyways. I do it with a simple suitcase weight scale at a 1' mark on the handle. I'm sure there's youtube videos that can give more detailed info, but that's the jist of it.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I keep an inch pound torque wrench and a foot pound torque wrench. Both are snap on and come with calibration charts. They are not cheap but are extremely accurate. I use my foot pound torque wrench for items such as head bolts and Lugnuts. Most tire shops use torque sticks on their impact wrenches. Those are not nearly as accurate as a good torque wrench. My inch pound torque wrench is primarily used for bicycle maintenance and other low torque items. Some items are torqued with dry threads others with lubricated threads. It does make a difference! Most people do it by feel, which is usually OK.

seasick

Reaction score
The 'feel' method works well for applications with new crush washers.
I know that some mechanics say to never reuse a plug. If that is a sin, I am going to hell:)

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I know that some mechanics say to never reuse a plug. If that is a sin, I am going to hell:)

We will both have to get used to our whiskey being warm.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Guess I'm right behind you. A little light wire brushing, verify the gap, and I put 'em right back in. I'll change them when they actually get worn, though.