Lower unit failed

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Last Friday, 21 Aug, we were returning from offshore when we hit something, not sure what it was as we never saw it, but we hit it doing 30. Starboard engine made some really horrible banging noises, my son was driving at the time so he snatched the throttles to neutral. We could not get the starboard engine into gear after that so we had to chug in on one engine. The next day we dropped the starboard lower unit, and sure enough it was locked up. By the way the port engine bullet was scratched up and those plastic cooling vents were broken. I think we were lucky that the port engine survived the hit.
I checked around to see if the lower unit could be rebuilt, but two different maintenance guys told me the same thing, possible but not probable, plus expensive to tear it down only to find out it is not repairable......so I called a couple local shops to see if they had one, no luck but the Boathouse Marine parts guy gave me SEI's number so I called them (they are over near Tampa). Yes they had one, could ship it to me in two days. So I pulled the trigger on it, $1209 with shipping. It arrived in two days via FedEx. My son and I installed it yesterday and did a sea trial, all went fine. We are following the break in procedures as recommended by SEI.
So long story but bottom line, I would recommend them. The lower unit came in black so we had to paint it to match but it was not a big deal. Their number is: 813-925-7127.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Wow!

Lucky and then some g0tagrip.

Glad it ended well :D

Lee

seasick

Reaction score
Do you have comprehensive insurance coverage on your boat? Things like that are usually covered.

In the early days of SEI, it was critical to follow there guidance for installation, painting and break in. They were pretty picky.

Divajean

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
SEIs are fine, but follow their break in to the letter.
Bought my grady with a locked up 225,relieved to find lower unit locked, sei saved the day,run flawless all summer,3 year warranty. I followed break in with sei foot oil

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Replaced one of my lower units (OX66 Yam 225s) with SEI several years ago and it worked fine. Didn’t seem to take as much oil from what I recall. Far less than OEM! Inexpensive though.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes following the break in directions, yes I did get the three year warranty also. I will check with Allstate to see if lower unit was covered, thanks did not think of that.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lower units are a disposable item where I boat. Most folks go with SEI unless their insurance will cover the OEM part. Most do.

SEI units don't hold up as well as the original Yamaha part. But their no questions asked replacement policy is great. Since they are pretty local to me, I've driven down to them with lower units that had the pumpkin split with pieces of gears hanging out and picked up a replacement on the spot.

I'll second the careful break-in procedure and emphasize the need to run the motor in reverse a good bit before that first oil change. When they fail, they most often go before the first 20 hr.

Reactions: SmokyMtnGrady

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I think you hit one of the following items :
Great White shark
Mako Shark
telephone pole from Cuba
A refrigerator
a container that fell off a cargo ship filled with cheap Chinese toys
A Russian Submarine trying to subvert our elections
A wad of packaging bands about 4 feet in diameter just floating below the surface

Some of these items I have seen in the ocean. Caught a big old dolphin out of floating Whirlpool fridge. I have seen telephone poles. I hit a wad of packaging bands while trolling. I have heard about containers . you never know about those pesky Russians or sharks.

seasick

Reaction score
After Sandy, you had a good chance of hitting just about anything including houses:)
Fortunately I didn't break any LUs but I did whack a few props and had to have them re-hubbed and tuned.
After ant storm that causes damage to marine infrastructure and coastal construction, there can be lot of 'stuff' floating on and UNDER the water.