Lower unit replacement

Steds83

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Yamaha HPDI 200 that needs a new lower unit and prop (don't ask :bang ). Any have a good estimate of what this should cost? Thanks.

Steds83

Reaction score
I'm thinking of filing through insurance and therefore taking to a shop.

What have people experienced with insurance premiums after a claim? Is it as bad as car insurance?

seasick

Reaction score
Daman858 said:
DIY or taking it to a shop? Lower units are not that expensive and not that hard to install.
Not that expensive??
Other than a SEI unit, how much do you think a Yami unit costs?
Last time I looked a LU was running about $2000 and to that you have to add labor and a prop.
Even used LUs can run $700 to $1200 and who knows what you are getting

gw204

Reaction score
For new OEM Yamaha you are probably looking at $2000 to $2500 for just the lower unit and prop, slightly higher if it's for a lefty.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Search the used market, if you aren't in a hurry one can be found for under $500. Find all compatable units, all V6 2 strokes may have the same lower unit but check to be sure.

Steds83

Reaction score
I have not called Simyamaha yet - looked at their website and did not see lower units. Thanks for the tip.

Anyone have experience with SEI lower units? Price is a third of OEM. How do they do that? Here's the link:

http://www.sterndrive.cc/

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You can buy an old 2 stroke for not too much or one with a blow powerhead for just about nothing and rebuild the lower unit to resell and part the rest out.

seasick

Reaction score
Steds83 said:
I have not called Simyamaha yet - looked at their website and did not see lower units. Thanks for the tip.

Anyone have experience with SEI lower units? Price is a third of OEM. How do they do that? Here's the link:

http://www.sterndrive.cc/
I have a friend who bought a SEI outdrive and it worked out very well. I haven't heard many negatives at all and would consider an SEI unit if I need a LU. There is a three year waranty and that even covers damage from hitting something . Where else can you get 3yrs?
It is very important to follow the break-in directions. Repeat.. very important.

mackcl733

Reaction score
sei are put toogether in the us with chinese parts!!! junk... i was going to buy one for a customer and changed my mind after hearing several people on ther 2nd or 3rd one under warranty. they stand behind them but what good is that when the boat isnt moving and someones on the phone yelling at you. i went with one from hordcore marine in florida. it was a lh for $1250 no problems at all

seasick

Reaction score
mackcl733 said:
sei are put toogether in the us with chinese parts!!! junk... i was going to buy one for a customer and changed my mind after hearing several people on ther 2nd or 3rd one under warranty. they stand behind them but what good is that when the boat isnt moving and someones on the phone yelling at you. i went with one from hordcore marine in florida. it was a lh for $1250 no problems at all

boslaw

Reaction score
I just had mine replaced. Brand new, OEM lower unit, installed was $2600 for my 1997 Yamaha 2 stroke 200. I know I could have installed it myself for free but they already had my boat - wasn't sure that the lower unit was the problem until they called me in to show me the damage.

Read mixed reports on the SEI units - search the web. Some people have reported that they're not great in saltwater but have had good success in freshwater.

Steds83

Reaction score
Boslaw - I must have read the same comments on SEI. I even looked at rebuilt but you just don't know where the core came from. Decided to go with new Yamaha lower unit. Hopefully installed and back in the water by week end. Looking for a couple more good days before the season ends...

boslaw

Reaction score
A rebuilt might be fine and saves lots of $$, but in MA we don't have a long boating season and I'd rather pay the $$ and feel more confident that I won't have any downtime related to the lower unit in the future.