Lowrance / Simrad Autopilot for Marlin

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hello, i wanted to see if anyone could share some input on adding auto pilot to my 2001 marlin with twin OX66 yamaha 250's. The boat has hydraulic steering with a seastar cylinder on each outboard and a link bar between the two. I currently run Lowrance HDS Live units on the boat along with all other Lowrance/Simrad accessories. Id like to add autopilot but not sure what kit i should go with. I see Lowrance offers the "ouboard pilot" kit but im not sure that pump would be enough to steer the boat or not. Anyone have any suggestions, experience, or input on this?

Thank you

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have same Lowrance HDS Lives. Could not use the NAV-1 Kit, the Pump is not big enough and had to go with the Nav-3 and bigger pump for Seastar volume. ended up with AP-48 Autopilot, so it does not have control from the HDS, but I am OK with that actually. I just put in my course on the HDS and tweak the AP-48 to match. IMO, one of the best things I ever did, it is a pleasure from leaving jetties to returning. I can send pictures, had a bracket mad to hang under helm so it was a horizontal mount, the way it should be, and fairly easy install.

Reactions: Jrspawn

Jrspawn

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have same Lowrance HDS Lives. Could not use the NAV-1 Kit, the Pump is not big enough and had to go with the Nav-3 and bigger pump for Seastar volume. ended up with AP-48 Autopilot, so it does not have control from the HDS, but I am OK with that actually. I just put in my course on the HDS and tweak the AP-48 to match. IMO, one of the best things I ever did, it is a pleasure from leaving jetties to returning. I can send pictures, had a bracket mad to hang under helm so it was a horizontal mount, the way it should be, and fairly easy install.
If you have any pictures of the system and installation I’d love to see it! Thank you for the info also!

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Here was a picture I posted in another thread:

Basically, had a local sheet metal guy make an Alum Bracket w/ gusset hung on the bulkhead under helm. I bought the Simrad Kit with the AP48, Pump, and NAC-3. I will get some more pictures. Just matching the Fittings was the main thing, they ended up being NPT to my Seastar Helm, but you need to verify that. The kits have the ORB, etc. I actually got the right ones at a hydraulic shop, only to find out I had them on my shelf at work since we do Pneumatics. Home Depot would have too.