M260 Transducer 265Express

Boat Hound

Reaction score
Has anyone put one in? Boat is buried with snow right now, but if I remember correctly, access in the bilge is not too bad if you pull the rear hatch up? Any tips on best location?
m260.jpg

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I plan to install a in-hull tducer in my 265 once the snow goes away, so we should compare notes. I just got the boat and haven't opened the hatch so I'm not sure what we're in for. I think running the cables should be straightforward if there's enough elbow room through the hatch. I expect I'll be undertaking this around April 1 since it's on the Cape and snow is less of an issue. I hope others that have done this weigh in on this project.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had that unit in my 2006 306, was a great unit mated to E80's. For temperature you have to go with a separate transom or thru hull ducer. Airmar makes a thru hull which is really low profile.

Oh, mine was filled with oil, not antifreeze.

Boat Hound

Reaction score
thanks for the quick responses -
Max, we should compare notes. I was going to see if there were any deals at the boat show this year. I agree that running the wire should be no big deal, Grady does a real nice job with the rigging tubes. I hate to say it looks easy, because we know what happens, but I don't think it should be too bad. (stay tuned for posts in April on what am I doing wrong)

I was going to do the thru hull speed and temp as well. Seems easy enough.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I have on on my boat with the Ray E80 and E120 displays and the DSM. Works great. Never lose the bottom at any speed.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I fitted a Airmar 1 kw transducer with high speed fairing block approx 3 years ago. IT was relatively easy. I chose not to run thru the rigging tubes as I was concerned about interference from power sources etc.
I kept the cable under the coaming. There is plenty of room in the hatch to work. Whilst many worry about putting a hole in the hull it is not as if you are not replacing it with something.

My transducer is approximately 18 inches from the transom and in the middle of the hull between the 2 motors and just aft of the raw water scoops.

We have run at 30knots plus with no interference.Initially I didn't want to use the fairing block as it was so big, but it makes a big difference to interference and getting clean water over the face of the trannie.

I have not had any experience with the newer flush mount transducers.

Steds83

Reaction score
I thought I breathe life into this thread and see if either of you (or anyone else) installed a shoot through transducer in a 265 Express?
If so, where do you install? Any pictures? How's the performance?

I contacted GW and they supplied a table of Grady White Suggested Transducer Locations for most models.

For the 265 they recommend a shoot through transducer located aft of shower sump. This location appears to be just starboard of the fresh water tank - very far from the stern - I'm guessing to get clean water flow. I have not tried to get a look at the space available there - will do soon.

Any input would be appreciated. I purchased my 2001 265 at the end of last season and the transom mounted transducer has a difficult time keeping track of the bottom if there is any chop. Mostly use on her on LI Sound so not likely deeper than 120'.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I don't know why they persist with that advice but further back has to be better. In rough conditions that area could easily be out of the water. You want an area that has clean water and definitely no air!

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just installed a P79 (600W) in hull unit on my new to me 265. I have a Raymarine set up with a DSM300. I went with the less expensive P79 unit because I want to check out the location for smooth water and then install a B116 thru hull next year. The installation of the all new electronics was a major project and decided to cut the major hole in the hull after I have more time and experience.
I attached the P79 through the aft hatch just forward of the transom door just off the centerline to the port side just behind the pump. I'm doing this from memory and it's a bit fuzzy. I'll get a picture this weekend.
In limited use so far (I have had plugged VST filter issues because the boat sat for 2 years) the tducer seems to work well. I was picking up the bottom (40 ft) at 36 mph and the resolution at trolling speeds was remarkable. I suspect the losses from shooting through the hull will limit its performance but it appears to be good enough.
More info if needed after this weekend- hopefull the fuel issues will be behind me.

gulfcart

Reaction score
I have a 260 in my 33Express hooked to NavNet 2 (Furuno). Don't put it where Grady says. They told me to put it in the forward bilge area. I did it and lost the bottom at 12 knots or less. Called again they said cut a hole in the storage compartment of the aft berth, install there..Same result.
I finally installed about 20" from the transom on the starboard side on the deadrise..Works great, very seldom loose the bottom at speed. Only if its real rough.
Worse part I couldn't get the boxes off after they were glued..Had to buy new ones everytime...expensive lesson..