macerator pump 272 sailfish

mhff34

Reaction score
I tried to pump out my holding tank for the first time and nothing happened. Not sure if I blew a fuse or what. The owners manual says I should have a switch at the helm but there isn't one. Any suggestions would be appreciated

CKJR

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
are the lights on the panel lit? if not there is a fuse in the panel. I had trouble with mine-would blow fuse-motor was frozen. didnt want to spend the huge cost of replacement thru groco. ended up removing the motor and having a local electrical motor shop disassemble ,clean up and lube up. so far so good and it only cost me $35.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Try a search for "groco" or "groco macerator" on this site. There is a lot of info on troubleshooting this piece of equipment.

alfa1023

Reaction score
My 272 has the pump out switches inside the cabin, just to the right as you go down the steps. You push one to get the tanbk level, then puch both to pump out the tank.

A while back mine would not pump out - panel showed tank full - you could hear the pump running but nothing came out the bottom (yes, seacock was open) - long and short of it, the floats on the float switch had rotted away, telling the sender the tank was full when it was far from it.

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You really need to search for "groco" or "groco macerator" as I suggested earlier.

The level indicator lights have absolutely nothing to do with the ability of the pump to operate. How do you know that the floats have rotted? Did you pull the sender? If the lights are on, there is power to the pump. The pump doesn't care or know if the tank is empty or full. It just pumps if power is applied to it from the panel. I don't understand the phrase that "both must be pushed" to activate the pump. The normal Groco panel has a round push button to activate the pump.

After reading the searches, come back and I will try to help troubleshoot the system if you want.

freddy063

Reaction score
what year? My 94 have a breaker on the dash above the switches.

mhff34

Reaction score
Thanks guys, its a 2000 and the gauge never worked since I've had the boat always read 3/4 full. I will try and search more on this site. I have already read the groco site in order to fix the reading.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have the same model I think (272 Sailfish) and my pump is not working. Checked all connections and I am going to be checking the motor when I get a chance to. I may try and lube or have the motor rebuilt. Since the boat it 9 years old, I'm thinking the motor may be gone. Hopefully I can get the thing working again for another year or two or more. BTW - my gage which shows full or empty never worked either. I looked on top of the holding tank and it appears the wires to gage are corroded. I’m guessing you may be having the same problem.

Does anyone know what the correct winterization of the macerator pump and holding tank is? I have always flushed mine and then poured in the red antifreeze. Up till now, not a problem. Thanks,

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you have power to the pump, it may just be frozen due to lack of use, corrosion, and the environment it lives in. If you have lights in the panel, you probably have power to the pump. Remember that the level lights and probe have nothing to do with the pump operation. Pull the pump and check to see it you can place a box end wrench on the bottom bolt which holds the macerator blade in place. If you rotate the bolt/shaft, usually it will free up the corrosion. Then squirt a lube(Corrosion Block, T-9, WD-40) into the shaft housing. This has worked for me. Check out the past posts on Groco macerator pumps on this site. I wrote an extensive troubleshooting list for these pumps a year or so ago. I would attach the old post, but I don't know how to do that.

The pump removal isn't nearly as miserable as you might imagine.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
SilverLining - Thanks for getting back to me. I was a little concerned that removing the pump might be a really dirty job. Thanks again for the tips! David

mhff34

Reaction score
Silverlining, I checked your old posts, good info. I also found that I blew a 25 amp fuse when I try to pump out so I probably have a frozen pump. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mike

SilverLining

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sounds like some corrosion around the pump shaft. Pull the pump and turn the shaft with a wrench until it turns freely. If you place the pump upside down, squirt the lube into the recess around the shaft. If you have a 12V source, run the pump and add more lube. Be sure to check the stainless clamps around the rubber boot sealing the motor and shaft for tightness. Good luck.....