Maiden Voyage. Finally

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So after brake controllers not working, work commitments, trailer registration and weather I finally got the 228 wet last weekend.

Wasn’t without it’s moments. Discovered the wheel arches are too close to the tyres from the grinding sound as the front axle loaded up going from the flat to the incline of the boat ramp. Was a bit of excitement until I worked out what it was. Has a second set of holes to raise the wheel arches so no problem.

So just after that someone yells out “ hey mate your wheel has fallen off.“ WHAT THE!!!
Luckily not as bad as it sounds. The weld where one of the of the spare tyre carriers is welded to the trailers had broken. Just glad it didn’t come off on the highway. So off to the welders.

The boat? Great!! Just a small step up in class from my 17 ft aluminium centre console. Gone are the days where it feels like all your fillings are going to fall out and you are a couple of inches shorter than when you left.

One question. From the trim tab gauge it appears that the trim tab controls are back to front. Port switch controls the starboard trim tab and vice versa. Doubt the PO used it like that. There are 2 buttons on the bottom of the trim tab gauge. Not sure what they do.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
Sean,
Good to hear you finally got her in the drink. It is quite easy to lift the guards up so the tyres don't hit them as long as the boat sits high enough so the boat doesn't hit the guards. If not high enough you can lift the bunks a little. I like my boat to sit as low as possible for trailering ( lower centre of gravity ) and for launching and retrieving.
The trim tab switches are correct the way the are , they do them like that so when the vessel leans say on the port side you activate the starboard side tab down, that will push the starboard side of the boat down and lift the port side up. You will get use to it but if for some reason you don't like it you can switch it around. Switch the little plugs at the rear on the switches.
I'm sure you didn't expect the 17' tinny or any tinny for that matter to perform like the Grady. These boats trimmed correct will outrun many 25' glass boats , quite often I leave the harbour with bigger boats than mine and I beat them to Browns mountain 22 kn from the heads.

SeanC

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the info on the trim tabs. Someone has been overthinking things.
Leaning to port, port tab down, leaning to starboard starboard tab down. Simples.
May swap the connections. Will see.

No didn’t think the tinnie would be anything near the Grady for ride.

I got a nice surprise when I went to fuel up. I had imported about 60 gallons of fuel.

What’s people’s views on fuel with ethanol?
Always used fuel without ethanol, but only had the choice between 98 octane and fuel with up to 10% ethanol.

Last edited:

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
If using ethanol, be sure and treat it. I try and run non ethanol as much as possible. Finally found a location near the lake when I'm boating close to home for non ethanol. On the coast when I go to South Carolina and Florida, non ethanol is pretty easy to find.

Congrats on splashing the boat, just put mine away for the winter. :(

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
As stated, treat the ethanol fuel, run as much out of the tank as possible, refuel with your favorite flavor, and enjoy your boat!
Congratulations!

Fishtales

Reaction score
the two buttons on the bottom may be for LED brightness. Your tabs are connected correctly.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
What’s people’s views on fuel with ethanol? Always used fuel without ethanol said:
I never use Ethanol on any vehicle, not even on my lawnmower.
Just use 91, that's all you need on your engine , that's what I use as well. Most of the time I buy it at $1.20 per lt. Sge holds about 470 lts , 125 us gallons , I get two fishibg trips with that so I fill up on the down cycle.

Fishtales

Reaction score

I agree with wrxhoon completely. The problem is in some areas all you can get is ethanol blended gas. We've had to use for years now. I just use ring free during the year and stabilizer over the winter. Never a problem thus far.