Main Breaker Replacement...

jfmagana

Reaction score
I have a 2003 228, but I've heard that the main breaker on Grady's is a common failure mode (i.e., that the breaker corrodes and becomes inoperative). Have any of you ever experienced this problem? Should I look into replacing this breaker (or at least inspecting it)? Breaker I'm referring to is located on the transom wall near the battery select switch. It is encased in a white plastic housing and has a simple red push button.

jfmagana

Reaction score
BobP said:
Try one of these if you intend to replace as a preventive measure.
No need for a cover on this baby -
I have four of them at the stern.

Blue Sea Series 185

http://bluesea.com/category/3/10/produc ... erview/150

Thanks for the tip. The fact that that breaker is waterproof is great. The area where the main breaker is located tends to be a very corrosive environment.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We have not had any problem with the factory installed 40-amp main breaker.

However, I did use two Bluesea surface mount breakers for additional installations, e.g. 40-amp for the dedicated windlass supply and 150-amp for the dedicated inverter supply.

Brian

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
No problems with my breakers, the 1989 has the original and never had a problem and the 265 has not had a problem, but I agree with BobP,blueseas makes some nice products and would likely be the product to go with if your concerned about it and want to prevent an issue. I have not heard of any issues from fellow Grady owner's firsthand, maybe it was with a particular model or year?...not sure.

jfmagana

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies folks. I remember now...it was actually my local Grady service shop that told me that the main breaker was notorious for getting corroded internally and failing on you at the most inopportune time. I'll ask the mechanic for details and post what he says. At any rate, based on the responses, I'd wager that this isn't a widespread issue.