Main Engine Fuse

Average Joe

Reaction score
On Monday I was on day three of a great weekend on the water when I suddenly found myself dead in the water about 25 miles from the ramp. I had stopped the boat and turned the engine off for a few minutes so wifey could climb down the swim ladder and cool off. When she got back in the boat I turned the key and heard one "click" at the motor (Yamaha F-150) and then nothing. The motor wouldn't turn over, guages were out and the trim/tilt didn't work yet all of my accessories still worked.

I threw out the anchor and called Sea-Tow. While I waited I called a Yamaha mechanic and described the scenario to him. He suggested I try changing the 50 amp main engine fuse located on the motor. I did so and the motor started right up. I was able to call off the tow and make it home with no further problems.

My concern is what caused the fuse to go and could it happen again? Could just be random because it's 11 yrs old? Any ideas? BTW, a replacement fuse is about $ 40.00

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Only way to find out is to go through your electric system(s). Could be as little as loose connection or a short somewhere to a bad starter motor.

Blackbird

Reaction score
I had this issue on a 2000 Yamaha OX66 outboard. About every 2 years, the main fuse would blow for no apparent reason on only one of the engines. Sometimes it happened at cruising speed and other times while trolling. It was a "ghost" problem. I was never able to find the cause or simulate the problem. All diagnostic testing showed everything as normal. My solution was simply to carry a supply of spare fuses. Good luck.