Maine to ??? I want to do a trip, hotel to hotel…

sailUSVI

GreatGrady Captain
Joined
May 7, 2020
Messages
86
Reaction score
37
Points
18
Location
TX/Maine
Model
Fisherman 216
…or preferably marina to marina. Maybe a month or 4 ? of relaxed travel.

Where would you go….down to NY toward Erie and some of the loop ? Stay on the Atlantic and travel down to….Florida ? Go up and into the St Lawrence ?

Boat, new 216 Grady White
Cost of hotels and fuel is covered, boat is paid for. 1 person, sometimes 2

Thoughts or opinions on this potential adventure ?

***picture was clear on my phone, blurry pics suck
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6417.jpeg
    IMG_6417.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Honestly? And I don't mean to be a party pooper, but that's going to be really tough in a small boat. Really, really tough. A small boat has limited fuel range... availability of easy access hotels is low along the coast of the NE (it's not like year-round boating areas)... weather can turn very fast and you're going to be in open ocean for a lot of that trip along the NE coast. Yes, you could follow the coastline along ME - but that coastline is longer than the entire East coast. I think it's a great idea - but unless you're someone that has had experience doing this kind of thing for years, starting out in a small boat (and especially single handed) will take a LOT of thinking and planning - and even then, it's going to be difficult.
 
  • Like
Reactions: sailUSVI
i tend to agree with the post above. that is a very small boat for that type of journey. i would trailer down to a destination spot of your choice (keys would be great, but long tow), and explore around that area.

that being said, a 70 year old guy just did the great loop in a john boat, so what do i know...
 
Thanks Dennis, I’m under no illusion that it’s a simple adventure or one without risk and thanks for pointing that out.

I bought a 2002 28ft Sailfish a few years back (from a member here) and took if from Maryland to South Portland. Took 2 days.

I’d probably want some extra fuel, that would be a priority because I’d haul ass where and when possible.

Anyway, certainly worth discussion….
 
Yeah, wasn't quite sure of your existing skill set so I tried to respond on the side of caution. If this is something you're comfortable doing, do it - but as you know, expect to get socked in at times for a couple days... maybe even a week or longer. As long as you have the time and patience (don't try to squeeze in that extra 20 miles... and don't underestimate the "what if" scenarios) it surely can be done. Just keep in mind that your boat's "ability" is much lesser than your previous boat's.

Are you familiar with the Waterway Guides? This would be a good thing to get to help you plan your routes.

Obviously all of the "what if" safety gear is important, which you likely already know.

Where in Maine are you starting? The bays are/can be some BIG water to cross. But if you're starting in Portland, it makes it easier as you can better follow coastline.

Thru the Cape canal, I assume? I went that way from NY to Friendship, ME a while back - we had a 29' sailboat so more seaworthy... but we were already closing in on a week so we took the shortcut :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: sailUSVI
I’ll kick it around for a spring/summer adventure if I can make it happen.

Continue the discussion guys…
 
I’m very fortunate…
Been in South Portland about 10 years or so. Different powerboats boats the whole time…nothing big or special.

Came up in the Sailfish and went thru the canal. I’d go that way, down the sound to the city, once around lady and on down the Jersey coast.

Staying dry is real important on a boat without a cuddy
 
If you're not locked in to you're starting point, there are many professional boat haulers who will take you to more protected waters to begin such an adventure. And they will do it on your schedule.

From there, just plot out marinas with nearby hotels. Or, we have Uber and Lyft now.

I did the Great Loop this way, most of it while still employed, so could only take two weeks at a time. I started out with our 208 Adventure but most of it was on our Journey 258. We saved Lakes Michigan and Huron and a venture into Canada for retirement and a Sailfish 282. On all of these trips there were a few stops with no hotel options, but you can carry enough food and water to cover those nights, even if it means non-refridgerated food for dinner.

Like every other adventure, be smart and be prepared.

Very many marinas with nearby hotels in Long Island Sound if you don't mind starting there. Same is true for Hudson River up to Troy, NY, if you want to take the Erie Canal into the Great Lakes. You will have 'weather days' waiting for calm water on the Great Lakes, even in Summer. But, you also can find reasonably spaced marinas with hotels within easy walking distance, if not part of the marina, for the entire length of the Great Lakes.

If you choose to go south from Long Island Sound, you'll have to contend with New York Harbor. It was sloppy for me on a calm wind day just from ship and tug and ferry traffic. Also, learn the traffic patterns of the harbor on a real chart. Otherwise, the myriad of red and green markers might just look like a mess to you. Did to me at first.

You might have to wait for a favorable day to make the 35-mile(?) outside run down the NJ coast to Manasquan Inlet. There are very many marinas with walkable hotels around New York Harbor.

Plan to wait a few days in Cape May for favorable, early morning wind and tide to make the run up Delaware Bay. But once you make to 50-mile(?) run up Delaware Bay, you're into the C&D Canal and on your way into Chesapeake Bay. Both of which have many marinas with hotels.

At the bottom of Chesapeake Bay is Norfolk and Mile Point 0.0 of the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway and you're on your way to the Florida Keys!

I'll make one uncommon recommendation: A VHF radio with AIS that talks to your chart plotter. Even better if you can afford a black box AIS that also transmits.

If you make the kind of trip I think you're contemplating, you will almost certainly encounter mega-yachts, tugs with barges, Dredges seemingly in the middle of the channel, freighters, etc. When I did the loop that made for some hairy situations when I couldn't get the big boat on the radio to arrange passing.

Now, with AIS, I believe I get an answer every time. And the tugs pushing barges appreciate a recreational boater asking on which side to overtake. I have been told that a tug was about to position himself for a turn, so would I just sit back for a few and he'll let me know when it's safe to pass. Or to pass on one side because there are unmarked snags on the other side.

We make side trips off the Great Loop now, things like the Tennessee River, the North Channel in Canada, etc. AIS makes such a difference in narrow channels.

There are apps that will tell you of all the marinas and their services within a given range. Useful to have on large bodies of water like Long Island Sound or the Great Lakes. I've never seen weather turn faster anywhere than the Great Lakes. I was always thinking 'where is my nearest duck in marina if I need it?'. No marina will turn you away if you're hiding out from an approaching thunderstorm. And with your size boat, it will be very easy to find slip space just about anywhere you go.

We recently went down the Tennessee River. It was a busy time due to all of the big boats coing down from the Chicago area. I was surprised at how many times I called ahead to a marina and heard, "we can always find space for a 28' boat". The average boat size has gotten so much larger than when I started boating a long time ago!

Those same boat haulers who started you off can pick you up at a specific marina or boat ramp given a week or two's notice. Actually, any of the really big marinas with ramps will likely be able to give you a few names.

I've gone on way long enough. If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask.

Rob