Maneuverability w/Outboard on Bracket

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
So far, my brother has the most time on our "new" '82 Offshore. The 250HP Yamaha is mounted on a bracket. He told me about an incident trying to back away from a dock and I was curious if the cause is simply due to having the OB on a bracket (it seems to make sense to me, anyway). He had trouble trying to back away and TURN the boat - I believe he was trying to back to starboard (very little current or wind) and was, for the most part, just going straight. What he told me reminded me of trying to back up a straight inboard that only has one engine. Those with brackets, does this sound about right?

Joe

Reaction score
As a new owner of 228 with a Yamaha F250 on a bracket, I can definitely agree that there is much more planning needed when backing the boat. I've never driven a boat with a bracket before this one, and for the first few hours of driving it I can definitely say it made me look like a newb when docking and performing close quarters handling--and I've been around and had boats for about 3.5 decades.

92explorer

Reaction score
Trim engine up a bit. That will direct the waterflow under the hull. If you don't your directing most of the flow of water smack into the hull. Takes a little playing with it but you'll get it with some practice.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On a bracket mounted outboard, you need to trim the motor up to have any control when backing.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi Dennis;

Also remember that a bracket puts the prop (your source of maneuverability) further aft away from the main hull. A transom mounted OB will be a little easier to work around a dock as the engine and prop are closer to the boat, making it more responsive to shifting and steering. It isn't night and day difference between the two, but it is noticeable.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Thanks, Bill - good point. That was sort of my initial thinking, too. When I run a twin engine inboard it is more maneuverable than a twin engine sterndrive (when just using Fwd/Rev). The inboard of course, has the props closer to the pivot point of the boat. I didn't think of the thrust vs transom issue, though.

Thanks guys, that makes me feel better and makes sense. With the OB mounted slightly higher (with the bracket) and further away, more of the prop wash hits the transom. Thanks!