Manual head operation for dummies

94Sailfish

Reaction score
I'll claim to be the dummy. :wink: Please feel free to correct/sharpen my operational understanding of the manual head in my boat.

1. Use the head.
2. On the seacock just starboard of the keel under the cabin floor, lift the valve handle to the vertical position. (The seacock just port of the keel in the same location is where the macerator pump discharges.)
3. On the head/toilet by the hand pump, lift the metal rod to the vertical position to allow water to be drawn into the toilet.
4. Engage the hand pump to draw water into the toilet. (This isn't working and is my problem.)
5. Do your business.
6. With the metal rod still in the vertical position, pump until your business is gone. (Pulling up draws sea water into the bowl. Pushing down moves waste and sea water into the holding tank.)
7. Once waste is removed, move the metal rod by the hand pump to the horizontal position. Continue pumping until the bowl is dry.

Thanks for any help.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm guessing at this but: 1) make sure you opened the right seacock(sounds like you did but double check) and 2) give it some priming help by adding water to the toilet... maybe that will get it going. Other than that you may need to replace some seals. I'm sure some other guys here will have much better answers.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nothing says you have to get the water from the seacock. If you can pump the ___ out to the holding tank, you can bring a bucket of water and fill with that.

Now if there are problems with the pump getting raw water, it may not be too long before she no longer pumps the nasty out. Be sure she pumps out before dropping a load.

94Sailfish

Reaction score
Lol, yeah we're using other water sources. But you are correct in that now, it won't pump in or out. I'm pretty sure its a seal/gasket thing but is the procedure listed above correct?

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Without knowing the model of your manual head your procedure sounds correct. Sounds like you need a rebuild kit.

94Sailfish

Reaction score
Ok, I've confirmed the procedure. Also, as was suggested above, the fix will be a rebuild kit. Glad I've got one coming; a five-gallon bucket gets old after awhile :lol:
What would really be nice is if someone could offer a tip on changing the manual pump to an electric one without a whole lotta' pain.

JB

Reaction score
I have a 95 272 Sailfish and experienced the same exact problem. I read up and looked under only to find both valves in correct "in line" position. I opened and closed them each a couple of times and just tried it again and all of a sudden dark black almosts mud came through and I kept pumping until it slowly turned clear, I guess the thru hull must of been clogged with mud, barnicles or something, anyway it works fine now. This was happening since I put her in in April and I just fixed it this past weekend and just read your forum. Good luck.
JB

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
94Sailfish said:
What would really be nice is if someone could offer a tip on changing the manual pump to an electric one without a whole lotta' pain.

Did exactly that two years ago. Took longer to run the power to the new pump than it did to unbolt the old unit and bolt on the new. All the plumbing connections matched up fine.

Don't know if this is the one for your boat, but it fit our Islander fine.
http://www.nulime.com/JABSCO-12v-Electric-Conversion-Kit/p249707

Brian