Manuals stored on board

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Wondering if folks are storing the Grady Bag full of manuals on board, and if so, where? I'm in a 330, and am tired of tripping over the bag of them, but don't really want to stuff em in a closed compartment where they might deteriorate.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I keep mine in the cabin inside the Grady bag.

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have my MDFs's flush mounted but hinged so I can access the box behind them, keep all my manuals there for easy access. Seem to have acquired a lot with a T 8 kicker, F 200, AP, Yamaha command gauges, i Troll, ....yikes ....it is a small library in there.

seasick

Reaction score
I agree that manuals can take a beating on the boat, the biggest issue being moisture and possible mildew. In addition not all manuals are needed on the boat. Many manuals can be downloaded to a tablet or phone. Personally, I don't store mine on the boat but there are times I wish I did mostly for electronics that don't have the most intuitive user interface.
An old friend of mine used to vacuum seal books and manuals that were important but not needed on a regular basis. He used a Food Saver machine and I have to say, the manuals stayed in perfect shape

Reactions: PointedRose

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Mine are on the boat most in zip-Loc bags. Kept in GW bag under v-berth on the side.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I store mine in the port side compartment under the forward V berth. Covered with that stamoid flap.

grady23

Reaction score
All mine are sealed in a LARGE zip-lock bag and then in my Grady bag. they are from 1997 and look like new.

ilmmct

Reaction score
Model
Explorer
I store mine inside my house and use the Captain Grady app which has a searchable PDF of the manual. I never boat without a fully charged phone and find the searching feature in the app handier than working through a paper doc.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I leave my manuals at home and bring the required manual to the boat if needed.
Murphy likes me way too much to be comfortable with this approach!

I'm going with the under V berth storage on this one. Not sure why I did not think of that already.

seasick

Reaction score
All mine are sealed in a LARGE zip-lock bag and then in my Grady bag. they are from 1997 and look like new.
How often do you need to open the bag for a manual? Is it always the same manual you need to read?

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
I keep all of my manuals, registration, insurance, fishing licenses, etc in the Grady bag. I store the bag inside the head compartment on the netted shelf. In 6 years, no issues.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I keep mine at home. Only manual I have on board is the one for the Simrad to figure out a function if needed.

Toothpick 10

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Murphy likes me way too much to be comfortable with this approach!

I'm going with the under V berth storage on this one. Not sure why I did not think of that already.
Keep in mind that you can access most manuals through your phone online if you need information in a hurry.

Reactions: kirk a

trapper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fortunately we cruise into beautiful areas that have no phone accessibility (no signal)......doubt I will go satellite. Fishing slow or anchored out, like to peruse some boat info, which there seems to be lots of with 2 motors and todays electronics.:)

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I loaded all mine onto a one drive and can access them anytime as long as there is an internet access.