Marina choice

fshnfool

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I am looking for some opinions. I am considering purchasing my first boat. I will be keeping the boat in a slip in southern Jersey. I live about 2 hours away. Problem is some are giving advice that I won't be able to get to the boat enough to keep tabs on it. I will be able to get to the boat at least every other weekend. Is that enough? If it is are there things I should consider in the Marina, equipment, etc?

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
People who have never owned or boat, or who have trailered only, are concerned with leaving it unattended floating in a marina or worse on a mooring out in the open. And I'm not talking about theft or vandalism.

At first one may go daily to check up on it, but it won't be long before you come to realize the boat is at home in the water and you will no longer wake up at night wondering what's going on and has it floated away!

There are many out here who travel much further than you intend. Check with the marina, there will be issues like storms and the like where taking down the canvas or checking or doubling the lines is called for, in the worse case hauling the boat and securing landside, you want to select a marina that can do that, or a marina better sheltered, or one with flaoting docks vs. pilings or fixed dock, or find a buddy in the marina who resides local and can check up on your boat. Some marinas are located where they are very vulnerable to rough water from storms, can you leave the keys for them to haul or are you on your own ? - questions to ask of the owners. When secured and fendered up properly, boats do very well in the marina with high winds, it's rough water that can get them in serious trouble.

I always take care of my marina neighbors if I see something wrong, if I'm there.

Good luck!

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bob hit the nail on the head. I am in the same boat... I live in NY... 70mi from my marina in Connecticut. In the beginning I worried but now I am very comfortable leaving my boat for weeks and some times much longer. I do put extra lines on my boat for peace of mind and not having to worry when sudden severe summer thunderstorms roll through. Looking for a good marina is key so talk around before deciding but I know sometimes getting a slip in a good marina can be a multi-year wait and you have to take what is available. Some contributing factors to my comfort level include: 1) my marina is well protected with floating docks in excellent shape and the marina personnel are very watchfull over all the boats berthed there and they will notify me by phone even for something small like leaving a fishing rod out. They even have a guard on duty every night till dawn who will also walk the docks multi times every night and notify the marina owner of any little thing out of order. 2) my marina will send all of us an email or phone message if they are worried about the forecast and want to make sure we have taken additional measures to protect our boats, 3) my dock neighbors are also great and I know they will look after my boat if they are there and 4) I have a good friend who is also a Grady owner and lives less than 5mi from the marina and he can be there in 15min if I need him.

B-Faithful

Reaction score
have you considered a boatel? All Seasons Marina outside of Ocean City NJ offers them and I am sure there are others. I have never kept a boat in a boatel to know all the disadvantages. Maybe others can chime in with that. The only ones I know of are:

1. generally you have to wait for the boat to be splashed - still beats towing the boat 2 hours every time you want to use it.
2. You have to have a good forklift operator - need a trusty marina
3. Boats get really dirty on a rack -- but you have a clean bottom to run on

Good luck!

gw204

Reaction score
How big of a boat are you looking at? For me, that would make a huge difference in the decision I made.

If 22' or under and you have the truck to pull it easily, I would pull it back and forth. If 23' or over, paint the bottom and slip it. For me, boatel/rack storage would not be a consideration.

Tommyboy

Reaction score
There is alot to consider when choosing a marina ...
Location is a tricky one ... back in the 80's when I bought my 1st boat ..... I was an Ocean City NJ guy ...I wanted a marina that was as close to the inlet as possible so I could be out in the ocean quicker ...... Well I was close alright, .....but I also had constant ripping currents and wind and wakes from passing boats ....... IT WAS HORRIBLE ....... plus OC and Summers Point are notorious for getting hammered by storms ..my advise .... stay away, if OC is where you want to be try Blue Water Marina ..they are pretty protected where they are ......
Do some legwork .. visit the marina's on your list ... talk to the slip holders .......

Where do you plan on doing your boating?

fshnfool

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
update

First off. Thanks for all the responses. Some great info in a short time. I plan to do my boating in the Wildwood area. Right now focusing on a 226. I have considered trailering it but that would require a pickup. Which would be yet another purchase.

Tommyboy

Reaction score
Fshnfool .. My home port is Wildwood, it's a great area for boating/fishing ... offers alot of options .... depends on what kind of marina your looking for .. there are a ton of small marina's with no shop/fuel etc that are less $$ ... and then there are a few full service places that'll cost ya! ..... If you'd like/need more info on Marina's send me a PM ......

Tom

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
HDGWJOE, I'm about 100 miles one way, have neighbors in the marina up to about 170 miles. Thank goodness the car gets better mileage than the boat!

---------------------------
One weekend last fall there was a noreaster with gusts to about 60-70s, steady howling 40-50's. Couldn't walk upright.

I stayed all day into the night, I was a nervous wreck, the boat was fine w/o me. The wind and small white waves into the bow. Doubled the lines, canvas stayed up. The marina guys took care of the boats like adding more lines or tightening up on the ones in place but were loose, but I wanted to stay anyway. I'm sure some owners called to ask them to check the boat.
Another marina in sight had much bigger waves and the 35 footers were bouncing around like corks in the ocean, glad I wasn't in that marina.

First time and last time, I'll never stay around again, I was beatup from the all day stress, not the boat. Even the canvas stayed up just fine.

My policy is come Sept, I always leave the boat for the week with double lines and if any severe forecast, I take down the canvas and put up a mooring cover for the bridge area. Then try not to think of it. Insurance is for the rest.

My insurance policy has a partial payment for hauling it out if a certain storm cat is forecasted, I intend to use it and do it early and leave it up to the marina. Will have to leave the keys with them though, so early planning is critical, last minute calls - one may get boxed out!
It happened one year, I stayed in, one of the few who stayed in the water, all the other boats were up on the shore, the storm never materialized, not next time though.

Some marinas may have a policy to pull the boats anyway to protect the docks and damage to other boats from runaway boats.

DonLINY

Reaction score
I would also check on the service department. This is the last year I will be keeping my boat at my marina. I have been out of service now for three weeks for a water pump and I can't even get them to call me back. Last year at the end of the season I was out of service for 4 weeks waiting for them to change a fitting on my steering!! Lost most of the fall striper run
By the why I keep my boat at Matt-a-Mar marina in Mattuck NY on Long Island. If any one has a better recomendation for next year I would appriciate it. If I could get my money back I would move it this year!!

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Don so true, if I had to put up with marina mechanic quality and timeliness, I'd jump off the bridge. But it is boom or bust seasonality, never enough time to do all work or nothing much to do.

Especially on outboards. I can tell some stories, even in high priced marinas. Incl. charging for work only partially done.

There is always someone - you can find out - by word of mouth, ask other guys where they go, there may be a local guy working, so you get a kicker or trailer to bring over his place for a fix, or for maintenance you will meet him at a ramp he has trailer, then bring it back. It's none of the marinas business if you take it out for work, as long as the mechanic doesn't come into the marina. I've seen outside mechanics come into a marina, start the boat and take it away, then bring it back later. No one knew the better. I thought a neighbors boat was being stolen once so I went after the guy. He was taking the boat for an F225 Yamaha recall fix. I first asked him if he was the new owner.

Or some Yamahe dealers / Grady dealers have marinas too. Suffolk Marine has a Yamaha / bombardier dealer and top notch mechanic. Just steam the boat over, call first. And don't expect April or May friendliness, they have to take care of their own first.

Got to ask around other outboard boat owners. If you were further east, I can make a marina recommendation with top notch yamaha/Mercury guy, and honest too. Don't seem the two possible these days.

Good time to change marina plenty of slips opening up.

If I was not a DIYer, could not afford used boat maintenance / repair bill by these marina guys.

DonLINY

Reaction score
Finally heard back from my marina, Matt-a-Mar in Matituck LI, some screw up with the paper work now I'll have to wait another 2 weeks for my boat to be fixed. FIVE weeks for a simple water pump job. Stay away from this marina if you expect service or even a call back.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Dod, don't put up with that nonsense and loose 2 more weeks (or who knows if it turns out to be even more!). Changing a water pump is not a difficult job, and there is plenty of helpful advice here on the forum if you are not confident.

You can go to a local Yamaha dealer to order the pump, or better yet, call Andy at Shipyard Island Marine: http://www.shipyardisland.com/YamahaPartsOrder.htm

You will have the pump kit in 2 days, at a discounted price. You can be on the water before end of next week!