Marine cooler vs using fish box

zimm

Reaction score
I haven't started boating with my new-to-me 226 yet. I won't be fishing, but cruising with my wife our two little sons. The previous owner said he'd chuck an 8# ice bag in the fish box (under port rearward facing seat) and throw the drinks and lunches in there for the day. Sitting here at work daydreaming about the upcoming boat season, I'm imagining after a day on the water having to off-load sodas and waterbottles from the fish box to something to get them back in the house.

Why not get a marine igloo with a seat cushion and some chocks for it and make a side bench seat? Anyone done that? Thoughts? Only real negative besides spending $150 is drilling screw holes in my deck.

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I typically use a fishbox or livewell for drinks, etc when not fishing just to avoid having a cooler in the cockpit. However, I use a Igloo cooler for frozen bait that I bring aboard when offshore fishing. I put some stick-on rubber feet on this cooler and it does a pretty good job of keeping it from sliding all over the place.

zimm

Reaction score
Ha, my next question was if I got an Engel or Yeti ($$$$$$) that have rubber feet- if they actually stay in place without straps while underway- with and without someone sitting on it.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi Zimm;

Hope you enjoy the boat this year. I still marvel about how clean it is in your pics.

Anyway, I use the port fishbox, livewell, or whatever you call it for ice and drinks. (I don't fish, so it's always available.)

For short day trips, I bring a small cooler aboard for drinks for the day. As you mentioned, it's a pain to offload bottles and food leftover for a long trip back to the condo.
I like the fishbox for long overnite runs, because of the space a large cooler would take up, as mentioned above.

My son has a 17 Whaler that has the cooler forward that doubles as a seat with a cushion. That seems to work OK for him, but I like the fishbox..Plus, it seems to be pretty insulated. 3-4 bags of ice lasts all day.

altouchet

Reaction score
I've often debated whether to use one of my fish boxes on my 208 verses a cooler. For cruising I store my fenders in the port side fish box behind the seat. I've got cleaning supplies, a bucket, and a hose in the starboard side box. Not sure where I'd relocate any of those items if I used one of the fish boxes for a cooler.
I have a yeti with a seat cushion as a bench seat in the cockpit. Funny thing is...no one ever sits on it but me when we are at anchor or dockside! The yeti has really good feet that won't slide or mark the deck, so I have not found a need to tie it down. I guess it might move around in very rough conditions, but so far it has stayed right where I put it.

If you have a regular igloo, you can buy a matt that will help keep it from moving around.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We use these in several different sizes under coolers. In the area just behind the anchor locker, and in the cockpit. Never had a cooler slide when sitting on one of these.

Easy to scrub the fish blood out of them, and no odor lingers behind.

http://www.alltackle.com/cooler_mats.htm

Brian

Action_Jackson

Reaction score
I decided that I wanted a removable cooler without drilling into the deck. I got a 52 quart Igloo Marine cooler and bought some SS eye bolts which are going into the cooler permanently. I then got some heavy duty SS bimini top clasps which I am screwing on the front of the motor splashwell (above the teak trim piece in the pic, not my boat but same model 190 tournament). All I need to do is remove the screws and the cooler come out quickly and the clasps fold flat so there is minimal intrusion when not in use. This way I have an extra seat and an easy access cooler. Not sure if this will work in your boat depends on the layout but I am sure you could do something similar.

coolerinstall_zpsc59a6e85.jpg

Vic H

Reaction score
When cruising with just a few people, I use a 6-pack cooler and put it inside the fish box. That way it doesn't slide around and is out of the way. For larger groups, the fish box, live well and bow coolers work great. Frozen bait or chum stays in an old playmate cooler designated just for that purpose.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I do a little of both. I glued rubber mat material to the bottom of an Igloo Marine 94. I got the padded top. The cushions work good for a few years then need to be replaced as the fabric isnt the best and the straps rip off. I just can't bring myself to buy one of the high end coolers. If I was out on the water for days, I'd buy a Frigidrigid or Engel but I am not out overnight much at all. This gives me an extra seat in the cockpit when needed.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
On my 265 I have a large cooler with cushion on top that doubles as a seat in the cockpit. It usually stays put against the folding transom door. I have used bath mats which will help keep it from sliding around. This is also my primary fish box. I will sometimes bring a smaller bait cooler along too. I use the main fish box primarly as storage for fenders, buckets with cleaning supplies etc. My boat also has a live well which can double as a cooler. If it is a non fishing day at the islands or booze cruise I usually just fill the livewell with ice and drinks b/c cooler tends to be a popular seat on these trips. I also have the benefit of having a fridge on the boat so that is where the food and some drinks go.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Depending upon type of trip...offshore run or cruising, I use cooler in cockpit on grip pad or store in one of the boxes. To get the drinks off/on the boat from fridge, just put them in a 5 gal bucket and makes easy transport back and forth.

The cooler never slides when full of ice/drinks and lunch when sitting on the grip mats.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
When I'm fishing only 2 people in my 226 and not planning to catch anything too long, we'll often use a 72 quart Igloo instead of the fish box. However, if the cooler is loaded with ice, bait, and fish, it makes by boat run bow high if I have more than 3/4 of a tank of gas. The cooler rides up against the stern splash well.

It's not a big issue, but it can be a bit annoying when running into a head sea. I need to tab down for a good ride and that burns more fuel.

GulfSea

Reaction score
I have a 105 qt yeti cooler sitting in the middle of the deck that doubles as a great seat, table and even a standing platform when cast netting for bait. All drinks, food, clean items go in the yeti and fish in the starboard fish box. The port side boxes are both used for storage. The yeti has been sitting on deck with rubber feet only and no restraints for nearly 3 years and has never moved the slightest bit. I cannot envision a better set up; everyone loves the seating and accessibility to drinks, etc..

Lucky13

Reaction score
drbatts said:
On my 265 I have a large cooler with cushion on top that doubles as a seat in the cockpit. It usually stays put against the folding transom door. I have used bath mats which will help keep it from sliding around. This is also my primary fish box. I will sometimes bring a smaller bait cooler along too. I use the main fish box primarly as storage for fenders, buckets with cleaning supplies etc. My boat also has a live well which can double as a cooler. If it is a non fishing day at the islands or booze cruise I usually just fill the livewell with ice and drinks b/c cooler tends to be a popular seat on these trips. I also have the benefit of having a fridge on the boat so that is where the food and some drinks go.

do you have a gen to keep the fridge going or do you just run it at the dock and it stays cold for a while? If this is your method how long does it stay cold if you run it at teh dock while on shore power?

Winged Pig

Reaction score
I also usually use the fridge for drinks on my 272, but I have used a fish box filled with ice for sodas and kids drinks when I thought we needed more room, or had the fridge space taken up with food. Never had a problem with any of the built in boxes holding ice. My fridge is DC powered and as best as I can figure it uses between 3 and 5 amps when running, and it stays on all the time while in the slip.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Lucky13 said:
drbatts said:

do you have a gen to keep the fridge going or do you just run it at the dock and it stays cold for a while? If this is your method how long does it stay cold if you run it at teh dock while on shore power?

I leave the boat plugged in at the dock on shore power. This keeps the fridge nice and cold. Unless we are overnighting, I will leave the fridge on. I almost never shut it off. Never had a problem with it draining the battery. Will stay cold all day, especially if it is well stocked. Most trips i'm running the engines which help keep the battery charged.