Marine Paint Question for Engine Bracket

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Only one way to find out!! o_O

Yes sir, I'll let you know, unfortunately it will be about a month before I try her out.

KY, do you know how our brackets are built? Specifically are the transom bolts that come out of bracket attached to the bracket? Meaning if I remove a nut from the inside transom side (boat side) will the bolt spin or is it somehow attached?

Thanks.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yes sir, I'll let you know, unfortunately it will be about a month before I try her out.

KY, do you know how our brackets are built? Specifically are the transom bolts that come out of bracket attached to the bracket? Meaning if I remove a nut from the inside transom side (boat side) will the bolt spin or is it somehow attached?

Thanks.

Looking at this pic, I'm saying it will spin if the adhesive breaks loose from the bedding.
14460.jpeg

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Correct,

I detached both my engine and bracket 5 years back to re seal the transom and bracket. The bolts were only held in by the adhesive used to bed them. A light tap with a hammer on the outside of the transom and they were free to remove.

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Oh mine looks different from that pic. I have nuts on the inside. I was hoping to spin 2 lower nuts off and put a backing plate underneath the nuts. Your saying that the bolt and nut may spin then I'll be SOL because the sealing will be done with then I'll have to remove the bracket and engine....

If the above is true, I better not touch it this year if I want to use it this summer.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Drifter,

I have nuts on the inside also (that does not sound right LOL), and there are 2 backing plates on mine inside the transom. Not sure if it came that way or PO added them.

When I reattached I slowly torqued the nuts like I would do to a car tire, and added loctite red for peace of mind.

It's only funny till your cruising along and the engine decides its divorcing the transom ;)

I'll be up where my boat is stored tomorrow installing new electronics panel, I will get some pics for ya then.

Lee

PNW_Drifter

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Drifter,

I have nuts on the inside also (that does not sound right LOL), and there are 2 backing plates on mine inside the transom. Not sure if it came that way or PO added them.

When I reattached I slowly torqued the nuts like I would do to a car tire, and added loctite red for peace of mind.

It's only funny till your cruising along and the engine decides its divorcing the transom ;)

I'll be up where my boat is stored tomorrow installing new electronics panel, I will get some pics for ya then.

Lee

cool, I ask because my lowest starboard nut is slightly denting in the transom, like it's softer there and it's crushing it. I didn't notice it until I scrubbed the area... Probably not a deal breaker this year but maybe next winter I'll put a backing plate on.

Lee, When you reinstalled bracket , did you need an 2nd person to hold the bolts still inside bracket?

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
No need to for my job, but I just realized by looking back at your pictures that your engine bracket is attached differently than mine.

I have bolts on the outside flange of my Springfield bracket, so by using vice grips on one side and a socket wrench and crescent wrench I was able to reinstall by myself fairly easily.
Can't tell 100% from your pictures, but I am guessing you will need 2 people for your job.

Sorry not more helpful Drifter! Maybe someone else can shed some light??
20200110_161341.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PNW_Drifter

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Worth a shot, but doubtful. Unless the bolts are bedded really well and stuck tight, you'll probably spin. Sorry, just my feeling.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Worth a shot, but doubtful. Unless the bolts are bedded really well and stuck tight, you'll probably spin. Sorry, just my feeling.
Thinking the same. Give it a shot - or look at the other end of the bolts through the access plate in the bracket? That should give you the answer real quick. Not sure if someone's going to have long enough arms to get to the bolt heads - so probably will just need an extension for a socket - maybe a universal joint.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Drifter,
I couldn't get any usable pictures for you unless I yank out my livewell. I was hoping I could get some from under the rear jump seats. Sorry man.
Your pictures show what you will want to do if and when you decide. Good luck buddy!

Last edited: