Marine Survey Findings

Couchie84

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I am about to pull the trigger on a 1984 (197 Tournament). Not many inboards around and it is in excellent condition. It’s been 20+ years since I have been on the water (maybe that’s why this boat appeals to me so much).

the marine survey came back generally positive. With the exception of the transom/bulkheads. Both soundings were dull and readings moderate. Attached section relating to the hull.

I refurbished 4.3 Merc was dropped in about 7 years ago. Had the cylinders pressure tested and they came back 145-150 range. Only real concerns is the transom and bulkheads.
From what I have gathered from some local boat builders/fibreglass shops the cost to replace would be around $15k CDN (they all recommended replacing stringers, bulkheads, and transom. Some said it is almost not worth it, because it is hard to predict what other problems you might encounter in the process.

I love the boat but need some rationale opinions of folks who know these bots well.
Thanks for your thoughts B3C70835-5AA1-4BC5-8C07-9E161F4927BC.jpeg

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
There are too many boats in the world to buy a boat with problems, especially water intrusion problems, unless you're looking for a big project.

I'd rather have a dry Robalo or Sea Hunt than a wet Grady.

Reactions: Couchie84