Marine Surveyor

Capetime

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Hello Everyone. Looking for recommendations for Marine Surveyor in the New Haven, CT area. Looking at moving up to Freedom 325. Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks,

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I can't help you out specifically with a marine surveyor in CT as I don't live there but I've used these two websites in the past when trying to find a marine surveyor when I was doing an out of state purchase. I've used a total of two different marine surveyors in the past, both of which were pretty good, though I think just about any accredited marine surveyor will probably be pretty decent. I'd use the sites linked below and then do a Google search on the surveyor to see if they have reviews or are mentioned on this site or others. Also, check with them on the phone first, ask them any questions you have or about the concerns you might have with the purchase. I'm not sure about right now, or the CT area, but I called up a few marine surveyors in the Maryland area a couple weeks ago and most of them were still 2-3 weeks out. Before that, I called up several in New York as well as Florida and it was the same thing, 2-3 weeks out. So keep that in mind when calling as it's still boating season for a good deal of people. I just purchased a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer last week out in Maryland and it was the first boat that I hadn't had surveyed. That being said, it was being sold from a fairly reputable dealer and I had another member on here come look at the boat with me that knows a good deal about GW's. If you don't have the time for a surveyor, maybe a forum member or buddy of yours could come look at the boat with you? Good luck!

Reactions: Capetime

Capetime

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I can't help you out specifically with a marine surveyor in CT as I don't live there but I've used these two websites in the past when trying to find a marine surveyor when I was doing an out of state purchase. I've used a total of two different marine surveyors in the past, both of which were pretty good, though I think just about any accredited marine surveyor will probably be pretty decent. I'd use the sites linked below and then do a Google search on the surveyor to see if they have reviews or are mentioned on this site or others. Also, check with them on the phone first, ask them any questions you have or about the concerns you might have with the purchase. I'm not sure about right now, or the CT area, but I called up a few marine surveyors in the Maryland area a couple weeks ago and most of them were still 2-3 weeks out. Before that, I called up several in New York as well as Florida and it was the same thing, 2-3 weeks out. So keep that in mind when calling as it's still boating season for a good deal of people. I just purchased a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer last week out in Maryland and it was the first boat that I hadn't had surveyed. That being said, it was being sold from a fairly reputable dealer and I had another member on here come look at the boat with me that knows a good deal about GW's. If you don't have the time for a surveyor, maybe a forum member or buddy of yours could come look at the boat with you? Good luck!

Great information and I appreciate the thoroughness of your reply. I also purchased my current boat 2017 Fisherman in Alabama without a surveyor and all worked out great. Again, thanks for the information. My Best,

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Great information and I appreciate the thoroughness of your reply. I also purchased my current boat 2017 Fisherman in Alabama without a surveyor and all worked out great. Again, thanks for the information. My Best,
No worries. If you know a thing or two about boats then it seems like a good deal of inspecting it is self explanatory. For me personally, this is the first Grady White I've owned and I didn't know a ton about them or what to look for, other than what I'd read on here. The previous two boats that I'd owned were a brand called Arima, and they were fairly straightforward in terms of what to look for when inspecting them. With my 228 having the transom bracket and all boat manufacturers having their own little "quirks" in regards to building/design and so on, it's always nice to have another opinion or second set of eyes to look over the boat as well. Italian Angler on the forums here came out and looked at my boat with me and was very informative on what to look for and so forth. It was definitely much better peace of mind having another person reaffirm what you're thinking as well in regards to the condition of the boat and that it's a good deal or good purchase. Your boat being a 2017 and only 4 years old I'm sure meant that it was still in great shape... that being said, my boat is a 2004 model year and almost 20 years old. Of which I hear they can have spongy floors, issues with water intrusion into the transom bracket and other manufacture/model "quirks" as mentioned above.

The previous couple of boats that I had been interested in purchasing... one was being sold by a dealer on consignment for a customer of which the motor had multiple overheating and other alarms. They said they were going to give the boat back to the seller as multiple things like trim tabs and so forth didn't work on the boat and sounded like a can of worms. The second boat I actually agreed on a price with the seller over the phone contingent upon a favorable survey/inspection and had a surveyor go out to look over the boat. He sent me some pictures of the boat, which had damage to part of the structure that of course the private party seller didn't mention. I paid the surveyor just under $700 to go out and look at it but am very glad that I did as I didn't want a can of worms and headaches after purchasing something like that. The third and most recent, the private party seller gave a sob story about his alcoholic brother that lost his job and was the reason for selling the boat after owning it for only 6-7 months. I asked him about the Yamaha 225 it had on it and if the motor had been scoped or had the exhaust corrosion issue looked into. He said no, then the next day he said his mechanic looked into it and then said yes, it was now an issue. I like to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but it sounded like he figured out there was a problem with the motor, didn't want to put any more money into the boat and then pawned it off onto someone else. Long story short, it seems like all boat/engine manufacturers have their own "quirks" or things to specifically look at to see what you're really getting yourself into. Good luck with selling your boat and getting the one you really want.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

The gentleman with the beard at the following link surveyed a 40 Carver for my brother a few years back. I was present for the survey and sea-trial.

I feel that he did a good job, as did my brother. Both my brother and I have been boating for 40+ years.

Capetime

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Hi,

The gentleman with the beard at the following link surveyed a 40 Carver for my brother a few years back. I was present for the survey and sea-trial.

I feel that he did a good job, as did my brother. Both my brother and I have been boating for 40+ years.

Thank you for the information

seasick

Reaction score
Reference are good if you can get them. You can ask perspective surveyors for references. When a reference comes from the seller, a broker, or marina that is representing the vessel for sale, I urge caution. Same for mechanical motor inspections. There is the potential for a conflict of interest.
Also note that an oral report without a followup written report is no report at all.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Sloose

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I would also not hesitate to reach out to your local marina and / or TowboatUS / Seatow guys. I used to tow for TowboatUS Philadelphia, and I was recently purchasing a boat in Maryland - i reached out through the "network" to the local towboat guys and they recommended a surveyor for me. That guy was FANTASTIC as a surveyor. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend him or use him again. His recommendations and findings, as well as real market valuation of the vessel helped me properly adjust the price with the seller. I will NEVER not survey a boat. The $800 i spent on the survey saved me 10k.

TL; DR: the local towboat/seatow guys are always buying and selling boats and moving boats. They know who is good and who isnt.