Marine Tex

exudedude

Reaction score
I have alot of very small chips in my gelcoat. I was going to touch up with the Marine-Tex. My hull is very faded so would the white be a closer match or the light tan color.
Also when I go to sand it down what grit paper. When it's all done I will compound the entire boat.

Thanks

seasick

Reaction score
I would use a gel coat kit instead. Marinetex may not adhere well for small chips. It is hard to sand and the color wont match well

Color matching is an art. You can get kits with various tints and mix your own color. Try sample mixtures first and also pick a spot on your hull to clean and compound first to see what the final color will be that you want to match

richie rich

Reaction score
Marine Tex is also an epoxy and won't stand up to UV rays...it will yellow and degrade without painting or gel-coating over. If its just gel-coat chips, not any damage to the glass, use the gel-coat repair kits.....clean the surface first with solvent recommended by the gelcoat manufacturer, dremel out the chip with a small bit ......nice wide V shape....if shallow just use 80-120 grit paper...clean again and apply new gelcoat accordingly.....I like using a layer of plastic over the gel-coat to help cure smooth....you can then fine sand and compound out to blend in if needed.