marlin 28 & 30

muqdam

Reaction score
Hello, Since 1995 marlin change the model to 30-marlin and when you compare the models (1989-1994) it assume the same length aver all 32 7“ , can any one tell me why they rename 30 is it center line length or what , thank you

jehines3

Reaction score
It must be centerline length since the only difference is mine has a notched running surface where the 300's have a continuous centerline all the way to the transom. I would think the 280 offers better ventilation like most sport boats today with the notched section to increase ventilation and get air under the hull. The 300's would offer more displacement and better ability to hold any major equipment in the rear (generator, four strokes, etc.)

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Like several other GW models, the Marlin was renamed when the hull was extended under the bracket. The centerline length is actually 30-6.

GW historically listed their model sizes on the low end but size inflation has forced all builders to be competitive so model lengths are typically rounded up these days. For example the Albemarle 27 was rebadged the 28 back in the late 90s while the hull id not change whatsoever.

Most GW hulls have a centerline length at or greater then their model length. The 265 is one exception as the CL is a tad under 26'. Hopefully GW will not follow the trend where some builders include the bow pulpit in the LOA. The bottom line is that you must compare specs and read how the specs are stated to get an accurate comparison.

Weight is another important spec especially for performance in choppy seas. GW has always understated their weight and also does not include engines so this must be taken into account for comparison. The original Marlin was listed at 7000 but is now at 8200 and change after re-weighing since many changes have been made.

Our new lift weighed mine fully loaded last weekend at close to 12.5K.