Marlin 30 bow thruster

Graybeard

Reaction score
We just bought a 2003 Marlin 30 and it’s my first big boat with twin engines. Backing in and getting out of the slip for our Freedom 225 has always been a chore......especially getting out in the narrow channel between docks. Of course my wife ramps up the stress level making it more difficult then it needs to be. She now insists I need a bow thruster or I’ll damage our boat, someone eles’s boat or the dock. It’s a $10k install and I think it’s only a nice to have and not a need to have. Anyone have any experience with adding an aftermarket bow thruster?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
First, for the want -
I had a bow thruster installed after I bought my used Marlin 3 years ago. Joe Molinaro at East Coast Bow Thruster installs Vetus thrusters and he and his team did a great job for several thousand less than what you mentioned. I had the Vetus BOW55 installed although Joe said the BOW45 would have been sufficient.

Now, for the need -
I'll admit having a bow thruster is nice. I use it when I need it but try not to rely on it. Many a day I'll make a conscious decision to NOT use it so I keep my skills sharp. You can, and should, learn to maneuver your boat without one. Having twins is a really nice thing. Many people do fine without a thruster and you can too. Practice, practice and more practice.

Last, for the nice-
On days when the wind is honking from from a troubling direction, a bump from the thruster can make things much easier. If I can, I will test it BEFORE I use intend to use it so I know it's working. You never know.... It can be helpful getting off the dock as much as on. For example, my boat is slipped east/west, facing west (close enough) tied starboard side. When the wind is blowing from the NNW/North/NNE, I know getting out of my slip will be a challenge before clipping my neighbors' boat on my port and getting my bow around to the right so I can head out. A bump or two as I'm pulling out, done, no worries. The alternative would have to be to turn to port, clear my neighbor and back out to the main road. Just sayin' there are alternatives. On days the wind is honking from the south, I'll back down my street from the main road so I have my stern to the wind. Much more control that way!

So, do you need it? NO
Is it nice to have? YES
Is it the answer to all your docking troubles? NO!!! You still need to learn the art of twins.
Is you wife giving you the OK to spend money on your boat? :dance

handinpalm

Reaction score
I have to agree, you probably don't need a thruster w/ twins. If you decide on one and live in the Southeast / Florida, you should go with Florida Bow Thrusters and probably select Vetus. I have one on my 228 Seafarer (came with it) and makes it nice in tight areas. I was hesitant about buying a smaller boat w/ one of these, since it looks like a big hole in the bow. I was happy when I found out FL Bow Thrusters did the job.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have a bow thruster on my express. Its a nice feature to have. That being said I probably use it ~ 10% of the time. When I first got the boat I used it more often as it was a new toy, and I had to get used to the bigger boat. With twins I can usually back the boat in with just using engines. I will use the thruster for a little bump if I think I'm getting a little too close to the neighbors boat. I know its there if I need it, but usually get along fine without it. It is nice though in windy situations to help spin off the dock.

I have heard good things about east coast bow thrusters too.

Graybeard

Reaction score
All good stuff guys, thanks. The GW dealer I do business with told me to call Florida Bow Thruster and I did. They called me back today with the details of what’s involved. They said $9.2k and I’d have to pay the dealer to pull and block the boat. They also said I’d use it every time I’m on the boat. I got the feeling he’s probably right. I’m also wondering if the thruster would be cheap insurance because I can see me getting in trouble. But $10k is $10k and I should be able to get in and out of my slip using the twin engines. But........

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So I've been boating with a larger twin outboard for 12 years: a 28' Boston Whaler until 3 years ago and now a 330 express. My whaler did not have a thruster and even though I got good (as necessity required) and getting in and out of my slip without it, I now really regret NOT adding one way back when! '

My slip is pretty horrible to back into when the wind blows from the North without the thruster, and of course once I got my Grady with the thruster it was a piece of cake. But what I now realize is that when I had my whaler, I'd really stress out about the wind speed and directions, especially if I was taking guests out. Basically I'd spend the days before a trip unconsciously worrying about how I'd deal with things if the wind was going to shift North or pick up beyond 10kts etc...

So for me, just having it in case I need it is absolutely worth it. I'd NEVER own a 30ish foot outboard boat again without one. So my advice is spend the $$: well worth it, even if you only use it once in a blue moon. It's your get out of jail free card when something is going badly... And my wife has noticed the difference big time -- she used to sorta hate going out with me because I'd start yelling at everyone when we were docking. Now I don't even interrupt the conversation and she's come to expect to step off the boat as it nestles gently against the fenders! :)

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
My Marlin came with one. I use if prob 50% of the time. Nice to have but if I could have bought the boat without it, I would have and kept the jing. I think you should let some time pass with the boat as is and see if you feel more comfortable with it. Dock it over and over and then learn to spin it on center. Once you get confidence you'll be glad you have the $10K in your wallet.

Bumpye

Reaction score
Have a friend who installed one on his Gulfstream, single OB, this past Fall. He has been boating for years, charter captain, and he couldn't wait to get one. It's on my bucket list for my Gulfstream. Northeast bow thruster did the work. Very professional and they charged him $1000 less than quoted because it didn't take as long.

MA208

Reaction score
When i looked at Marlins last year I decided I needed one or priced it into ones without. 9k quote. For solo handling I think its invaluable. Its a lot of boat and a lot of mass. Also very high and catches the wind. I am still learning and my prevailing wind blows me off the dock. With the thruster I can put the stern corner on the dock, give a quick hit of thruster and line up then back in. Maybe someday I will be able to spin with just the motors better, but when the wind is howling it can get hairy quick.

Aftermarket with a separate battery is probably a better setup than factory. They consume a LOT of power. Really only meant for very short term operations.

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I have a 2003 marlin. I went to the Miami boat show in 2017 and purchased a bowthruster from Florida Bow Thrusters. They came to my marina in Panama City FL and installed it. It looks better than factory and is the best addition I have ever made to my boat for under $10k. It made docking in heavy wind a breeze. You will love it. Don't listen to the naysayers!

bgoldstein

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 225
New to the forum, and relatively new to recreational boat ownership and Grady Whites (4th season, Freedom 225)...I have to laugh at Graybeard's post cause my situation is almost identical, down to every detail. I have a crappy slip location and when the wind is blowing form the East (often) it is really hard to maneuver in my narrow channel, and last year had two closer than for comfort calls. No damage to someone else's boat but a bit to mine. Just started investigating thrusters and came across Sideshift...seems like a reasonable less expensive alternative. Anyone have any experience to share??

Sparkdog118

Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Bow thrusters are great. I like to make the boat go dead sideways when you put port motor in forward and the other in reverse. Then bump the thruster to the left. Do the opposite to slide right. You can slip in sideways with a few feet of clearance.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
My Marlin came with one. It was a determining factor along with late model trailer and autopilot when I bought the boat. I'm pretty experienced and dock in heavy current and wind regularly. The bow wants to blow down wind in a hurry on the Marlin so its very handy. On many days I don't need to touch it. I'd suspect when it comes time to sell the thruster will add a great deal of value to the package.

However, if you were having difficulty with the 225, my advice would be to practice. Go out on a quiet morning ALONE and practice pulling in and out slips.

Last edited:

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I purchased a bow thruster from Florida Bow Thrusters (Tom Gillikin) at the Miami Boat show in 2016 for $8500 installed. They sent a crew to my Marina in Panama City FL. It was the best boating decision I ever made. I never dread docking in a tight spot on a windy day. Yes, I CAN use the twins, but boating should be fun and not stressful. My boat is a 2003 Marlin and it looks better than factory installed.