Marlin 30 owners

eppem

Reaction score
Would love to hear any fellow Great Grady members experience(s) with regard the 30 Marlin? Looking to move up from a 265 express that we love but we are looking for more room, etc. Will be posting in the classified section soon as I’m most interested in the 2012 or. 2013 model year. Appreciate any and all feedback! Thanks!!

EPPE

BtB

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
We took delivery of our 1st born and the Marlin on the same month in 2004. IMO we have kept the boat up as best we could through the years. Replaced the blue curtains and plastic once for the newer white and bolsters too. People think its a much newer boat.
Powered by the rare 2004 Yamaha, 2 stroke, 300 HPDI (2 production years as I can tell). Still running strong (knock on wood).
Raymarine C80 set up. Just replaced, one display with a used unit.
As mentioned 1st born ready to take out, on his own with buddies. Shiftier cables were in rough shape. Did not want him to venture out if he was not sure if in gear. Replaced this spring. Like new, let me know if you need tips.
Rear fish box hatch in tough shape. Looking to take on this glass job. Info welcome.

To answer post question, we upgraded from a 24 Offshore Pro. The Marlin is an incredibly stable platform. Other boat owners step aboard and are always impressed how the boat doesn't budge. We have seen some dicey seas (relatively, who hasn't) as we like to travel and the Marlin has always come thru.

I have a lot of gear at the dock. I am constantly changing the Marlin from a family 3-4 day trip to a bluefin trip with buddies.

If that is your game the Marlin is a good choice.

Reactions: eppem

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have had 5 boats, 3 Gradys in a row, the most recent a 2007 Marlin. Best boat by far that I have ever owned. Great fishing, great cruising, and the Admiral loves it too.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
eppem;

2018 300 Marlin here. Went up from a 232 Gulfstream.

Great, versatile rig. We're not interested in fishing so it is used for cruising, overnighting at marinas, anchoring, beaching, etc.

It's been in the line a long time and that's important. Grady has worked out all the bugs and it is balanced, handles well and is totally "in tune" with itself. You don't have to baby sit the boat with lots of tab adjustment unless; 1.) Your 280 lb buddy is on the port side along with a full cooler, 2.) You have a quartering wind on the bow, or, 3.) It's rough and you have to lower the nose.

Cabin is great. My sig other and I cook in there, sleep comfortably in the mid berth and it's a big deal to hook up the cable option when we're at a marina that has the hookup option for it dockside. TV aboard is really cool for us; on my earlier boats, we slept in sleeping bags with canvas tops for protection. The Marlin is the Marriott in comparison.

It will be comfortable in seas 2 feet and below. Anything over that powered by 15kt+ winds is safe, but sloppy. Level of comfort will vary from captain-to-captain so I won't debate it here. For us, it's 2 footers and below or we stay in. (Yes, I know long-period swells sprung from distant storms at sea are an exception, but localized wind chop over 2 footers makes for a rough ride and that's what we have in the Gulf off Fla.)

350's are the perfect power for that hull, although, if your looking at an earlier model, that may not be an option. We have the 350's and they are incredible. Cruise numbers are spectacular:

3700-3900 RPM 33-35MPH at 1.3-1.4 MPG.
4000-4200 RPM 36-39 MPH at 1.2-1.3 MPG (High Cruise.)

I don't rev them that high, but 4400-4500 RPM will push it over 40 MPH with ease at 1.2 MPG. I have never cracked the throttles, but I've had it up to 48MPH at 5000-5100 RPM and she's rock solid. I know it'll blow right past 50 MPH. On the other end of the spectrum, I have bumped it off 1.5 MPG with 1/2 fuel load or lower when I have to run at 25 MPH thru Manatee Zones in the ICW.

Obviously, these numbers are achieved in reasonably calm conditions. V8's Baby...

I trailered it to Michigan last summer and while everything went well, I wouldn't do it again. It's a hassle getting permits, stringing "Wide Load" signs on it and putting up red flags & flashing lights. You have to watch out for low bridges, overhanging tree limbs and are legal in daytime only. Bottom line, it IS trailer-able with the right truck, a tri-axle trailer equipped with Electric Over Hydraulic brakes and three 7000 lb axles.

Marvelous rig. We dig ours.

teaklejr

Reaction score
eppem;

2018 300 Marlin here. Went up from a 232 Gulfstream.

Great, versatile rig. We're not interested in fishing so it is used for cruising, overnighting at marinas, anchoring, beaching, etc.

It's been in the line a long time and that's important. Grady has worked out all the bugs and it is balanced, handles well and is totally "in tune" with itself. You don't have to baby sit the boat with lots of tab adjustment unless; 1.) Your 280 lb buddy is on the port side along with a full cooler, 2.) You have a quartering wind on the bow, or, 3.) It's rough and you have to lower the nose.

Cabin is great. My sig other and I cook in there, sleep comfortably in the mid berth and it's a big deal to hook up the cable option when we're at a marina that has the hookup option for it dockside. TV aboard is really cool for us; on my earlier boats, we slept in sleeping bags with canvas tops for protection. The Marlin is the Marriott in comparison.

It will be comfortable in seas 2 feet and below. Anything over that powered by 15kt+ winds is safe, but sloppy. Level of comfort will vary from captain-to-captain so I won't debate it here. For us, it's 2 footers and below or we stay in. (Yes, I know long-period swells sprung from distant storms at sea are an exception, but localized wind chop over 2 footers makes for a rough ride and that's what we have in the Gulf off Fla.)

350's are the perfect power for that hull, although, if your looking at an earlier model, that may not be an option. We have the 350's and they are incredible. Cruise numbers are spectacular:

3700-3900 RPM 33-35MPH at 1.3-1.4 MPG.
4000-4200 RPM 36-39 MPH at 1.2-1.3 MPG (High Cruise.)

I don't rev them that high, but 4400-4500 RPM will push it over 40 MPH with ease at 1.2 MPG. I have never cracked the throttles, but I've had it up to 48MPH at 5000-5100 RPM and she's rock solid. I know it'll blow right past 50 MPH. On the other end of the spectrum, I have bumped it off 1.5 MPG with 1/2 fuel load or lower when I have to run at 25 MPH thru Manatee Zones in the ICW.

Obviously, these numbers are achieved in reasonably calm conditions. V8's Baby...

I trailered it to Michigan last summer and while everything went well, I wouldn't do it again. It's a hassle getting permits, stringing "Wide Load" signs on it and putting up red flags & flashing lights. You have to watch out for low bridges, overhanging tree limbs and are legal in daytime only. Bottom line, it IS trailer-able with the right truck, a tri-axle trailer equipped with Electric Over Hydraulic brakes and three 7000 lb axles.

Marvelous rig. We dig ours.

So is the preferred area to sleep the aft cabin? Looks like you would be able to stretch out more there than converting the table to the berth. Keep wanting to upgrade our 1997 Tigercat just can never seem to pull the trigger.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
teaklejr;

Yes, the aft cabin, or mid-berth is the area of choice for sleeping. As you mentioned, you can drop the table and convert the forward V-berth section, but there's more room in the aft berth. The ceilings a tad low, but not so much to make you claustrophobic. Grady even put a reading light down there...Perfect.

TortugaBob

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
EPPEM,

I am a relatively new 300 owner, purchased a 2005 last year, great shape, low hour 250s, new GenSet. I fish primarily and like the simple yet useful amenities. Founds this forum when searching and someone on here encouraged me to move up my budget from Sailfish 280, said the extra room was in all the right places. I only wish I had gone to a 33 Express now, hah. But, it is great size, big enough yet can trailer if needed. Walk around is nice for fishing. As MagicalBill said, we stay under 3 footers when going out 30-40 miles, no fun in Gulf in any boat otherwise. But, I have always felt safe in GW and the 300 is a tank. All the Best! Should be some deals out there.

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
We moved into our 2004 Marlin about 1.5 years ago from a 2005 2320 Parker we owned for almost 15 years. We moved into the Marlin because we wanted more space for the family and more hull for offshore. I second what everybody has said above. I believe every boat to be a sum of compromises, and the Marlin has been the best blend of any boat we have owned. I have to be honest, there were a few weeks this spring I thought about selling her when I became frustrated with some of the normal issues that accompany a used vessel. However, now that I have rectified those issues, we have been in the boat every weekend since March (we live in the Florida Keys) and I will either be doing a re-power/updating in the next year or so, or moving into a newer Marlin.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have said it before, but I want to give my shout-out to Island Pilot for his and Dennis's help and guidance in getting our Marlin ready for the aforementioned trailer trip to Michigan. It was a big undertaking and they were very helpful in answering questions and paving the way.

eppem: if you do get the Marlin and want to jerk it around, this is the guy that can help. You now have to let us know what the outcome is and what Marlin you may choose.

jigstrike

Reaction score
Mine is a 1998 Marlin. I bought her in 2015. It was in my budget, and had 40 hours on the new Yami 250's!!
Great boat!! I get about 1 mpg, with full fuel, 3-4 guys, a full 60 gl. bait tank, and all our gear. I usually cruise at about 18-20 kt.
Find one and enjoy!!

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I have a 2007 and enjoy the Marlin. It takes the wind waves in stride. I've fished in water that I didn't like but the boat was never unsafe.

I spend a few nights in the cuddy for back to back fishing trips. I stopped sleeping in the mid-Berth due to my back issues.

I tow the boat twice a year using a 1 ton truck and have the E/H brakes. Only way to go with a boat of this size. It tows great.

Good luck in your search. I'm selling mine next spring to downsize. I fish alone often and do not need the space. I'll miss not having all the gear on board, but I'll not miss the TV. Under used option.

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have said it before, but I want to give my shout-out to Island Pilot for his and Dennis's help and guidance in getting our Marlin ready for the aforementioned trailer trip to Michigan. It was a big undertaking and they were very helpful in answering questions and paving the way.

eppem: if you do get the Marlin and want to jerk it around, this is the guy that can help. You now have to let us know what the outcome is and what Marlin you may choose.
Thanks for the accolades! I want to pick your brain one of these years about your trip to the great lakes. I think that may be on our bucket list. It sounded epic!

Island Pilot

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Guys, quick question for you all. What year did the Marlin transom become rated for 700 hp? Along the same lines, what year did the windshield get raised above the 2004 level? I think the answer is 2008, but not sure. I got the bug again and weighing doing some major updating on our boat after the apocalypse ends (I am an airline pilot and need to make sure I have a job), or just getting into a newer rig.

Reactions: ECO

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the accolades! I want to pick your brain one of these years about your trip to the great lakes. I think that may be on our bucket list. It sounded epic!
Anytime. It worked out well and I'd be happy to chat about it. Let me know...

MA208

Reaction score
Guys, quick question for you all. What year did the Marlin transom become rated for 700 hp? Along the same lines, what year did the windshield get raised above the 2004 level? I think the answer is 2008, but not sure. I got the bug again and weighing doing some major updating on our boat after the apocalypse ends (I am an airline pilot and need to make sure I have a job), or just getting into a newer rig.
2006 on the windshield. Not sure about the 700 hp.

Reactions: Island Pilot

Gary M

Reaction score
We have done many, many stay-aboard trips to the Bahamas on our 2001 Marlin. Two, were 18 nights! We have found that the mid-berth is fantastic storage as well as below that deck.

We prefer to set up the big V-Berth as our bed. This allows either of us to get up and not have to crawl over the other and to crawl out onto the deck on our hands and knees.

We custom cut a foam bed pad, then had an old comforter, also custom cut to fit the V-Berth. That then goes on top of the foam pad, then a bottom sheet, a top sheet, a comforter, our home bed pillows. Result? We often get up at the crack of noon!

You'll love the boat!

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305

Fishtales

Reaction score
I think it is the perfect boat for day trips, cruising and family fishing. High gunnels like most GWs, great for safety and kids. Smaller cabin yes, but you have the quick access to the bow area. V birth fine for 2 adults, mid berth would be tight. Best for single adult or two kids. When not in use, for sleeping it is a perfect spot for your clothes, food over flow items, fishing and safety gear and general stowage to get things out of the way and keep the balance of the cabin open during day trips. Stand up head is useful size, plenty of room for up to a 6' person. Helm area better than the smaller boats, best with a companion seat in my opinion. Helm provides a nice area when things get snotty and the aft cockpit is perfect size. Can add a large cooler for additional seating or beanbag chairs. The rigging station is a bit of a trade off, I liked the extra seat height platform on the 282 Sailfish, but you get the sink and lure storage with the higher seat (usable but a tad high). Great boat in the chop and will likely handle more sea than most want to be out in. Rides more like a yacht coming from the 282 to the 300, really feels that solid with the extra length and beam. If I get another new boat, it will be the Marlin again.

Reactions: el jefe