Marlin 300 Electronic Box question

devildogdad

Reaction score
In two weeks I will be taking possession of my 2011marlin 300. I would say I am 99% satisfied with my decision. BUT for 1/4 million dollars they sure could have come up with a better design for the helm electronic radio box. It can not take today's modern size electronics.
Anyway I went were gallery/album.php?album_id=18&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&start=12 and noted that there are three or four consoles there that appear to have had a fiberglass face plate put on that can accept the bigger displays.

Can anyone tell me where to get this face plate.
thanks.

StriperMan

Reaction score
Not sure if you are referencing a custom mount for your radio box or the flush mount that should come standard on the Marlin. When I took delivery of mine ( 06 Marlin ) I also felt that the size of the flush mount area really limited my choices. Finally went with the Furuno NavNet VX2 system with a 10.4" display and a 7" display. With the latest Furuno and other manufactures with 12 " + displays, you really need to be selective and make sure your selection fits your boating / fishing requirements.

For the rest of my electronics, I put my radio above in the radio box with a secondary remote to the right of my wheel. Simrad Auto Pilot and my control for my ACR spotlight went to the vertical flats to the left of the wheel. If I had to select my electronics today with the space limitations, I would definitely have a custom flush mount made for my radio box as I would definitely choose the Furuno NavNet 3D with the 12.1" display. My other unit, an 8" display, would go in the above radio box moving my radio to the port side box with secondary remote to the right of the wheel.

Regardless of the difficult choices, congratulations, as you have purchased a great boat and hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed my boat.

devildogdad

Reaction score
there are at least four photos of helms that show an enlarged fiberglass flat surface that allows the larger electronics. This would have to be custom made. Since all four seem identical but are on different boats I thought maybe someone had a source for this.
I have been in contact with custom electronic installers and they can solve the problem. as one said there is nothing that can't be fixed on a boat with enough money. :bang

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
First, congrats on your new boat!!!!

Second, it looks like the lockable electronics box is actually an option and the flush mount configuration is the standard set-up. Watch the walkthrough video of the Marlin on the Grady web sight.

Good Luck!

StriperMan

Reaction score
Unless GW made a change for 2011, your boat will come standard with the flush mount you see in the photo gallery. I would definitely check with your dealer before you engage anyone to customize your boat. GW dealers, at least mine, has been the best source of information as to what works best for most applications concerning electronic packages. My dealer gave me multiple options on selection of the package and gave me the best competitive price on the package and the install. As I stated in my earlier post, you really need to identify how you intend to use your boat. I set mine up as a serious fishing boat although my success at catching falls way short of the capability of my electronics.

StriperMan

Reaction score
Unless GW made a change for 2011, your boat will come standard with the flush mount you see in the photo gallery. I would definitely check with your dealer before you engage anyone to customize your boat. GW dealers, at least mine, has been the best source of information as to what works best for most applications concerning electronic packages. My dealer gave me multiple options on selection of the package and gave me the best competitive price on the package and the install. As I stated in my earlier post, you really need to identify how you intend to use your boat. I set mine up as a serious fishing boat although my success at catching falls way short of the capability of my electronics.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Devildad... Journeymen and Striperman are correct. The 2011 comes standard with the flush mount option and the electronics box with the door is optional. Three of the pics you are looking at are of my '05 Marlin... those are Furuno Navnet II 10" and 7.5" screens... that is about as big as you can go with the flush mount... really a shame they haven't designed a new flush mount to hold two 12" units... must be cost prohibitive.

Good luck & congrats on a great purchase.

Gary M

Reaction score
Just my .02 worth.

When deciding on what to put where, a wise man once suggested, to put the most used, most looked at stuff right in front of you. Anything else can go up above. And when it was time to flush mount my 2001 Marlin, I put the 10" NavNet and 7" Furuno FF right in front of me. The VHF went up above with the mic holder mounted between the two boxes above.......

A buddy mounted his NavNet above on his Luhrs and he has to actually stand up to push any buttons!! I stay seated and just lean a bit forward........

Good luck with the new boat, you'll love it!

OBB-Abaco2009010.jpg

devildogdad

Reaction score
I just received the specs for the electronics panel size from Grady White. A 12 inch display should have NO problem being flush mounted without any special modification.

devildogdad

Reaction score
well it took a bit longer than two weeks but the boat arrived last week and Quality Tee Tops in Tarpon just finished the install on my electronics. apparently Grady did enlarge the panel for the electronics. I have a Raymarine 120W and Radio with room left for a future auto pilot..

P9140084.jpg

It goes back to the dealer for make ready and then delivery..... :praise

Fishtales

Reaction score
Glad you are happy with it. Looks nice. I fit the E120 and E80 in mine with the radio above in the radio box. What is the list price of a 300 these days? In 06 it was $230K pretty much loaded.

devildogdad

Reaction score
MSRP on a fully loaded 2012 is a bit north of $250... Twice what I paid for my first house... :bang