Marlin 300 Michigan to Florida

dward

Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a Marlin 300 to fish on Lake Michigan in the summer and take it to the South Florida family place in the winter. I've got a 7.3 diesel Excursion and have a towing max of 12,000 lbs. Here are my estimates for towing weights. The boat I'm considering is listed at 7500 dry + 1200 (2-f225s)+ 500 fuel (I'll get it down for trip) + 1,000 boat has generator + other options. I think I can get a heavy duty triple axle aluminum trailer that weighs about 1500 lbs. Adding this all up I come in at 11,700 which is under 12,000 lbs. Am I missing anything?

Also curious if anyone has experience trailering their boat down south and back once a year? I know I'll need permits for the width......how tough is it to line them up across multiple states?
Thanks for any feedback - Dan

gerrys

Reaction score
I've trailered the Marlin and can honestly say that I wouldn't do it w/o a dually. I had a F250 diesel set up for heavy hauls and it pulled it fine - but in my estimation paying a hauler is well worth it, particulary considering the distance you're travelling.

dward

Reaction score
I pull a 10-11 thousand pound trailer out elk hunting up into the mountains (about the same distance as going to Florida) every fall. And believe me there are some snake trails we go up at the end. I have a propride hitch (same as hensley) to eliminate sway, so I'm comfortable towing anything up to 12,000 lbs with my Excursion. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I was missing weightwize.

Thanks - Dan

dgreen1069

Reaction score
I also have a Marlin and an Excursion. Although I do not trailer mine, I would not hesitate to pull the weight with my truck. My hesitation would be the height of the boat.....that is a tall load when it is sitting on a trailer. For me, it would be too much of a pain to remove all the crap from my hardtop so I could fit under all the bridges.

Good luck though. As long as you are under the weight of the rear tires and axles, you will probably be fine.

magi111

Reaction score
This site use full to all around the would, use it develop both…..
This site use of all the would and system news and helps known every one…..

Tires Florida

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My 300 has been roughly weighed with full load and fuel @ 12500. Just be aware you are knocking close to a 12K weight limit if you have most of the options and fuel tanks full.