Marlin 300 Replacement Windlass

shawnod7

Reaction score
Website
www.enviroairtech.com
I need to replace the windlass on my 2001 Marlin 300. Can anyone give me a recommendation as to a replacement windlass as well as any advice on the installation? I am in New Jersey and there is a manufacturer here Good Windlass that seems to make a good one, but I was hoping to hear from someone with another Marlin that has experienced replacing theirs.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Keep things simple - stick with one thread. Other thread: https://www.greatgrady.com/threads/marlin-300-replacement-windlass.27189/

With this current thread, you provided more info so let's stick with this one and disregard the one in the Tips section.

Here's my comment from that one. Thoughts?

The easiest thing would be to replace with the same model, making it essentially a plug-n-play. Have you thought about fixing it or getting it rebuilt? Some manufacturers offer that service.

mleads310

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
To just add some thought. I currently have a 2001 282 and will replacing mine shortly with a model as close to what is there now, but with freefall option. My unit is working properly but hate the power down instead of freefall. From what I could gather, most newer models will require some rewiring, and breaker etc, as they draw a slightly higher amperage. Also there hole pattern will be slightly different. So I guess everything would depend on:
why are you replacing.... Want freefall option? current windlass is broken? Repairable?

Let's assume it's broken and not repairable... Well then expect to run some new wiring and possibly modifying your anchor hatch/locker (unless you can find a model with same amperage and similar holler pattern... Something I'm in the middle I trying to find now)Not a big job, but something to consider.

As far as GOOD Windlass, they are amazing both in quality and service. My last boat had their windlass on it and I had it rebuilt(purchased a broken one online with purpose of having it rebuilt). The owner sat with me in person, showed me around and went thru the process. They do draw alot of power tho! They are pricey And some models aren't the prettiest. But they are built to last and one of the few units you don't need to tie off when anchor is set. Infact if I remember correctly they were able to look up there serial number of the unit I had and I think it was from the 80's or something. Now is this to say I'll replace my current windlass with a GOOD Windlass.... Honestly not sure. I'm still deciding cost verses modification etc as I type this.

Mr.crab

Reaction score
Five oceans marine best price I found works great have 300ft chain

Attachments

• 4E45275A-A11D-45E9-8E39-718054F7E155.jpeg
    4E45275A-A11D-45E9-8E39-718054F7E155.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
  • C1E4EE9A-4B17-467F-B328-A318E364601D.jpeg
    C1E4EE9A-4B17-467F-B328-A318E364601D.jpeg
    984.1 KB · Views: 20

Fishtales

Reaction score
I would do the same as well. When you can or if it isn't a big price delta. I would always follow that guide with boat repairs.