Marlin 300 vs. 33 Express Handling opinions

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2005 Marlin. Love it but at some time I will need more cabin space and a 33 express seems to be a logical move.

I am curious on how the the handling and ride is on the 33 express.

I have been told that a 33 express with twin 250's does not handle as well as a Marlin in a following sea? This was from an experienced GW broker who has been on both models. The disclaimer is he had only been on the 33 express with twin 250's and that was his opinion.

I would think a 33 express with twin 350's may be better handling with the weight (and power) of the 350's. Does anyone have real life experience in comparing these two boats?

Thanks

Coconut330

Reaction score
I have a 33 and have been on a 30 quite a few times. They do handle differently because of the size. It is something you have to get use to. As far as different power on the 33 I had F225's and now I have the F300's and I didn't notice any different handling.I have also been on a 33 with the F350's. I've been in some pretty snotty weather in both boats. What I like about the 33 or any other express if you catch a wave it will roll off the deck. The 30 or any other walk around will funnel the water into the cockpit.
Both are great boats. The 30 is easier to trailer and is a quicker and better on fuel. If you overnight and need more room the 33 is better for that .
The 33 is great boat. We take it to Bahamas and fish 100 plus miles offshore.
The 30 acts like a big outboard.
The 33 acts like a small express.
:praise

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thank you. Just got back from the Bahamas on Thursday ran about 100 each day to spearfish.

Love Grady Whites

alfa1023

Reaction score
Not quite the comparison you asked, but I had a 272 Sailfish prior to getting the 330 Express. Both have/had Yami F250's. The Sailfish was expectedly stern heavy with these motors, but handled the weight well and seemed to handle all seas great. Loved the boat but we wanted something bigger.

The 330 Express with the F250's carries its weight much more forward. So reports of issues in following seas are likely due to that. What I do is put as much weight as far back as I can if we might encounter big seas while out. I keep the freshwater tank full, all my dive tanks are stored along the gunnel toward the stern, etc. When I first got the boat, we had a couple of interesting moments, like going into a narrow inlet with a quartering following sea. One mistake I made was to throttle back, which lowered the bow even more, allowing the props to take turns blowing out with the resulting loss of steering. I also had the cabin loaded with stuff (like I would have done with my Sailfish) which was a mistake. Now that I have had the boat for awhile and learned its quirks, we have had no further issues.

It is a great boat. Feels huge compared to the Sailfish. When we bought it we also looked hard at the Marlin. For overnighting, there is no comparison. And for diving, the wide beam in the back really makes it easy for 4 divers to suit up at one time.

We have taken ours to the Bahamas a couple of times and to the Tortugas, staying on it for up to two weeks at a time. My only problem is not being able to use it as often as I would like to.

REBThunderroad

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thank you alfa! Very good info. I am thinking the extra weight of the the F350's may help as well with an additional 500 lbs on the stern!

HMBJack

Reaction score
I have owned my 2006 330 for three seasons now and would submit my boat is pretty darn good in a following sea - maybe because it is stern heavy. Not sure why - maybe it's because I tend to carry full fuel and I have the heavier (?) diesel Genset.

I have fished all day once on Marlin 300 (2007). The Marlin felt a little "small and narrow" compared to the 330 but I'm of course not objective as I love the 330 hull and express layout. The express cabin is naturally much wider than the walk around. Agreeably, the Marlin is faster and therfore easier on fuel.

One thing I would strongly suggest on either boat you decide - get one with a bow thruster. Both boats, as planning hulss, do not have alot of hull in the water. As such, they sail alot while docking in windy conditions. The bow thruster is your frined in these situations.

Good luck!

kamjd84

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I was a GW salesperson back in 2005 and spent a lot of time on both boats. I'm still a Grady Owner, but have no ties to GW or any dealer, but in my opinion, the 330 is the best handling cabin boat that Grady makes. It is better balanced than the Marlin which tends to be a little bow heavy. I liked driving the 330 even better than the 36. We had a company fishing tournament 330 and I was in some pretty big Atlantic Ocean seas in that boat and it never ceased to impress me for an outboard powered boat. Personally I'm a Center Console guy and love the 306 even more, but the express is a great boat.

Again, just my opinion as I spent a considerable amount of time on both boats you are comparing.

HMBJack

Reaction score
My 330 is powered by F250's.

I get 1 nautical mile per gallon (nmpg) on a day's fishing. Sometimes I'll get 1.2nmpg if the water is flat (rarely here off San Francisco). My boat cruises nicely at 4,700 or 4,800 rpm's at 24 knots burning 27 GPH. This .88nmpg is offset by better economy on the troll so overall, it almost always works out to 1nmpg (or slightly better if it's calm) on any distance I travel. At WOT, I think I clocked myself at 35 knots turning 5,600 rpm's.