Marlin 300 vs. Adventure 208

hammock98

Reaction score
I currently have a 1998 Adventure 208 w/ 98 Yamaha Saltwater Series 175. I've had it for 2 years and love this boat. However my neighbor across the canal would like to sell his 1990 Marlin 300 with repowered 2004 4-stroke Honda 225's (only 400 hours). I'm trying to decide to either keep the 208 and repower w/in the next season or two vs. sell the 208 and buy the Marlin 300. My end goal would be to get another 6-8 years of reliable usage from whichever option I choose. The natural concern is age of the '90 hull vs. age of the '98 motor. Cost of repowering the 208 would be higher than the sale of 208/upgrade to the Marlin 300, based on price he wants for it. FYI, I fish out of Ocean Isle Beach, NC and we primarily fish the shore to 20 mile range. Any advise/guidance would be appreciated.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
First, sea trial the Marlin and see if you like it. one of the down sides to the 1990 hull is it is not a SV2 hull. The ride between the two is significant, but since you are going bigger even a non SV2 hull boat nearly 10 feet longer, with a wider beam and just plain more mass will ride better than your boat. The economics and math I will leave to you since these are your choices, your needs and your budget, not mine. I would like a Marlin one day myself. I know this post is not much help, but these kinds of questions are or can be tricky.

2006 Adventure 208

Reaction score
I have a 2006 Adventure 208 with a 225 Yamaha F.S.. It is what I need for what I do and with fuel prices continuing to go up I decided not to go to the next level in size and twin engines. The Adventure rides good and is easy to handle and trailers well . With 3 guys, gear and good weather I get a good ride right at 3 M.P.G. at 4000 R.P.M. We pick our days for going offshore . As stated previously the SV2 hull will make a difference in the ride. I too run out of O.I.B.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure all of the 28 to 30 foot marlins are SeaV2 (1989 till present), might want to check with Grady.

hammock98

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. I'll be back down in 2 weekends and am planning the sea trial then. The economics make sense for me. My big question is whether I'm foolish for regressing from a '98 hull to a '90 hull. Some of this is obviously circumstantial, seeing as how I can't afford a newer Marlin anyway. Wish I could keep both!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi,
Just remember that is a 24 year old hull. Make sure you get a survey. Get those engines scoped.

hammock98

Reaction score
I will have a survey done. Anyone have a contact in the OIB area? The seller and I use the same maintenance guy, so I figure a neutral party may be ideal.

Does anyone have experience or know the risk/probability of wood rot on an older hull? I assume Grady used wooden components in this model spec. transom, stringers, ribs...

billyttpd

Reaction score
I think in 1990 it was the 28 Marlin. It had the Sea Vee 2 hull though.

billyttpd

Reaction score
it most definitely is a CV2. The 1989 Marlin was the first model to have the CV2.

Clockwork

Reaction score
Thats such a big jump in size its all depending on you. Nothing wrong with going back 8 years if the hull and motors are sound. I recently went from an overnighter 204 to a sailfish 25 about half the jump you're thinking about. Seav2 or not the marlin will feel like a freighter compared to the 208. Just be prepared for all the additional issues with owning a large boat. The surface area alone is staggering in comparison when you go to clean it as are all the extra features to maintai but its all worth it once its on the water.

Just look it over closely. When I bought mine I went from a completely outfitted and maintained overnighter to the sailfish that ended up needing a ton of work. Im just now finishing up the 6month project 1 day before opening day.

Slacktime

Reaction score
I went from a 2000 adventure 208 to a 2003 Marlin in 2010. No comparison. When I first got it underway at hull speed, I thought I was driving the Grand Banks 36 that I chartered one time. The 208 pops up on plane, the Marlin eases up on plane. My insurance Broker cancelled my "boat" policy and wrote a "Yacht" policy. It is the first boat that the admiral is in love with and has no fear of boarding. Never mind the ride, the flush toilet alone is enough to convince her. For Maintenance, it is a lot of yacht with all the systems and when you work on the engines, you need two of everything and twice as much time.. Dockage is more of course because it is a bigger boat. This boat cannot be easily trailered unless you have a super duty truck and a wide load permit. This is probably the largest boat I would take out single handed, but with the twins, it is a snap.

fischer

Reaction score
Clockwork makes an apt comparison and Slacktime's experience is similar to mine. The wife loves it and that's 90% of the battle. In January, I went from a boat about the size of yours to a 2006 Marlin and the difference is profound, mostly in a good way. Bad stuff - Fuel consumption is going to be at least twice what you're used to. Getting ready to go out and cleaning up when I get home eat up additional time. Trailering and getting the boat back on the trailer are kind of a big production but nothing we can't handle. The payoff in space, ride quality and amenities are more than worth it. Still learning four months later how to pilot and dock the boat - docking really makes you ponder the laws of physics - but it's getting easier. We recently returned from a week cruise to the Keys and loved every minute on our Marlin. We have plenty of range now for trips like the middle ground, Bahamas, Dry Tortugas but even day trips are more comfortable and fun. No regrets!

6gulls1buoy

Reaction score
I also am looking at a similar trade up in size, with the same trade off in age.

Does anyone know how common wood rot is on boats of this vintage? Does a soft transom or any other part make the boat unusable? How does someone detect this type of issue? Can you just live with it...i.e. a mushy spot on the deck? OR does wood rot make the boat unusable?