Marlin 4 blade prop rec...

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Instead of buying a spare set of 3 blades I want to just go ahead a pick up a set of 4 blades. I think I'm looking at the 15 diameter 19 pitch powertech. I usually run a pretty heavy boat and want more lower end cruising through chop efficiency than top end speed. Anyone have anything other than PT or different size they like/don't like?
Thanks
Nick

LeapFrog

Reaction score
What props do you have now??? mine are 17" pitch 3 blades... when you switch to 4 blades, you typically go with an inch or two less pitch... this will give you more low end torque and slightly less mph and still stay in the same WOT RPM range... I haven't made the switch yet, but will soon and likely get the PowerTech OFS4 in 15 or 16 pitch...
Not an expert, but have talked with several prop companies and numerous searches for as much info as I could... (since I'm an engineer I need to "know how things work!") :mrgreen:

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for that contact Devil. I called and talked to Ken, and he recommended the Merc Rev 4 blade in a 17 pitch. He assured me that putting a Mercury part on my Yamaha will NOT cause it to spontaneously combust :mrgreen: . I guess they have quick change hubs which sounds like a cool feature, no need for spare props then, just hubs :uhm . I will post some performance numbers in a couple weeks when I get them. Yesterday with the 3 blade 19s yamaha swsII, 300 gallons of fuel I was getting 5700 mildly trimmed at 47 MPH burning :bang...lets not talk about it.
thanks
Nick

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Looking forward to the results. Also, can we talk about the fuel consumption numbers? Would be good to compare the cruise at rpm and compare difference.

devildogdad

Reaction score
yes fuel burn numbers when you can. I love my boat, it loves fuel. :bang

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
All this prop stuff makes my head spin. I thought as long as you achieved max RPM for the engines the props where fine. More RPM's mean underproped, less RPM's means overproped. So are we saying that with 4-blade props you will make max RPM, decrease fuel consumption, and maintain the same WOT? If ALL of this is not achieved is the expense worth it?? I don't think any of us are worried about better hole-shots right? The Marlins are gas-hogs, don't think there's anyway around that.

LeapFrog

Reaction score
For a given prop company's make and model, yes, you want the prop to give you the proper max RPM at WOT and this is done by changing the prop's pitch... the right pitch can change when you change prop brands and/or styles... the pitch will definitely change when you go from a three to a four blade prop... In general you need to drop an inch or two in pitch which ultimately results in a lower top end speed... the real advantage of a four blade, is you can get and stay on plane at a lower speed... you need to decide what speeds you use most often and pick the prop that will work best for you... my Marlin likes a 3-7 mph troll or to be cruising between 22 and 35mph... anything in between or above it's hating life or I'm hating my wallet... I don't care if my top speed drops from 42 down to 40 as the fuel burn is obscene at full throttle... the other reason I'm looking to move to the four blade is for the extra grip... I lifted my motors one hole last year... they were buried deep below where they should be and I couldn't come anywhere near the speed and RPMs I should have... raising the motors definitely helped the boat run and handle better, but the props will occassionally slip on a turn or on an unexpected wave or boat wake... the four blades should help with that...
Does it make sense to change props to recover the cost of buying them??? Yeah right... not a chance!!! but if you need new props (both of mine have a small crack in one of the blades), yes... and get the right one for how you use the boat... whether it be a three or four blade prop... for what it's worth, I've never seen a complaint from someone who has made the switch to four blades...

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Good info Leap. Yep, my cav plates are buried also. Think this is a characteristic with the Marlins & Sailfish. Be intersting to know if the newer Sailfish & Marlins with 4-strokes do the same. I've considered raising my engines a hole but am concerned about blow out. How much of a chore was it to raise the motors?? I have so much 5200 squished around the bolts, can't imagine this being an easy job. How in the world did you crack stainless steel props?

LeapFrog

Reaction score
I pulled the boat last year because of the hurricane... while on land it was fairly straight forward... the marina had a boom truck... pull the cowling, connect the boom via a chain, four nuts/bolt (access thru a portal), lift slightly silicone and reassemble... Total cost was about $300 for both motors which included the boom truck and a couple hours labor... Glad the marina talked me out of two holes... one was plenty...

No clue about the props... it's a small hairline that I noticed last fall when the boat was pulled... I'd be surprised that the surveyor missed it two years ago when I bought the boat, but I know I've never hit anything...

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well Leap I think you ought to forget all this stuff about 4-blade props. Grab the check book and get yourself a pair of those F300's :dance . Bet Grady would give you a letter since they're lighter than the old F225's. That Marlin would run like a bat outa hell...

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I run heavy and my fuel burn yesterday on a dive trip I burned 64 gallons and the total trip was 66 miles. Cruising at 4200 23-26 knots in roughly 2-3 wind chop. When I say heavy, 300 gallons fuel, 8 full grown men, 16 dive tanks, 320 quart cooler full of ice, full water and my lunch. Rpm gph I don't have accurate enough but before I switch the props I will take a run and get the real world numbers. To answer the "why" I needed spare props and dropping the dough into props just to sit in the cabin was rough. So instead I decided to get some with a differant purpose. Those heavy days running offshore I want to be able to slow down a little and stay on plane. If I didn't need a spare set I would just live with what I have (which isn't bad) there is just better for my purposes.
Nick

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Since I am lousy at typing, please see the attached links in my post below.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17839

For my needs they are nearly perfect. However, if I carried another 500 lbs regularly I would not be able to spin my props higher than 5400 or thereabouts.

Coconut330

Reaction score
Nick...... Just get the Rev 4's you will love them. I had them on my 28 with the 225's and now use them on the 330 with the 300"s. I'll let you try mine if you want to see what they will do. The trip we just did to the Abaco's I had a super heavy load, 7 people, food, dive,fish gear ect. I hardly noticed any difference in performance . They are great in following sea. I have no cavitation even in tight turns.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks Rob. I ordered the Revs about a week ago so hopefully I get them soon. Looking forward to trying them out.

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nik can you confirm that your cavitation plates are out of the water? Leapfrog has an earlier model of your boat and had buried plates with lighter OX66's. Can't wait to hear a report on you new props.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Re: Marlin 4 blade prop rec... Update!

Finally got the props on, Merc Rev 4 17 pitch. What a difference, it truly feels like the difference of 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive on the road. I am finally seeing the furl burn numbers I have been hoping for and only lost 4 MPH at the top end. If you are running 3 blades and are thinking about a new set, pull the trigger you will not be disappointed. I wish i did it a long time ago. I only had a short run to where I put the boat up and it was about to storm so I didn't get the chance to do a full rpm range but heres what I got with 200 gallons of fuel on board.
3 blades
cruise 3800 RPM 1.19 MPG 28MPH
WOT 5800

4 blades
cruise 3800rpm 1.5 MPG 26 MPH

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
That's a huge improvement nik, and not much difference in speed. When do you think the fuel savings will pay for the props?

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Could be a while but what I'm more excited about is that little bit increase in range gives me much more confidence running to the tuna grounds. The boat holds a plane very well with the 4 blade at 15 knots and maintained that effeciency which I could not do with the 3. Being able to slow down when its choppy, and stay on plane is what I got the props for. I can't wait to go fishing with them.
Nick

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi NikM820, been a while now, how do you like the 4 blades? I am thinking that I might get same results as you in regards to keeping on plane at lower rpm/speed on a rough day and also maybe improving that jump on plane transition during a high speed trolling effort where it goes from 10 to 18mph, it doesn't want to maintain a speed. Either want to fall back in or jump on top. Seems 4 blades would control better in that area.
Have you checked/compared performance in the area of say...30 or 35 mph in regards to fuel burn being the same as before or better?