Marlin cracked head floor. Anyone else?

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
A few months ago I noticed this small crack in the floor of the head. Over time it has grown in size and you can see it's not far away from opening up a lot more. I did a Google search and found someone with the same crack in the same place. Just wondering if anyone else has fixed this and can give me some insight into what I can expect.
I had a guy come out to quote the repair and he estimated about $1500. I sent some pics to Grady to see what they think but before I commit to the repair I'm curious what others have done.

The boats an 05 with 2014 F300s.
Thanks
Nick
ill post a pic once it finally uploads

Fishtales

Reaction score
Will check. I have not noticed. Keep us in the loop with the repair and process.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The photo I posted originally was a screen shot of another guys marlin I found online. I took a photo yesterday of mine and you can see how similar they are.

LastChance

Reaction score
Not sure if there is a delicate way to ask this; are there any exceedingly large family members or visitors who use the head on a regular basis? The crack suggests a stress point, flexed either by weight from above or possibly hull flexing from below, due to heavy waves at speed or perhaps improper blocking on the hard. The Grady factory folks should certainly have an opinion about this structural failure.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Nah, no large family members although, thanks for a laugh. I went in there while running the last trip and I could feel that section vibrating around. I do run the boat offshore a lot and conditions are not usually the greatest. I'm sure it's just it's time.
For someone to have the same crack in the same place in thinking it's just a weak spot. Just hoping someone else on the forum can answer some questions for me before I go ahead with the repair. Id like to just do it myself if it's something basic.

I'm still waiting on Grady White to get back to me.
Nick

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You're right - it can't be a coincidence that the cracks showed up in the exact same places in two boats. Weird.

I can't see it too well in the picture, but it almost looks like there was a void that opened up? What are the "holes" like? Are they completely open (hollow), or can you see any fiberglass in there? With the shape of the holes and the fact that they're on an outside edge, it reminds me of an air pocket/void. Basically, it's an air pocket between the underlying fiberglass and the gelcoat. Sort of like a bubble, just waiting to open up.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin

Here was the response from Grady White. I am glad I asked, looks pretty simple to do and will definitely wait and take care of the issue when I have some time.
Nick

Fishtales

Reaction score
Looks like a design or mfg defect if you ask me.
You think they would fix it for you.

NikM820

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I'm just happy they got back to me how they did and with repair instructions. The boats 11 years old and doesn't owe me anything. I don't mind handling this kind of repair.
Nick