Marlin docking help stern to with wind

liinw8

Reaction score
I could use some tips on docking my Marlin stern to WITH the wind. Backing up with the wind (yikes) I keep losing the bow and then it seems like a split second until I'm too close broadside to my neighbors' slip to make any corrections other than to creatively pivot off one of the pilings on either side (thank goodness for those pilings!). One thing I'm considering is whether to try spinning the boat even closer to my slip (giving less time to lose the bow and veer of course while backing up with the wind), but that gives me even less room and less margin of error to back up, and I also have to make sure I have enough time to spin before I'm too close. Is this just an example of where backing up with the wind cancels out the typical benefits of keeping the bow pointed toward the wind? Any suggestions?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
It's always best to try to set it up so your backing against the wind so the wind can act as a brake. If that's not possible and mostly your forced to stern in with the wind..

You didn't say whether you are using the wheel or turning with your engines only.

I suggest centering the engines JUST before you begin your spin to stern in. At that point, depending on the wind velocity, rev your engines up,(3 grand if you have to) and execute your usual maneuver into the slip. I am assuming you have twin engine docking experience.
The boat will counter the effects of the wind more efficently with the engines cranking and be more receptive to your throttle nuances.
I would strongly advise against using the wheel during your close-quarter maneuvers here. Revved-up engines, trimmed up somewhat will allow you more quick response and make it harder for the wind to get you broadside to the slip.

If you need a bit of help on twin-engine docking in itself, we can go there too.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My previous boat was a Boston Whaler 28 Conquest which is a similar size to the 300 Marlin. Without a bow thruster, these boats can be very difficult to dock stern in with a cross-wind blowing off the dock. My slip doesn't have a downwind piling eliminating the ability to pivot or push off the piling.

As liinw8 points out, you need to back towards the wind coming in at about a 45 degree angle and then pivot the boat at the last minute so you end up sliding in sideways still moving upwind towards the dock. If the wind is blowing strong you'll only have a few moments dockside before it blows your bow off. I'd suggest lowering or zipping up any canvas to reduce your sail area. Also if you have a helper, you can have him/her step off onto the dock just as you are just entering the slip, holding the mid-cleat line and then quickly wrap the line around one of first dockside cleats, holding it fast. Then you can gently back against this line with your motors pointed somewhat away from the dock and as the line comes tight it will pull you against the dock. If your helper just takes a single wrap around the cleat he/she can slowly adjust the amount of line needed to back you in to the right spot.

However, all the above is just theory and in practice being able to do this will depend hugely on your sail area and how much the wind takes your bow vs just blows you sideways. It will also depend on how well your boat pivots either using the two engine technique (one in forward, the other in reverse) or treating them like a single and using the wheel. On my whaler, my engines were quite close together so I was unable to pivot the boat towards the wind if it was blowing more than 10 knots or so. So if I had to dock single handedly and the wind was up, I would just punt and go in bow first. I have my fenders attached to the dock so I can easily swap which way I go in.

Fortunately my grady has a bow thruster which makes the pivot much much easier and I can even crab the boat upwind.

liinw8

Reaction score
I spent considerable time with this yesterday practicing. Throttles only with plenty of power definitely yields more control in close quarter maneuvering for the most part. However, after using only the throttles to stem the wind and position to back up, the wheel seems to be better for reverse steering. It seems like she just doesn't steer as well in reverse with throttles only, but I need to play around some more to see if that's definitely the case.

devildogdad

Reaction score
There really is nothing wrong with using the piling to ease around a turn. Just make sure you don't ram it, but gently touch it and pivot. That is why you have a rub rail. if you don't smack it hard you are fine.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Practicing is your best tool. It is hard to describe with the typed word how to counteract a sudden gust of wind broadside or outline split-second close-quarter maneuvers once your committed to the final approach.

The revved-up engines was a tip I got from a Sea Tow Capt. Using the wheel close-in with a boat the size of a Marlin will move it around, but not give you the subtle port & stbd shifts during sternway that the engines will. Think of a bowthruster quickly moving the bow over 1-2 feet vs. spinning the wheel and the whole boat slowly turning. Spinning the wheel back and forth, sometimes lock-to-lock inside a slip works against me.

As I mentioned above, make sure your engines are trimmed up somewhat so that the propwash is directed down below the V hull. You'll get more thrust that way.

Secondly,everwhom had a good thought; Make sure your side curtains are rolled up to reduce windage.

One more thing, I angle the stern toward the finger pier slightly while backing in. Not much, maybe 10 degrees. If it's say, a stbd side tie, I'll have the stbd Yamaha in reverse, bumping the port engine in and out of reverse. As I come next to the pier, I'll bump the port engine into forward, kicking the stern out a bit, parallelling me to the pier.

I am not mentioning all the times I screw it up, 'cause it doesn't look good on my explanation, but I'm aiming for full disclosure here. There will always be good days and bad days docking

You'll get it and when you get there consistently, you'll be real happy.