Marlin electronics upgrade?

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed in the past but wondering what current opinions are on this subject.

I am considering upgrading my electronics package on my 03 marlin. Currently I have a furuno nav net 1' 10" screen and a separate furuno ff, 7" that are both mounted on a custom starboard at was mounted on the front of the electronics box. This was done when the boat was new, I have now had e boat for 2 seasons.

I also have a newer garmin 10" gps with sat weather mounted in the overhead box on the port side, starboard I have 2 VHF.

My fish finder seems to have suddenly died which is part of what has me thinking that this might be the time to make the move.

I use the boat for a fair amount of fishing, so would like to get something that would give me a better image for radar and also be able to overlay. I know my current unit can do it, but have not been able to make that happen since getting the boat. I have the space on the roof to go with an open array so thinking that may be an option.

I have been ver impressed with furuno customer service over the years so have some brand loyalty there, but in see a lot of ray marine these days.

I have space limitations with the size of the box on the 03 marlin, has anyone been able to install a 12" screen?

I like having the ff sepate but that limits the size for sure. Wight the backup unit above, would be nice to have the option of bringing up a large sounder.

Would love to be able to integrate the auto pilot into the mix as well, but not sure how possible that is without upgrading it as well. Currently is is a s imrad, while it works, there has been some issue with it since I got the boat, I suspect with the flux compass. Mechanically it works, but I get strange compass readings which seem to change depending on the actual heading.

Thanks for your help
Mike

I have space limitations, with

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hi
I have the Raymarine E120 and E80 side by side in the flushmount dash. A pic is in the Marlin gallery on page #2. I like the Ray equipment and have had no issues to date. Software updates are easy to do via a compact flash card, you can download via the website if you have a burner. I went with a 24" dome radar, would probably do an open array today if I were replacing. The radar overlay is great. I have the radio above with an external speaker on the other side of the top radio box. I don't think you can go wrong with many of the brands today. You probably need to get size infomation to see what you can fit in the dash. Get what you like and are familiar with.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Marlin, and I installed 2 12" Raymarine E120's. The main unit is in the electronics box on the helm. It is mounted on a piece of Starboard.....the top of the box had to be trimmed a bit (I wasn't thrilled about that), but the installed was finished off with a small piece of Starboard trim on the top (sealed with caulking). The second unit is mounted in the starboard overhead box....it is also mounted on a piece of Starboard along with my radio and searchlight control. Here are a few photos of my setup.

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Made a visit to the electronics dealer today, and came away with a lot of info and a lot to think about. Considering the furuno option as well as ray marine.

Currently leaning towards replacing the port overhead garmin with a new 12" and then either going with a 12 or 14 on the main panel. Have not measured carefully yet (next step) but either way I will have to modify. I don't think I can get a 12 and 9 side by side. This will take me fro three screens now to 2, but I think I should be able to get used to it particularly if I can get a good radar overlay.

Thinking I will replace the auto pilot at the same time if the budget will support it. Anyone Abe thoughts on the ray marine auto pilot? Thinking all the same might be nice for getting all to talk together better.

Does anyone have some closeups of their roof with an open array installed?

Thanks for the help
Mike

dgreen1069

Reaction score
I don't have any closeups, but here are a couple of photos where you can see my radar.

IMG_0306-2.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the photos, nice looking rig!
Have you been happy with your Raymarine set up? Or wish you had done anyting differently?
thanks

devildogdad

Reaction score
This is my set up, so far happy with Raymarine. This is the E120W Each person has their own favorites.
P9140084.jpg

P9140087.jpg

P9140088.jpg

dgreen1069

Reaction score
MikeC said:
Thanks for the photos, nice looking rig!
Have you been happy with your Raymarine set up? Or wish you had done anyting differently?
thanks

I have been extremely happy with my setup. The 2 12" displays are probably overkill for a Marlin, but I like it and it will probably help with resale down the road. The Raymarine equipment is fairly intuitive....not perfect, but better than a lot of systems out there. I have a Furuno gps/depth finder combo unit mounted in the port side overhead cabinet. It came with my boat and I kept is as a spare...just in case I have a failure. Furuno has a great reputation, but I think they can be a little more complicated. The only thing I wish was different on my boat is the helm electronics box...I wish it was bigger! Whatever you do, make sure your equipment is all digital. The clarity of a digital depth finder vs. analog is similar in difference to a VCR and Bluray.

MikeC

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks. Currently I am leaning towards hitting the bullet and going with the 14" at the helm and a 12 on the port overhead. With my 03 I am going to have to cut anyhow and I think I can modify to get the 14 in and still have it look pretty decent. Unfortunately, the current rebate program is only for the 12" though.
Do you have autopilot? I have an older so rad that I am having trouble with so also leaning towards replacing that with the ray marine. Simrad has a great reputation, but thinking it may be worth having all ray marine for benefits of having all speaking the same language.

dgreen1069

Reaction score
I do not have autopilot, but I wish I did! It is currently on my wish list!