Marlin Fish Box

liinw8

Reaction score
On the '99 Marlin is the fish box the large space port side under the lower seating step? If so it seems like an awkward shape since it curves and narrows back deep on one side and I'm not sure how it drains. Do most people just use portable coolers as fish box instead of that area and use that area for storage or do I have the layout confused? Thanks, Ed.

onoahimahi

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes - it is a 275 qt fishbox with an overboard drain. On my Sailfish, I have a 260 qt on the starboard side and a 104 qt on the port side. I keep my fish in coolers and use my starboard box for general storage and my port box for storing my fenders after leaving the dock.

Gary M

Reaction score
Sounds like yours is like my 2001 Marlins' fish box. It's 'big' for sure but long and narrow but the worst thing about it is the small door/lid. Trying to lower a flipping/flopping dolphin in there is tough!

For bottom fish, I put a 72 or 94 QT Igloo on top as I'm afraid that a fish or two will get stuck way forward in the box and that I may never be able to get them out! That kind of defeats the purpose for a 'fish box' though. Just goes to show that even G-W can make a boo-boo on occasion!

Use one of those rubber/mesh mats under your cooler to keep it from sliding off....