Marlin fuel burn with 225/250 four strokes

jehines3

Reaction score
What fuel numbers are people getting with 225 or 250 four stroke motors on a Marlin?

I've been a diehard 2 stroke fan, but the price of oil has me reconsidering since the new 2 cycle motors are very picky about oil. My neighbor is paying $40/gal for Evinrude XD100 and averaging about a 70-80:1 mix. Not all that impressive IMO.

With My Johnson's I'm getting about 0.9MPG cruise with my old bottom. We'll see what a new bottom does for those numbers. jh

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
Fuel

While sea trialing our new 305 Express this past Monday with 6 people on board in a 2 foot chop we were getting anywhere from 1.3-1.5 mpg with the F250's. The express is also around 500lbs heavier than the Marlin and probably has more wind resistance due to the width of the helm area, so the Marlin's numbers are probably a bit better. Megabytes should be chiming in, and he'll be able to give you some numbers on the Marlin.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
chime chime chime :lol:

I routinely burn around 135g +/- 5g on a gulfstream trip. This has been very consistent given reasonable conditions. In good seas I run at 4700 which will produce 28-29 kts. Econ in these conditions is around 1.3 - 1.4 MPG (my FMS is set to statute but my GPS and RD30s are in NM). In best conditions I run trim at 4 bars. Above that the prop will start to slip.

Trolling at 1300 rpm in the stream runs around 5-6 kts depend on the current and that burn is 3-4 GPH. Slow trolling with a single engine in gear doesn't read on the FMS.

Hope that helps. All number are full fuel (leaving the dock), at least 1/2 water, and 3-4 persons. I also have the genset and plenty of gear so the boat is HEAVY.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
F225s on 2002 Marlin and I will average 1.3 - 1.4 over the course of the season. I carry a full tackle shop at all times, full water, seldom less than half fuel, my wife's clothing and shoe wardrobes and canvas is always on.

jehines3

Reaction score
Thanks, to everyone who posted.

This is anywhere from 0.3-0.5 improvement over my current fuel use. I probably burned 700g last season. So If I could improve that by roughly .4mpg (~40%), that would generate roughly a 280 gallon savings on last years fuel burn. If this season we hit $4.00 gas 280g is about $1100 in fuel saved. So the fuel savings won't pay for the motors but there is always the increased resale value of the rig to consider. I'm hoping the new bottom will generate a bit of savings as well. This is all a great benefit not only to my wallet but to reduce the overall environmental impact as well.

Now if there were just a diesel outboard where I could avoid the road tax in MD. jh

jehines3

Reaction score
Both the house and senate versions of the bill failed to pass last time they were up to vote, so us poor schmucks in MD keep paying road tax for our boats with no refund.

go fish

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
I have had the F225, F250, 250 ox66, Z250 on my Biminis. The most fuel efficent engines were the F225 followed by the F250. The worst were the ox66. There is about a 2 mph difference and roughly 8% fuel burn between the F225 and F250, but they were on different boats. The F250 is much faster out of the hole, though. Last season, I burned a tad over 5000 gals, so I will be getting a nice refund check for the off road tax.