Marlin Fuel Tank Management

SwiftCloud

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I've just moved up from a 2003 Journey (258) that I had for 10 years to a 2004 Marlin (300) - so far very happy as the boat is very familiar, but different and bigger, but not too big.

One subject I have questions on is how to manage the two fuel tanks. There are two 150ish gallon fuel tanks - the aux behind the main. Since most of my trips are short, I was thinking of generally keeping one near empty so I'm not hauling around all that extra weight. That brings up a few questions / issues:

- is it better to get the weight forward (closer to the middle) than more toward the stern?
- will a near empty tank invite condensation in enough quantity to matter?
- other issues?

The boat's performance seems great when full... So, that is an option, but seems less economical.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
The Mercury service bulletin wants boats stored with tanks empty or full so empty is great. (PM me and I'll send you the link.)

My marlin likes stern weight. The cabin is heavy enough so experiment yourself and you may end up leaving the main empty.

Good luck with the boat!

Finest Kind

Reaction score
As a general rule, it's better to keep the weight off the stern, so burn off tank closest to the stern first. (the 75 gal aux on my Trophy Pro)

See my posts in the thread here for some common sense Fuel Management suggestions:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23829