Marlin Fuel Valve

BosMarlin

Reaction score
2001 Marlin - I want my fuel tanks to drain down at the same rate (assuming that is the ideal setting). The valves have a main and auxiliary setting (see picture) as does the switch at the helm. The manual says that the panel switch at the helm only indicates the fuel level and does not select the tank in use. One valve is currently set to main, and the other valve is set to auxiliary. Does that setting mean that the tanks are drawing down at the same time (i.e., one engine draws from the main tank, and the other engine draws down from the auxiliary tank)?

Attachments

• Gas Tank.jpg
    Gas Tank.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 143

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
BosMarlin said:
2001 Marlin - I want my fuel tanks to drain down at the same rate (assuming that is the ideal setting). The valves have a main and auxiliary setting (see picture) as does the switch at the helm. The manual says that the panel switch at the helm only indicates the fuel level and does not select the tank in use. One valve is currently set to main, and the other valve is set to auxiliary. Does that setting mean that the tanks are drawing down at the same time (i.e., one engine draws from the main tank, and the other engine draws down from the auxiliary tank)?

You are now, as shown in your pic, running each motor from a different tank. Notice the red tape on the AUX lines and the green tape on the Main lines. If you open the deck plate over each tank, you should see the same color tape indicating which tank is Main (usually the forward) and which is AUX (usually the aft). The tanks theoretically should empty at the same rate assuming you run the engines the same amount of hours at the same RPMs (some guys troll with one engine). Only you can tell if this is "Ideal". Some members here run this was for various reasons and some run one tank down the switch. There are many theories and preferences and they have been discussed in previous posts. You have older style gauges at the helm and must toggle the switch to see the level in each tank which requires more attention and diligence on your part,

Reactions: TerpFish